Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 31, 2015   #16
maf
Tomatovillian™

There seems to be some confusion on the web about the true parentage of the Yellow Centiflor. Judging by the fact it seems to have been available for approximately the same length of time as the red version I tend to think it is a sister line from the original species cross, and not one of the second generation outcrosses.

The Orange Centiflor is definitely from the cross of Red Centiflor and Sungold, this is documented with no room for confusion, see peaceseedslive.blogspot.com. If you look at the way the listings are worded it seems as if the listings for Red Clusterpear and Orange Centiflor were inserted between the pre-existing listings for Red and Yellow Centiflor. Note the wording "both parent species" in the description for Yellow Centiflor; I do not think Dr Kapuler would have used the species designation if one of the parents was the hybrid Sungold, but it makes perfect sense if the listing originally followed the red version.
Quote:
Solanum lycopersicum Red Centiflor Hypertress Cherry Tomato 50/5.00
From our cross of L. humboldtii, the Grape Tress Tomato with L. hirsutum arose this unanticipated cultivar with clusters of dozens to hundreds of flowers held above the foliage where the silky hairs of the flower buds resemble insects followed by clusters of large numbers of 1" red sweet fruits that resist cracking and rot.
Solanum lycopersicum Red Clusterpear Hypertress Cherry Tomato 50/4.00
Red pear-shaped fruits on flowers carried above the foliage. These plants make hundreds of flowers and carry abundant fruits on vigorous plants.
Solanum lycopersicum Orange Centiflor Hypertress Cherry Tomato 25/5.00
One of the unusual characteristics of the Centiflor tomatoes is that, unlike most garden tomatoes, they outcross occasionally. This creates problems in seed saving but opportunity for crosses that the bees can do. This new variety arose from a cross of Sungold with Red Centiflor. These are vigorous hypertress vines with remarkably delicious fruits.
Solanum lycopersicum Yellow Centiflor Hypertress Cherry Tomato 50/5.00
Derived from the same cross detailed in the previous listing, this line makes somewhat larger fruit, with a distinctive point on the end of the round bright fruits. While both parent species leading to this cultivar has 5-20 flowers in a spike, these centiflors (meaning 100 flowers) have hypertresses of flowers leading to a unique and distinguishing aspect.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #17
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

http://peaceseedlingsseeds.blogspot.com/

Look about 2/3 of the way down the list.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #18
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

I have 60 seeds of Yellow centiflor hyperstress(2014)

I search cherokee purple and cherokee purple variegated

I search also little blue dwarf and lady Iron

PM me

I am in Belgium
Ambiorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #19
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I read this to mean they were siblings of the Sungold cross, which is what I read elsewhere but now cant find it. But I agree, it's not clear wording.

"Solanum lycopersicum Orange Centiflor Hypertress Cherry Tomato
One of the unusual characteristics of the Centiflor tomatoes is that, unlike most garden tomatoes, they outcross occasionally.This creates problems in seed saving but opportunity for crosses that the bees can do. This new variety arose from a cross of Sungold with Red Centiflor. These are vigorous hypertress vines with remarkably delicious fruits.
Solanum lycopersicum Yellow Centiflor Hypertress Cherry Tomato
Derived from the same cross detailed in the previous listing, this line makes somewhat larger fruit, with a distinctive point on the end of the round bright fruits. While both parent species leading to this cultivar has 5-20 flowers in a spike, these centiflors (meaning 100 flowers) have hypertresses of flowers leading to a unique and distinguishing aspect."

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin

Last edited by ChrisK; January 31, 2015 at 09:53 AM.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #20
maf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I read this to mean they were siblings of the Sungold cross, which is what I read elsewhere but now cant find it. But I agree, it's not clear wording.

"Solanum lycopersicum Orange Centiflor Hypertress Cherry Tomato
One of the unusual characteristics of the Centiflor tomatoes is that, unlike most garden tomatoes, they outcross occasionally.This creates problems in seed saving but opportunity for crosses that the bees can do. This new variety arose from a cross of Sungold with Red Centiflor. These are vigorous hypertress vines with remarkably delicious fruits.
Solanum lycopersicum Yellow Centiflor Hypertress Cherry Tomato
Derived from the same cross detailed in the previous listing, this line makes somewhat larger fruit, with a distinctive point on the end of the round bright fruits. While both parent species leading to this cultivar has 5-20 flowers in a spike, these centiflors (meaning 100 flowers) have hypertresses of flowers leading to a unique and distinguishing aspect."
Yes, I agree the wording is unclear and/or misleading; the previous listing is Orange Centiflor but from the description it sounds like the previous listing being referred to is for Red Centiflor, but that is not actually the previous listing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
which is what I read elsewhere but now cant find it
I have also seen the other websites that list the parentage of Yellow Centiflor as including Sungold, but I think they may have been getting their information from this same source material.

From the close to source descriptions I have seen the red and yellow versions were around from the beginning which makes sense given that one of the wild parents was yellow fruited.

Also, in European multiflora tomatoes there seems to be an over-representation of yellow varieties compared to the ratios seen in "normal" tomatoes, again suggesting a yellow fruited parent somewhere in the mix. See Blondkopfchen, Mirabelle, Ildi etc.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #21
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

is this the same multiflora that invades pastures? I used to hack it with a machete and spray with herbicides to make a few extra bucks years ago in Missouri.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2015   #22
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
is this the same multiflora that invades pastures? I used to hack it with a machete and spray with herbicides to make a few extra bucks years ago in Missouri.
Hah, no! This is a multiflora-tomato, not a multiflora-rose.
Old July 1, 2015   #23
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone bred these tomatoes? I have about 30 f2 plants and they are just beginning to set flowers. I noticed a small percent showing the multiflora trait. Does anyone know what gene or genes are involed?
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2015   #24
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

At least one gene is known to control the multiflora trait.

http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology...l.pbio.0060288

I am breeding several lines with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Mato View Post
Has anyone bred these tomatoes? I have about 30 f2 plants and they are just beginning to set flowers. I noticed a small percent showing the multiflora trait. Does anyone know what gene or genes are involed?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old July 1, 2015   #25
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

what percent of f2 are you getting to show this trait? Have you bred any multiflora that are bigger then cherry tomatoes?
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2015   #26
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

It seems to segregate in typical single gene proportions in the F2. But I have not done a statistical test.

Old July 2, 2015   #27
EBHarvey
Tomatovillian™

based on my breeding work it appears to behave like any other recessive gene - non-expressive in the F1, close to 25% in the F2 population, and 100% expressive in the F3.
EBHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #28
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Disease is running rampant in my home and rural garden this year, but the yellow centiflor hypertress is holding its own, so far. The rain is still coming and this is a container plant in a semi shady spot so hoping it continues to resist septoria. Production is just getting started, possibly environmental too.

Any others growing the seed from my packet? How is your plant doing?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #29
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Is not doing really well (I think my seed came from you) from fusarium. It's a much more compact plant that the red centiflor which is, anecdotally, looking very healthy compared to those surrounding it. Red centiflor is a monster plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Disease is running rampant in my home and rural garden this year, but the yellow centiflor hypertress is holding its own, so far. The rain is still coming and this is a container plant in a semi shady spot so hoping it continues to resist septoria. Production is just getting started, possibly environmental too.

Any others growing the seed from my packet? How is your plant doing?

- Lisa

Old July 5, 2015   #30
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I'd love to grow some of these out. Red or yellow or Orange

When any become available, please hit me up and I'll place SASE in mail.

Danke!

Gerardo

Last edited by Gerardo; July 5, 2015 at 06:00 PM. Reason: forgot the Orange
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote