Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 7, 2017   #1
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

Default Emergency surgery!

Emergency surgery!

This is Marvelous Monty, The Monster Lab(ardor.). Last nite, like almost every nite between 7 & 9 pm, Monty starts barking. I give him treats, play with him, take him on a walk, nothing deters him. I have no clue why, but but he was doing his thing a little past 8, so I let him out in the backyard.

To my horror, one of my beautiful plants was laying flat on the ground. Obviously it was to heavy to support itself either the half-a$$ support system I Jerry rigged. There I in head light trying to make things right. My came home and she lent a not especially green thumb ( and four more fingers to make up a hand) and assisted me in rescue operations

Luckily I had a few bamboo poles for another project, managed them stand up, did a quick Florida weave (well, because — I’m in Florida)

Here is a photo of my surgical graft repair. I cut the ends so they would meet neatly and Gorilla Glue’d them together. I’m not optimistic.

What say y’all. Anything else I could have done?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5AA45494-FA1B-4EEB-8E47-B6E2DA8E38A3.jpg (761.1 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 4A85C30C-3722-4A4E-82E9-DDB8D9163C18.jpg (366.7 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by ChefBert; December 7, 2017 at 12:18 PM.
ChefBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2017   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

If it makes it the first day or two, I think you're good. The plant looks too big to move, but I think, like a newly grafted plant, it would do better with a little shade than in full sun. That may not be feasible, or required though.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2017   #3
imp
Tomatovillian™

Hopefully, your tomato plant will survive the crisis; at first I thought it was you or your family, then the dog!

Your Monty looks a lot like my Belle, except you can tell he is male and Belle is a bit smaller and her flews are tighter, but the same coloring and smile. I never intended to have a Lab, but Belle was a mmmm, unplanned dog; she was a joy to Rob and I and now she is a great support and a joy to me. Belle is the happiest animal I have ever had, LOL, always a happy girl.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2017   #4
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Hopefully, your tomato plant will survive the crisis; at first I thought it was you or your family, then the dog!

Your Monty looks a lot like my Belle, except you can tell he is male and Belle is a bit smaller and her flews are tighter, but the same coloring and smile. I never intended to have a Lab, but Belle was a mmmm, unplanned dog; she was a joy to Rob and I and now she is a great support and a joy to me. Belle is the happiest animal I have ever had, LOL, always a happy girl.
Well said. Monty is pure love, he cant stand to be more than two feet away from me. He's a BIG boy. At one point he was 88 lbs, but I've got him down to a svelte 74

As for the tomato plant, it looks like it is wilting fast. No, I am afraid to move it, it might just come apart
Old December 7, 2017   #5
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

phew! I was worried it was you, then your doggo...

If it were me (great job with the splint there btw) I would add an old sheer curtain to cover it for a day or 2. Add some fertilizer and keep the soil moist.

Love your Marvelous Monty! He reminds me of one of our dogs from long ago, Honky.

Honky adopted us. Our female dog (Baby) was in heat and he crossed the holler to get our house. It took us a few weeks? to find his rightful owner and took him home. His real name was Abel. 3 days later Honky/Abel would be back. Took him back and Honky would show up 3 days later. Repeat. His owner told us that as soon as we let him off in the front yard, he would leave through the back yard to the holler.

Now Honky was a real old dog with bad knees and hips. His owner told us he fought off a bear! and survived heart worms twice! Which explained his hoarse bark that sounded like a honk. Our girl dog adored Honky/Abel. It broke our hearts to see such an old dog struggle to get to our house so his owner agreed to let Honky live out his days with us...a house full of girls that loved on him every day and he was brave and strong to protect us.

Give your Marvelous Monty a great big squeeze and a back scratching from me
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2017   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Sorry about the tomato plant.

Love Monty . My two girls offer kisses to your sweet boy!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2017   #7
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

All this love is going to Monty’s head! He knows he’s a Purdue boy! I love him to pieces.
Old December 9, 2017   #8
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oh... who could worry about a duct taped plant with Monty in the foreground?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote