Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 17, 2008   #16
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Quarter Century is the same as Matchless in Carolyn's book

Mark, I don't think you read the post I did above about what I called Matchless in my book that turned out to be QC and how that came about and how it differs from Matchless, who I also subsequently grew and also described in that post.

Also, in the Burpee blurb where it says QC was almost lost and was found in a private collection, well, I spoke to that also in my post above and that private collection was Glenn Drowns at Sandhill.
I'm not sure where you were/are going with this, but I'm just rolling over and will be back asleep probably before you reply... the only thing I didn't mention was that you were wrong in your book about it being Matchless, (didn't know until waaaay after the book was published), what you in effect were doing was describing Quarter Century not Matchless [Austin Strain] & Craig said Matchless was believed to have been regular leaf and not rugose like QC, etc.

But all in all, a good lesson was learned hopefully by all, which is "Know what you grow!"
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quarter Century is the same as Matchless in Carolyn's book...

....is what you wrote in your post Mark, which to some might be confusing, and that's why I wrote my reply to you.

And I also explained in that above post I guess you didn't read that Craig did get the RL true Matchless out of the USDA seeds, there were two different accessions, and it is RL with a small red fruit that was nothing special IMO.

Both accessions had mixed seeds of QC and Matchless and it's no wonder that several folks, including Dave Austin was confused, as well as Glenn Drowns and then myself.

Never believe what a pack of seeds says unless you know all the basic traits is what I say to everyone, but back in the early 90's that wasn't done by others with these same accessions and wasn't done by me independently when I included it in my book, sadly, I just believed what I got as Matchless was Matchless, and never questioned it, which was wrong.

Hope you had some good dreams when you rolled over and went back to sleep. I had a clear and disturbing dream last night where I was asked to teach a Music Appreciation Course, of all things, to replace a teacher who couldn't do it. And it got worse than that and was very complicated. I still remember all of it this morning, which doesn't often happen to me with dreams.
Old May 17, 2008   #18
KKinAL
Tomatovillian™

Default QC photo

here are my 2 QC plants (of course no tomatoes yet, but they were the 1st to produce 1 last year--that was a surprise!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QC 08 001.jpg (115.5 KB, 40 views)
KKinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008   #19
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Quarter Century is the same as Matchless in Carolyn's book...

....is what you wrote in your post Mark, which to some might be confusing, and that's why I wrote my reply to you.

And I also explained in that above post I guess you didn't read that Craig did get the RL true Matchless out of the USDA seeds, there were two different accessions, and it is RL with a small red fruit that was nothing special IMO.

Both accessions had mixed seeds of QC and Matchless and it's no wonder that several folks, including Dave Austin was confused, as well as Glenn Drowns and then myself.

Never believe what a pack of seeds says unless you know all the basic traits is what I say to everyone, but back in the early 90's that wasn't done by others with these same accessions and wasn't done by me independently when I included it in my book, sadly, I just believed what I got as Matchless was Matchless, and never questioned it, which was wrong.

Hope you had some good dreams when you rolled over and went back to sleep. I had a clear and disturbing dream last night where I was asked to teach a Music Appreciation Course, of all things, to replace a teacher who couldn't do it. And it got worse than that and was very complicated. I still remember all of it this morning, which doesn't often happen to me with dreams.
Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse... what I meant is... oh, never mind, but [everyone] take your book and go to the Matchless Austin page and use a black Sharpie and cross out Matchless Austin and write in [Burpee's] Quarter Century! There, fixed! Oh, and, YES, I did read the earlier post (more than once actually.)

My Top 2 seed rules are:

1. Always oversow--you'll be less disappointed having to snip extras than having to sow all over again if they didn't germinate. Plus you can often find any rogues then, not 100+ days later.

2. If you trade seeds, the recipient should grow the seeds first to make sure they are what they should be before passing on any extras! I didn't include so many extras for you to trade, but for #1 above! (Daniels is an excellent example.)
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote