Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 21, 2017   #166
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Mark, it's OK to make them part of my January seed offer(assuming I do one)?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #167
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Mark, it's OK to make them part of my January seed offer(assuming I do one)?
Yes, if you find an super tasty one, spread those seeds around for others to enjoy too.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #168
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Delicious and productive, I'll grow them again next year. Tennis ball size for me on trimmed back clusters of 6-8 tomatoes, with slightly smaller toms and more irregulars on non-pruned trusses. Only downside, and probably attributable to this dry climate and big temperature swings, is splitting. It's been a bad year about splitting for a lot of my varieties so it could very well pass next season. An excellent tomato, and thank you to everyone involved for making it available.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #169
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Hi Mark,

I wanted to get your opinion on my Mat-Su Express plant this year. For the record, it is one of, if not the healthiest plants in the garden, very dense big PL and extremely productive.

I only grew one from Plant 11 seed.

The flavor is quite good, but the tomatoes are often look a bit odd on the inside, with a large gap between the sides and the gel. You can see it in the picture below, 1 is like that, the other 2 are not (all from the same plant). Ironically enough, the ones that have that that gap have noticably better flavor. My question is--is that the intended result for Mat-Su Express and if I should save seed from this plant--as I want to ensure any saved seed is correct and as intended. If not, I will source some new seed as I had germination issues and used up all my Plant 11 seed. Or if you suggest, I can try the Plant 41 (I'll need to check that is correct but I'm pretty sure) seed next year.

Thanks for sharing again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image5.JPG (134.8 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg image6.JPG (190.4 KB, 336 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #170
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

You should not have that gap, I am not sure why you are getting it.
Old August 22, 2017   #171
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Puffiness
Too hot, too cold, too much N
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #172
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Puffiness
Too hot, too cold, too much N
I can eliminate too hot and too cold. Too much N, I doubt it as they are in-ground and only fertilized a couple times this year. The variability is odd.

Mark, thanks for the feedback. While the fruits are a bit odd, it is good to know this isn't expected--whether it is something odd with this specific seed or something environmental. The tomatoes still taste wonderful. I will likely plan on growing from plant 41 seed stock next year. Thanks again for sharing your wonderful creations with us.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2017   #173
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Odd, mine don't look like that. My 41 has produced less, smaller tomatoes than my 11's. My 11's are still setting fruit and some of the only plants still alive.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2017   #174
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Just ate a Mat-Su Express (seeds from Cole) and it had some of the same voids. Tomato looked identical to the one pictured above. It was very tasty. Sweet and almost seemed to leave a taste of salt in my mouth (I didn't add salt). Very good taste.

Cloz
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2017   #175
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Here is a link that explains possibilities for hollow fruit. I have never had a hollow fruit from any variety, so I could not offer a personal explanation. I have also harvested thousands of Mat-Su fruit, so I am quite sure it is not genetic. However it may be susceptible to it under some conditions. Keep us posted TV's

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...low-inside.htm

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs200

Last edited by AKmark; August 23, 2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old September 13, 2017   #176
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Mat su express sounds terrific. I am excited to try it in my nc garden next spring if i can get seed.
Hopefully it will grow well here close to greensboro. I usually plant around 60 plants and plan to prune to one or two stems this coming season.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2017   #177
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Jmsieglaff, do you realize the treasure you have in that hollow fruit? THE ELUSIVE GOOD-TASTING STUFFER! Pursue that line! If you get seed, I'd really like some!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018   #178
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I was lucky enough to get some Mat Su Express seeds from Tormato in this year's MMMM swap. Yay! Two questions- mine were labeled from jtMartin. Would you know what plants these seeds came from? Also, I saw you grew this in Denver, Ricky Shaw. How did it do for you?
Thanks everyone!
Heide
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018   #179
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
I was lucky enough to get some Mat Su Express seeds from Tormato in this year's MMMM swap. Yay! Two questions- mine were labeled from jtMartin. Would you know what plants these seeds came from? Also, I saw you grew this in Denver, Ricky Shaw. How did it do for you?
Thanks everyone!
Heide
jtjmartin is me! Mat-Su grew great for me in VA. Let me see if I can figure out who I got the seeds from this time last year.

Jeff Martin
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2018   #180
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much Jeff! I got quite a few of your seeds in the MMMM so thanks for those too!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote