Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 14, 2017   #46
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadandpia View Post
Love this post so just had to share my tentative list:

Sebastopol
Sungold
Omar's Lebanese
St. Pierre
Amana Orange
Pruden's Purple
Dagma's Perfection
Mrs. Maxwell's Big Italian
Black Prince
Green Giant
Missouri Pink Love Apple

I'm also going to try out some determinate varieties and see how they do in my little micro-climate of California-coastal area.

I have so many different varieties to try .. but very limited space ... it's so hard each year to figure out what I want to grow out new and if anything to keep from previous year! But that's part of the fun as well!
Great looking list.

The only suggestion I have for the future is about Amana Orange. That was my go to variety,large beefsteak,until this one came along.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Orange_Minsk

Notice that there is also a heart version of it and you can click on that link also given.

I much prefer OM in either form to Amana Orange and I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way from reading here at Tville over the years.

Carolyn
Old December 14, 2017   #47
chadandpia
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the suggestion Carolyn, I value your opinion and will definitely look at it! Each season I try to pick out at least one yellow, orange, and one black variety to try.

Last year I tried Valencia, Carbon and Lillian's Yellow. All three produced beautiful looking tomatoes but their flavors were just a little too muted and bland for me although still much better than what you can get in the grocery store.
chadandpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2017   #48
Materdoc
Tomatovillian™

For 2018, I plan to grow 21 heirloom open-pollinated varieties .
It is mandatory to grow the 3 varieties I have created; Bronze Orb, Trevor’s Golden Beam & Bogeywine.
Varieties from last year that I will grow again are:
Orange Jazz
Sky Reacher
Siberian Tiger
Galapagos Island Pear
Reinhard’s Green Heart
Varieties from the past that I’d like to do again: White Oxheart & maybe Mexico Midget.
New cherries... 2 or 3 from Capuchino, Green Krim Cherry, Frisco Cherry, Purple Dragon, Brown Berry & Scarlet Gem.
So I will have room for 8 new ones.
I have to grow El Roy as a friend strongly recommends it.
For the remainder, choose from among Pepe’s Gigante, Sicilian Saucer, Aker’s West Virginia Black, Phil’s Fantastic,Cipolla’s Pride, Joe Pesch, Dark Galaxy, Djena Lee’s Golden Girl, Quapaw Green, Serendipity, Purple Dream, Snickers, Sugar Frog, Burgundy Traveler & Marizol Purple.
Most of these are chosen from Seed Savers Exchange.
Unfortunately some others from various sources will likely catch my eye, woe is me.

I also grow Giant tomatoes and many of these will be from Big Zac lines, also Delicious, Brutus Magnum, Zaczilla, Catapano & various crosses among these varieties.
One cross I am particularly high on is a MegaMarv x Big Zac which was quite productive of huge megablooms on “ribbon “ vines.
Materdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2017   #49
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Snickers got renamed, I think maybe to Deep Space?

Last edited by Sun City Linda; December 15, 2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: correction
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote