Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 17, 2017   #466
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Rockporter;665037]Well our friends met with the adjuster and we knew it as a total loss already. I guess TWIA insurance is only for regular stick built homes, not mobile homes. The insurance they have isn't much so they will be taking a huge loss on it. Now with getting it off the lot it's on and them to decide what they will do for the future. It's just so sad.

Rockporter, Is there a way to make a donation DIRECTLY to these people anonymously? If you PM me with your mailing address, I would be happy to send you a small envelope to give to them to help out.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2017   #467
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=rnewste;665093]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Well our friends met with the adjuster and we knew it as a total loss already. I guess TWIA insurance is only for regular stick built homes, not mobile homes. The insurance they have isn't much so they will be taking a huge loss on it. Now with getting it off the lot it's on and them to decide what they will do for the future. It's just so sad.

Rockporter, Is there a way to make a donation DIRECTLY to these people anonymously? If you PM me with your mailing address, I would be happy to send you a small envelope to give to them to help out.

Raybo
Thanks so much for the offer Ray. Her husband is quite proud and I'm not sure he would take money from anyone. All the helping we are doing he is saying, "Just let it go". But his wife is saying, "But, we need some of this stuff". It's been a hard few weeks, and she and I cried real hard together yesterday. It's so sad.

Honestly, I think the best help they could get would be to have a collection of full and queen sized pillow cases for her to make the dresses with. She has two small resale shops nearby her but not much to choose from. Spending money on these things is a bit hard right now too. I bought some more ric rac for her the other day.

She needs pretty patterned pillow cases (plain and stripes don't work out very well) that look correct positioned with the hem of the pillowcase pointing downward. That is the hem of the dress so it has to look normal for the little girls to wear them. Our place here she used to shop at is closed right now. We don't know when it will open and if they had any damage from the storm. It is in Rockport also.

Other supplies she uses are baby ric rac in many different colors, mostly blues, pinks, yellows, white, greens and reds. Wide single fold bias tape in all colors, and thread too.

Sewing is what keeps her sane, lol.

So, hmm. If you were to put a note in the envelope that it was for dress supplies her husband would probably keep his mouth shut, lol. I'll pm you. Thanks Ray.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; September 17, 2017 at 05:23 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2017   #468
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
They who? The people who are giving you stuff?
No the Minoans, dont think for a minute they aren't still around.
Falls into politics regretfully, will send PM later.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2017   #469
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hahaha, I've been asking her all kinds of questions about the pillow cases she uses and what her favorite brand was, then she asked me, "what ya cookin up?" LOL. I said, "you know me well my dear, lol".

Her favorite brand of pillow case is Dan River by Cannon. She gets all giddy when she finds them at the resale shop. She loves the bright colors and patterns they come in. She also likes how well made they are. But the most part is that the pillow cases need to be cotton, not silky. Silky doesn't sew up very well.

I'm always looking for deals for her online. I taught her a few years ago how to save money at Walgreens by couponing. She can't believe how much she saves on all the things she already buys there. We were buying for troop boxes and I showed her how to save money for all sorts of things to stuff into them. She couldn't believe we walked out of that store with $120 worth of goods for less than $17 using coupons and combining things. She was blown away, lol.

I'm always cooking something up for her.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 19, 2017   #470
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

My local Lowe's store is still closed due to some serious damage of their building in Aransas Pass Texas. See the pictures here.

https://newsroom.lowes.com/inside-lo...-aransas-pass/

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 19, 2017   #471
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Wow! A picture is definitely worth a thousand words!
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017   #472
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hi, internet is out again. Been out all day, so on my phone.

There are numerous places flattened out here.

Do a search on hurricane harvey Aransas Pass, also Rockport. It's heart breaking to see all the damage.

Edited spelling, etc.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; September 19, 2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old September 19, 2017   #473
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

And now it seems that Puerto Rico is next.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017   #474
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Internet is back on but very slow.

Sadly, Puerto Rico is in some serious trouble.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 20, 2017   #475
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

These storms in the east have been developing like coming off an assembly line.
One right after another they are marching west across the ocean to reap catastrophic destruction upon the Americas.
Stay tuned to the Weather Channel for all your latest weather updates.

Worth
Old September 20, 2017   #476
bower
Tomatovillian™

Very sad to see Irma and Maria making back to back landfalls at Cat 5. The Caribbean is devastated.
We are not through the hurricane season yet. Yes we are just past the usual peak date (Sept 10) but there will be more storms before it's over. Maps of ocean surface temperature tell the tale... these temps just bump up the hurricanes to another level.
It looks like Maria may take a shot at us further up the track. So the bubble of Greenland meltwater (which we've been complaining about) could be a saving grace to cool her down a notch, as long as it's stronger than the warmth pushing the other way. Otherwise, well that patch of high surface temperature is extending quite far north.
We'll never see a cat 5 here. But honestly I don't even want to see another cat 1.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017   #477
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

This is such a devastating hurricane season with so many hurting whether they lost their homes or a loved one. Business's are still closed so many people through out hurricane areas are without employment because of the damage caused. It's just so sad.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 20, 2017   #478
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Maps of ocean surface temperature tell the tale... these temps just bump up the hurricanes to another level.
Actually, according to meteorologists, that is not the case. Upper level wind shear is the controlling factor in determining the height and power of the storm "chimney", which determines the wind and thus the category. Storms over warmer water do pick up more moisture, but that doesn't really relate to power.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2017   #479
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hog wash.
All of it is a factor in how strong one can get.
Add mineral oil and they can really spin up.

Worth
Old September 21, 2017   #480
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Actually, according to meteorologists, that is not the case. Upper level wind shear is the controlling factor in determining the height and power of the storm "chimney", which determines the wind and thus the category. Storms over warmer water do pick up more moisture, but that doesn't really relate to power.
Water temperature is certainly a factor, and a (the?) driver of hurricane power, according to NOAA:
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/facts/hurricanes.html

Wind shear can destroy or weaken a hurricane.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote