Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 27, 2017   #61
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I have one plant of Green Doctor's Frosted going right now. I really like it, flavor-wise. Is Verde Claro similar?

Waaaaayyyy more productive in my garden and Verde has a grape shape. I preferred the taste of Verde claro over both Green Doctors and the Frosted version honestly. Heck, I preferred Green Zebra Cherry over the Green Doctor's as well. Not sure what that's worth. Lol. I'd be happy to send some if you are interested.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2017   #62
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I have one plant of Green Doctor's Frosted going right now. I really like it, flavor-wise. Is Verde Claro similar?
No they aren't IMO and I've grown both.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...octors_Frosted

And Green Doctors itself with background info.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Green_Doctors

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Verde_Claro

Carolyn
Old April 30, 2017   #63
charley
Tomatovillian™

nobody mentioned Emerald Apple here's a picture of mine looks like it's producing very well but the taste test is still to come so only time will tell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170430_085058-747x1328.jpg (332.2 KB, 235 views)
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2017   #64
charley
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing everything that's mentioned in this post in one row and then some so this year I'm really going to know for me which ones are going to be the winner. With the exception of Aunt Ruby's German green and green zebra im with worth on the green zebra its not for me. Gwr are my favorites
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2017   #65
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
nobody mentioned Emerald Apple here's a picture of mine looks like it's producing very well but the taste test is still to come so only time will tell
I've grown Emerald Apple

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Emerald_Apple

No way will I ever be able to remember all the GWRipes I've grown,just too many.

Carolyn
Old May 1, 2017   #66
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Antonovka Medovaya (Антоновка Медовая) is a new GWR release of Russian seed company Premium Seeds.
http://www.premiumseeds.ru

Midseason, demerminate plant (h 1-1,5m), green outside with some yellow streaks, pinkish-green flesh, fruit is about 200g, fruity flavour.

Antonovka is a name of the famous old heirloom Russian apple-tree variety with bright-green apples.

So the most correct English translation should be Honey Antonovka

Haven't try it yet. But sounds very interesting. Hope to get seeds for the next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Sounds interesting NarnianGarden. I'd like to grow a lot of Russian tomatoes. Seems like most are the cats meow.. Jimbo .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1280x1024_4b5204452a32dc3646e3148ae6d09bc8.jpg (550.7 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg 1478099302.jpg (107.1 KB, 213 views)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #67
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Antonovka apples have been grown here for decades, it is also widely used as rootstock for other varieties these days because of its ability to withstand cold weather.
Wish they could make a tomato variety like that, winter hardy and frost resistant
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #68
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Antonovka apples have been known at least since early 1800s in Kursk region of Russian Empire as a possible cross with wild apple-tree. Yes, it is very hardy and has a great aroma.
Antonovka is the best known Russian apples since then.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #69
dorota
Tomatovillian™

Antonovka apples are popular in Poland too. It's a traditional variety and is mainly grown in old, private gardens. You can find it in the farmers market in September. I make a juice and an apple pie. Old varieties are getting more and more popular, so Antonovka apple are coming back.
Antonovka tomato sounds exciting.
dorota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #70
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorota View Post
Antonovka apples are popular in Poland too. It's a traditional variety and is mainly grown in old, private gardens. You can find it in the farmers market in September. I make a juice and an apple pie. Old varieties are getting more and more popular, so Antonovka apple are coming back.
Antonovka tomato sounds exciting.
I think it's a comeback for many old varieties after they were partly forgotten and undervalued for years.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #71
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Not sure why people think that if they're green they should be sour. Maybe due to Green Zebra, one of the more popular early greens?
I haven't tried many, but none of them were particularly sour. They were balanced I would say.
I tried Spears Tennessee Green after starting a similar thread last year, and it is pretty gosh darnoodley good. Balanced taste, good flavour, terrible thick skin, likes to crack, nice shape without catfacing, good production. I am growing it again.
I also tried Green Zebra Cherry, which oddly enough, didn't know it had a name. I had a mix pack of tomatoes and picked some seeds. After about 2 years only I actually found that someone else did the same (from the same pack mix) and had already distributed it and named it. It had nice taste, but very late and incredible thick skin.
And then another mystery zebra, probably bread commercially somewhere which for now I named Saveol Zebra (saveol is a really big french producer) and I am trying it this year, after eating the best tomato last year from another mix pack.
I think the colour mostly comes with a certain flavour profile. And for now it seems like the greens have that strong flavour profile that is mostly balanced, which is exactly what I'm looking for.
Green will be the new black in a few years, no doubt.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #72
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Many years ago the fad was black varieties, and Craig L and I predicted that the next fad would be the GWRipes, and that has already happened,but the so called blacks are still hanging in there.

You first read about it here as to what I'm predicting for the future, and it's that the antho varieties, which have been a mini fad,no longer will be.

Carolyn
Old May 3, 2017   #73
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

GWRs are still really hard to sell, at least in my limited experience. People think anything green must be sour. I've seen the bins of discarded heirloom tomatoes from the local co-op, and most of the ones thrown away are GWR. Zebra Rita has been the only one I can sell, and I think it is because it has stripes, so customers know it is not an unripe tomato. My other GWRs that I have been able to sell have been cherry varieties that I mix into a color mix, and basically make people take them. Sometimes they still ask for a box without any green ones in it.

Dwarf Jade Beauty has got to be the least marketable tomato there is - both the plant and the fruit. People will barely take a free one, then tell me it is delicious when they try it...but it's green! And then they walk off. I am still going to grow a few plants of it for myself.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #74
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

Malachite Box is a mainstay for me. I also like Green Giant (tricky to know when ripe due to translucent skin) and Humph, which my wife says tastes vaguely like rootbeer barrel candy, but I don't get that.
sic transit gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #75
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

Antonovka is also being used as rootstock for other apple varieties. I had one scion die on Antonovka rootstock, but I let it grow anyway. Probably the most vigorous young apple tree that I have :-) We'll see how the apples taste some day.

Edit: whoops...already commented on above. I should read further before commenting.
sic transit gloria is offline   Reply With Quote