Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 31, 2017   #166
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Arriving over the weekend...

AL Se J
CA Re T
CO Wa J
NE Do K
NJ Di K
TN Pa B
WA Go L
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017   #167
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Can someone point me to MMMM basics thread, I can't find it.

I haven't taken part of this and I feel like it is something any TVille member needs to partake in, at least once!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017   #168
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Can someone point me to MMMM basics thread, I can't find it.

I haven't taken part of this and I feel like it is something any TVille member needs to partake in, at least once!
JMS- you'll need Tormato's address which is in post #1. Then there are these references to get you acquainted with some of the rules.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....&postcount=170
Here's my simplest explanation.
You want to participate? You can do that in any or all of the following ways, in a padded envelope:

0. If you have no seeds to send in and you want lots back, ask someone to sponsor you. They'll send in seeds and you'll reap the benefits.

1. In your padded envelope, send a wish list of seeds you want. If others send them in, you'll be in luck.

2. Packets of seeds, 5-10 (usually 10) seeds per packet of tomato seeds, 10 or more per packet of pepper seeds, 5 or more per packet of bean seeds, and any number per packet of any other kind of seed in the world. Vegetables and flowers are good ones. These packets of seeds can be as many or few as you'd like: for example, if you have 25 leftover seeds of Black Krim, you can package them up in 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 packages, label them at least with seed name and year grown/bought/etc. You will receive seeds in return, getting as good as you give.

3. (here's the fun part) Tomato, pepper, and/or bean seeds in the following quantities: 10 packs of each variety. For example, 10 packets of Cherokee Green, with 5-10 seeds in each packet. You'd need a minimum of 50 seeds of a variety to do this. Label the packets. Then select one appropriate category for those 10 packs to fit into. You're going to send in 10 packs of one type of tomato and get 10 different varieties of that category back! The list of categories is in the above reference material, but I'll list them here:

Beefsteak

Black - could use more varieties than the fairly common ones usually sent in

Blue - same comment as Black

Cherry/Grape/Currant

Determinate/Dwarf (mostly Dwarf Project)/Micro-Dwarf

Eastern European

Experimental - (non-commercial) F1's, F2's, etc...

Giant - 3 lb+ potential, there may not be very many varieties sent in

Green - same comment as Black

Heart

Hot Weather★

Italian - same comment as Black, or this may have to combined with the Paste/Canner category

Knock-Your-Socks-Off

Oldies But Goodies - older varieties that are rarely seen/talked about anymore

Paste/Canner

Pink

Red

Striped

Very Early - 55 DTM or less

Yellow/Gold/Orange/Bi-color/Tri-color/White

*Cool Weather - maybe not enough demand for a category

*Novelty - maybe not enough varieties or demand for a category

Desert Island - Your ONE AND ONLY favorite variety (SunGold doesn't count)★

Potato Leaf

Tribbles - heavily ribbed, pleated, ridged, scalloped, fluted, ruffled beauties★

So in the case of Cherokee green you could choose the category "Green" and you will get back 10 different varieties of green when ripe tomatoes, one pack of each! Slick, huh?

Repeat with as many tomatoes, peppers, and legumes as you wish. The more different categories you give, the more you'll get. Also, if you send in 20 packs of a particular variety, you can choose 2 separate categories for that variety to be in. For example, if you send in 20 packs of Dotson's Lebanese Heart, you can choose it to be in both the Pink category and the Heart category. You'll get back 10 varieties of pinks and 10 varieties of hearts.

4. If you have a large amount of seed, you can send in extra packs, or packs with more than the required amount of seeds. I had 2 varieties where I had 500 extra seeds apiece. I loaded each variety into 50 packs of seeds and sent them in as Bulk seeds. If you have some problem (like maybe arthritis) you can send the bulk seeds in one big lump and Tormato will package them up.

Remember to follow all the other rules in the reference I gave. IF anyone has additions/corrections to this, feel free.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017   #169
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

It's getting late in the game for the "rules". The #1 rule is there aren't any.

The basics...

You send bubble mailer, legible address, return postage.
I send back overstuffed bubble mailer, wreck your 2018 garden plans.

PM me a wish list of tomato varieties (up to 30), or types of tomatoes (from the "categories") if you would like some mystery. Also, types of tomatoes you don't want.

In about 2 weeks ( or more) , I'll be posting all of the non-tomato (pepper, bean, veggie, fruit, and flower seeds that come in. Participants can choose from that list, but depending on demand (like this one rare watermelon that has 2 packs of 3 seeds each that I may split up into 6 packs of 1), you may not receive everything asked for. Same with a tomato wish list, as every variety wished for will likely not be sent in.

Your Host
Old October 31, 2017   #170
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all! I will have to check out my supply of various varieties and see if there is something I've got 50 extra seeds of in a category I'd like to join.

The basic structure is you send in 10 packs of 1 variety belonging to a certain category and you get 10 packs back of 10 different varieties in THAT category.
Old October 31, 2017   #171
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
It's getting late in the game for the "rules". The #1 rule is there aren't any.

The basics...

You send bubble mailer, legible address, return postage.
I send back overstuffed bubble mailer, wreck your 2018 garden plans.

Your Host
Return postage: preference of cash or stamps?

And I send bubble mailer for you to send back in addition to the mailer to get to you?
Old October 31, 2017   #172
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Any combination of stamps/cash is fine. I reuse your bubble mailer, so there's no need for a 2nd one inside the 1st.

If only interested in tomatoes and light seeds like peppers, return postage should be under 3 dollars. Beans are heavy, if you want to go there.

There's also some hybrid tomato seed (with a requested donation) somewhere in this loooooong thread.
Old October 31, 2017   #173
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Post #111 has the varieties available for a small donation.

nan
Old October 31, 2017   #174
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Cost of a bubble mailer now starts at $3.00 and as a bonus, tracking is now included in the postage so you can watch its progress...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017   #175
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Think I’ll get in this year—I’ll get it in by the Nov. 10 date!

One last question—do I label each packet with variety, year, and source?
Old October 31, 2017   #176
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Yes, each packet is going to a different person.

Nan
Old November 1, 2017   #177
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I've said this before, but I think this is my final question.

About the wish list--this is varieties or types from within the category(ies) you send in or any category?
Old November 1, 2017   #178
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Any tomatoes that you would like. Not special category specific at all.
Old November 2, 2017   #179
HappyLittleAcreMark
Tomatovillian™

Default Too late?

Hi, is it too late to join the swap? I was only able to save enough seeds of two varieties, but I would still like to participate if it isn't too late to out my packets in the mail.

Thanks for organizing this!
HappyLittleAcreMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2017   #180
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLittleAcreMark View Post
Hi, is it too late to join the swap? I was only able to save enough seeds of two varieties, but I would still like to participate if it isn't too late to out my packets in the mail.

Thanks for organizing this!
Mark, the deadline to get stuff to Tormato is Nov. 10, so you still have time. (remember, you can still participate with only a few packs of seeds, and with your wish list, and with seeds other than tomatoes.)

Nan