Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 27, 2017   #211
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
I would also expand your search to areas well north of you - as these stores would have a better probability of having one in stock: Temple, Killeen then Waco, in that order.

https://www.harborfreight.com/storel...put=waco,%20tx

Good hunting!

Raybo
Great idea, thank you. I think Waco is having flooding too, but I think north is a great idea.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #212
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
B&B Auto Supply has 7 flood triangles around it and the road they are on (Chestnut) is closed. We can only hope to find a generator. If we have to order online and have it shipped we'll do that. At least we would have one. Called Home Depot, they are sold out.

Corpus has minimal damage, so I could have it shipped to a local pace like our friends machine repair shop where we could pick it up.
There is no way it can be closed I was just there that area never floods.
Are you looking at an old map or something I have been on many currant sites.
71 is even back open as of now.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #213
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
There is no way it can be closed I was just there that area never floods.
Are you looking at an old map or something I have been on many currant sites.
71 is even back open as of now.
No, this is the currant Mapquest, showing current construction and flooded roads.

The news is showing 100's of low level crossings are closed. 71 at Smithville is closed also. These are just some of what we are seeing on the news. I think we need to stay inside tomorrow instead.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 27, 2017   #214
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I am looking at the sunset. Plenty of red clouds to the west, above, to the east! It's the first time I've seen this. You had to catch it at the perfect time - it didn't last long.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #215
MichelleInWASt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Now is not the time to be looking for a generator in Texas sad to say.
Is there some reason (that I'm not thinking of) not to look at homedepot.com, lowes.com, etc. for "buy online and pick up at store"? (Whether from their existing stock or "ship to store for pickup" options.)

I do that all of the time for routine purchases. Although I suppose their stock level tracking right about now isn't exactly perfect in the area.

EDIT: Oops, should have finished reading the rest of the thread first, just was puzzled when you guys were talking about driving around stores. My bad.

Last edited by MichelleInWASt; August 27, 2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Oops, hadn't read rest of thread...
MichelleInWASt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #216
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleInWASt View Post
Is there some reason (that I'm not thinking of) not to look at homedepot.com, lowes.com, etc. for "buy online and pick up at store"? (Whether from their existing stock or "ship to store for pickup" options.)

I do that all of the time for routine purchases. Although I suppose their stock level tracking right about now isn't exactly perfect in the area.
Yes, I stated above I would probably look online. Actually found one window air conditioner that will do, but it's either store pickup or home delivery. That doesn't work right now, but if I can get it at Best Buy. in stock, I can pick it up there before we leave here. Then I have it on me. For a generator I am thinking of having it sent to our friends shop and we can pick it up there. He can't be reached as there is no cell service so I will have to wait on it.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; August 27, 2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old August 27, 2017   #217
bower
Tomatovillian™

If I were you I'd forget about finding a generator at this stage. You have power where you are staying? If so, very fortunate and best to stay where you are.

The same thing happens here when we have wicked winter storms. Everyone wants a generator, or a snow blower... or just a shovel.... and then there were none.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #218
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

When a disaster like this strikes, the big box stores load their inventory and ship from far and wide to the area asap. Keep checking. Costco and Sams Club both sell generators too.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #219
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
If I were you I'd forget about finding a generator at this stage. You have power where you are staying? If so, very fortunate and best to stay where you are.

The same thing happens here when we have wicked winter storms. Everyone wants a generator, or a snow blower... or just a shovel.... and then there were none.
I can buy one online. There is a possiblity of being without power for three to four weeks at home. I need a generator so I will find one somewhere, somehow. I won't give up.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; August 28, 2017 at 01:29 AM.
Old August 27, 2017   #220
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Online is probably your best bet, as is the phone to avoid running around. Costco will tell you when they expect more generators in if you ask if there is one near you. Be there at least 30 min- 1 hr before they open if they are getting some in. That is how I got one here a few years ago after a bad October snow and ice storm when no one had electricity for a week. You are in a place much worse than I was, with longer term problems and higher demand for them. Even online, I would act quickly. Even Amazon ran out of all but the priciest generators that year because of the east coast storm, same thing after Katrina and several other disasters. The supply is going to get depleted everywhere very quickly because so many people are effected right now. Good luck!
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #221
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

About Generators , there should not be a problem of supply. Last year when we had hurricane Mathew, BBS had so may generators . But that was too late. By then most electric services were connected. When we had flooding, we could not event go anywhere, anyway.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #222
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Just ordered this generator and asked for shipment delay until we give notice and will be headed home. Now on to find an air conditioner.

http://www.electricgeneratordepot.co...brid-generator

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 28, 2017   #223
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Other options would be hardware stores (around here, True Value always seems to come through when Lowe's and Home Depot sell out of EVERYTHING before hurricanes and snowstorms; they offer free ship-to-store on many items in 3-8 business days) and sporting-goods and camping stores (Cabela's has ship-to-store, too, if nothing in stock - but you can check stock online).
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #224
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Other options would be hardware stores (around here, True Value always seems to come through when Lowe's and Home Depot sell out of EVERYTHING before hurricanes and snowstorms; they offer free ship-to-store on many items in 3-8 business days) and sporting-goods and camping stores (Cabela's has ship-to-store, too, if nothing in stock - but you can check stock online).
See post above. I posted as you were typing this out.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 28, 2017   #225
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a very versatile generator - runs on gasoline or Propane.

Be sure to stock up on several 50 ft and 100 ft. Appliance capable power extension cords before you leave Austin, as they will likely all be gone back in the Rockport area stores.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; August 28, 2017 at 12:23 AM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote