Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old January 14, 2015   #1
flyfiishn
Tomatovillian™

Default Mushroom Compost

Hello All.

I have run across some compost that is for use on a local mushroom farm and they told me to use as much of it as I would like in return for some walnuts I gave them. To clarify, this is brand new, unused compost. I believe he said in their mixture they use mostly chicken manure, crushed rice hulls, rice straw, potash and some lime and gyp. Not sure on the percentages, and they are probably unlikely to tell me as its proprietary.

My question is, how much should I use in my beds. I am thinking 50-50 mix in with my existing soil to avoid using a compost that may be "too hot." Also, I am wondering when I should begin mixing it in..... now or around plant time in Mid April? I currently have a little vetch seeded into the topsoil that I plan on tilling in around march as well.

any advise is welcome!

thanks all.
flyfiishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2015   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I've had mushroom compost added the last two years and I've been really happy with it. I have raised beds, 18 inches deep, and we add a 3 inch layer to the top and dig it in. I add it in February and start planting in March. At first, I, too, was concerned about it being too hot and not being able to germinate seeds sown directly, but have not had any problems. I don't know the NPK for this either. The guy that takes care of my lawn and all my pruning and weed control, etc. orders this for me from somebody in Bucks County, Pa. so I have a middleman involved. I don't know exactly where this stuff comes form, just that they have to order it ahead of time. The stuff that was originally used to fill my raised beds, which was from a landscaper, was not holding water. Since I added this compost, that's no longer a problem for me. Sorry I can't help more, but that is my experience with it. I just talked to my guy yesterday and told him I'd be in touch shortly about my compost. I will use it as long as I can get it. I should mention that I also use Tomato Tone, Garden Tone and Age Old Bloom in addition to the compost. No problems with burning the seedlings. Good luck!
Old January 14, 2015   #3
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

It would be good to know how much potash is added. Natural compost should have a pretty good NPK ratio without potash added (IMO).

I've used bagged mushroom compost from one of the big box stores and it worked quite well and I even had mushrooms sprouting up in my garden. They didn't seem to cause any problems.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2015   #4
flyfiishn
Tomatovillian™

thanks to all so far. Help is appreciated!
Old January 15, 2015   #5
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Shelley and Charlie, really sounds like you are both using spent mushroom compost which is no longer productive for commercially growing mushrooms and has lower residual nutrients, like a commercial rated NPK of around 0.9-0.7-0.5. That because Charlie mentions he gets mushrooms and Shelley because is sort of being sold as a commercial product.

Fresh mushroom compost has an N of around 2.5% which is pretty hot. Flyfish, that's what you say you are getting,. and it is confusing I think because everyone calls the spent stuff "mushroom compost" because it includes a bit of spent mushroom too and it is a byproduct that needs to be commercially sold. I'm posting because I just would watch out about that. I was going to use the spent stuff last year because the spent compost you mentioned for great aerated soil, but I changed my mind since all the spent stuff that was reasonable to get contained more pesticide accumulation from growing the mushroom crops than I was comfortable getting.

About when to work the fresh stuff into the soil, really depends I think and you should just ask them how long they have the compost sitting there or if purchased if it is supposted to weather and for how long top get properly composted for the mushrooms at minimum since mushrooms grow on logs probably could help if it sat in a pile longer. Good luck and sorry not to be more helpful.
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2015   #6
flyfiishn
Tomatovillian™

Clarification:

Yes indeed, the stuff I am getting is "fresh" as in unused. They are actively turning about 4 acres of piles for their mushroom operation and are allowing me to take some of it that is headed to the mushroom silos for growing new mushrooms. This is not the depleted or leftover product.
Old January 21, 2015   #7
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

It's almost time for me to place my call for mine, so I'll ask for clarification. It's done a very good job of holding the moisture in but there are a lot of cheaper products that would achieve that, as well. I'll report back when I get an answer. Thanks.
Old January 24, 2015   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfiishn View Post
Hello All.

I have run across some compost that is for use on a local mushroom farm and they told me to use as much of it as I would like in return for some walnuts I gave them. To clarify, this is brand new, unused compost. I believe he said in their mixture they use mostly chicken manure, crushed rice hulls, rice straw, potash and some lime and gyp. Not sure on the percentages, and they are probably unlikely to tell me as its proprietary.

My question is, how much should I use in my beds. I am thinking 50-50 mix in with my existing soil to avoid using a compost that may be "too hot." Also, I am wondering when I should begin mixing it in..... now or around plant time in Mid April? I currently have a little vetch seeded into the topsoil that I plan on tilling in around march as well.

any advise is welcome!
He sure to check the pH. My experience with rice hulls is high pH and nothing would grow with it until they broke down completely.

thanks all.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2015   #9
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I went to the big box store today to buy Jiffy seed starting mix. They had a couple broken bags laying around of mushroom compost potting soil and cow manure etc.... All 50% off and cheap to start with. There is my seed starting mix for the year! I'll just mix them all up and let you know how it goes!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #10
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

From what I'm reading online, it's all what they call SMC, spent mushroom compost. There are nutrients in it but its very good at helping hold moisture, which is the reason I wanted it. If I get it by the truckload from my lawn guy like I do, it's this or the stuff from the city, and I don't want to stuff from the city.
Old January 29, 2015   #11
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

If you want to research further, check out www.mushroomcompost.org for some interesting info, including nutrient analysis and info on pH. Also the salts that are in mushroom compost.

I'm going to stick with the product I've been using, the SMC from Bucks County. I've been happy with the way it's changed my garden and because I have these guys to bring it to me and spread it over the beds and dig it in, it's the easiest and best solution for me. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Old January 31, 2015   #12
snugglekitten
BANNED

When I used innoculated soil from spent mushroom compost, it changed the flavor the tomato , perhaps it changed the Ph level, not sure.

Also from what I read - it could contain residual pesticides so be careful.

Last edited by snugglekitten; January 31, 2015 at 08:39 AM.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote