Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 16, 2007   #1
where_with_all
Tomatovillian™

Default Lets talk plum/paste tomatoes and sauce

Ok folks,

I aks this question every year around this time. what is your favorite plum/paste tomato for sauce. Looking for recommendations for next year. My experiance thus far has not been good.

I grew opalka a few years ago and the tomato was alright but production was horrible and the plants always looked like they were one day away from dying. _ I can't live like that.

This year a grew viva italia this primarily based on the description. The sauce is great but the tomato taste like cardboard. This is common for a paste.

Anyone have a good experiance with a paste tomato that makes great sauce and also tastes decent?-

Where with all
Old August 17, 2007   #2
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing three excellent Russian paste type tomato varieties with pepper-like elongated shape. There are:

1. Moskovskiy Delikates (Moscow Delicacy or Moscow Delicious)
Red elongated fruits, high production, good flavor for a non-beefsteak tomato, vigorous indeterminate habit

2. Frantsuzskiy Grozdevoy (French Clusters)
Red elongated fruits, high production, not so vigorous and high as the previous variety, good flavor for a non-beefsteak tomato. This non-commercial OP variety has been developed recently for Siberian indoor growing conditions.

3. Zolotaya Rybka (Gold Fish)
Golden-orange elongated fruites, very high production on a vigorous plant, not so mild flavor for an orange fruited variety

Photoes will be published here later today

P.S. But you can make a good sauce from any meaty tomato with rather good flavor, not only plum/paste type

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2007   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
P.S. But you can make a good sauce from any meaty tomato with rather good flavor, not only plum/paste type
Agreed.

As to specific paster (or canning or drying) types, Sarnowski Polish Plum is a new favorite for me in terms of taste, extreme productivity, and meaty texture.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2007   #4
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Here's some of my better paste/sauce types that were good the last few years:

Joe's Plum:

Wagner's Italian:

Rosalie's Paste:

Uncle Steve's:

Speckled Roman:

Kalman's Hungarian Pink:

Drier types mostly for sauce or salsa:

Blocky Marzano:

Horvath:

In-betweens, not dry, good for sauce, salsa, canning, etc, very heavy production:

Ernie's Plump:

Rio Grande:

Yugoslavian:

Speckled Roman, Joe's Plum, Kalman's, Wagner's & Yugoslavian all tasted very good to great fresh too. Joe's, Wagner's & Yugo also had that wonderful aroma when cut open/sliced. Kalman's, Wagner's & Yugoslavian are pinks, a little less common since many paste types are red.

Also, try heart types--they are very solid with not many seeds.

Hope this helps.

Mark
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2007   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful pictures Mark.

But I strongly agree with both Andrey and Suze that any great tasting meaty tomato variety makes excellent paste. Just cook down the sauce a bit more to the desired consistency.

I could list some paste varieties here, and will just quickly mention Heidi and Martino's Roma, you already have tried Opalka which I think is pretty good, and I also think that the Sarnowski Polish Plum that Suze mentioned is a great one. For the latter, just picture a shorter fatter Opalka and fruits for me were often doubles and sometimes triples.

The Sarnowski family, from whom I got the seeds, wanted to call it a plum, but I don't see it that way at all.

Seeds for Sarnowski Polish Plum ( not available in 2007) are available at Sandhill. Glenn says 4-6 oz but I get fruits much larger than that.

The reasons I don't like paste tomatoes, as a group, are b'c many are very susceptible to Early Blight ( A. solani) as well as BER, and most importantly to me, as a group do not have such great tastes. Just my opinion.
Old August 17, 2007   #6
where_with_all
Tomatovillian™

Mark tell me more!!!

How does Speckeled roman and Joe's plum taste? Sweet, tangy, acidic, tomatoey. can you describe the taste as a suace and eaten raw? How is the production?

How does uncle steves and rio grande taste?

Andrey and Suze, I agree any good meaty tomato can be cooked down to a sauce but making suace out of a tomato with lots of seeds and too juicy is a royal pain. Seeds in sauce give an off flavor. and deseeding is hard in some tomatoes because of all the pockets.
Old August 17, 2007   #7
korney19

I would call Speckled Roman sweet and Joe's Plum more tangy & complex, like a good slicer/beefsteak tastes. Uncle Steve's I don't remember, but that pic, the pile is maybe 6-8" high on that plate, which is 9 inches diameter.

I hate giving taste descriptions because everybody has different taste perceptions but I use smell as a very important factor in taste.... the ones I talked about aroma "reek" great taste.

Rio Grande is a determinate that usually topples those 3-ring cages--you need a good stake too. You'll get about 4 quarts per plant.

I can't describe the taste cooked because when I make sauce, I use all the varieties mixed in... but I heard from others the Ernie's Plump makes one of the richest sauces.

And here's Sarnowski Polish Plum:

...and Wuhib:

...and Heidi:

For an orange sauce try these:

Roughwood Golden Plum (Yellow Brandywine x San Marzano):

...and Orange Banana: "INDETERMINATE. Orange Banana was the clear winner of an autumn paste taste at the Shipmans in Maine. Sweet flavor of Sungold but with more depth, makes a great sauce by itself, or adds a fruity complexity to other sauces. Orange fruits 3-4" long avg 4-5 oz."

Throw in some Herman's Yellow, a great tasting heart with few seeds:

...or brighten it up a bit with Power's Heirloom:
Old August 17, 2007   #8
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

where-with-all, I put up about 100 quarts of sauce the last 2 seasons using a hand-crank strainer that eliminates seeds. I grew Opalka last year which was very productive but also very late. The point though is that there are big tomatoes I strain that give just as thick a sauce as any plum tomato, and also have very few seeds. Because of this, I don't bother with plums because they really aren't bred for fresh taste, and I want both.

Here is a list of what I remember as great big tomatoes for sauce:

Supersonic - most productive of all.
Pik Red
Campbells 1327
Wes
Kosovo
Anna Russian
Big Zac
Ramapo
German Red Strawberry- guessing here as I just cut my 1st.

From this list, note that Hearts and the Harris hybrids are prominent.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2007   #9
where_with_all
Tomatovillian™

barkeater,

good point. I forgot to mention that I have been canning whole tomatoes. I usually deseed when I make the sauce by hand but maybe I should try a strainer. I thought ramapo was a plum?

Mark you seem to be the plum expert!! which is the sweetest "aroma"? Which is the tangiest "aroma"?
Old August 17, 2007   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I thought ramapo was a plum?

No, it's a round red and what Bark has is a version that I dehybridized that he feels has most of the same qualities as the F1 original, with which I agree.

Some folks are now on the F4 and F5 of this dehybridized version and it seems to be holding up quite well as to stabillity.

And I also agree with what Bark said, and that's the meaty varieties have few seed locules, thus fewer seeds to deal with.

I think it['s just a matter or trying different varieties and trying strainers for seeds such as Mark uses, and then deciding what works best for you in terms of taste, sauce consistency and seed removal.
Old August 17, 2007   #11
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

One of my favorite traditional plum shaped types that is a tomato machine - and has the advantage of good fresh flavor (so more versatile than many of the Roma types) is the bright yellow fruited, indeterminate Yellow Bell. To me, this is a highly underrated variety...you just gotta like yellow tomato sauce or paste!

I don't grow specific types for sauce or paste - I use whatever is ripe....you just need to adjust the time to evaporate off the moisture (esp. in those that are particularly juicy).
Old August 17, 2007   #12
where_with_all
Tomatovillian™

"The Sarnowski family, from whom I got the seeds, wanted to call it a plum, but I don't see it that way at all."

Carolyn,What would you call it?

The reasons I don't like paste tomatoes, as a group, are b'c many are very susceptible to Early Blight ( A. solani) as well as BER, and most importantly to me, as a group do not have such great tastes. Just my opinion.[/quote]

Carolyn, I agree with your comment regarding plum and early blight. But I have to then wonder- if such a problem how come they have become the defacto standard for canning and making sauce? How can commercial growers hang their hats on a tomato with susceptability to blight and BER (some of my Opalka suffered from this).

Is there something about plum tomatoes that make them especially good for sauce?

There are huge companies in Italy making a living on San Marzano- which I consider bland for fresh eating but great when cooked down. Seems like I am missing something here.

Anyway- I am loving all the comments. Its going to make my decison tough for next year.
Old August 17, 2007   #13
korney19

Here! You decide! some are other people's comments, list is mostly in alphabetical order. I've included some excellent heart varieties too. Some listed are great canners as well:

BISIGNANO #2--70 DAYS--Large spreading Indet. vine, to 14 oz. prolific, variable shape,(globe to plum) on same plant. Great flavor, juicy and seedy, a great all purpose tomato. Sturdy, rampant vines, set out four different fruit shapes; oval, globes, plums, and large heart shapes. All are thick walled and meaty, deep orange-red with full, rich tomato flavor. One of the best processing types you'll ever find. From Italy at least 30 years ago, via Mr. Bisignano (finalist in Victory Garden TV contest of 1984) for whom the tomato named.

"BLOCKY" MARZANO---70-80 DAYS--INDET. San Marzano type plants, seeds originally from El Salvador. Most fruits are red, lobed or ribbed like a bell pepper, but still a plum shape like the original San Marzano, about 3 inches long by up to 2 inches wide/square, in clusters of 4 to 8 or so.

BUTTER AND BULL HEART*--75-80 DAYS--Nice, 3-4" pink, heart-shaped fruits, almost coming to a rounded point on the bottom on many; very good flavor; a good tomato for canning or slicing. Originally from Jenny Virsnieks, a Latvian immigrant now living in ★★★★★★★★ City, WI.

ERNIE'S PLUMP--75-80 DAYS--Cooks down to the the reddest, richest, flavorful sauce ever! 8 -12oz. fruits are a most unique shape: "plump" double pears with a tiny blossom scar, almost a wide bell-shaped. Rich beyond words. Extreme producer.

HEIDI--75 DAYS--Medium sized INDET. plant that bears thick walled paste type fruits with tender skin. Originated in Cameroon. 2.5" pear shape, red paste fruit, rich tomato flavor, high yields.

HERMAN'S YELLOW--75-80 DAYS--Droopy foliage type INDET. Golden to pale orange heart shaped, with intense but balanced flavor, with slight hints of citrus; 12-16oz or more.

HORVATH--75-80 DAYS--Perhaps my biggest surprise in cooking-type tomatoes. The plant was grown in a 4 gallon bucket (maybe 3/4ths full) with drip irrigation and put out huge, blocky, pointy plums, some 6 inches long by 3 inches wide. Very few seeds inside. Very meaty and solid. Great for sauce or canning. Family heirloom of the Horvath Family, Edison, NJ, original seed from an area in Italy on the Adriatic Sea.

JOE'S PLUM--75-85 DAYS--Indet. Huge red 8-12oz. plums with solid flesh, not many seeds and sweet rich flavor. Plants produce high yields. Big (up to 4x5"), blocky, red, very meaty fruits; great for canning but I loved them fresh. Originally from Charles Daidone, NJ, who got seeds from a gardener named Joe who got seeds from Italy.

KALMAN'S HUNGARIAN PINK*--77-82 DAYS--INDET. Hungarian heirloom imported by Kalman Lajvort of Edison, N.J. 8-10oz for me using drip fertigation. Outstanding flavor & production; somewhat barrel or plum shaped pinks.

KHIRHIV--75 DAYS--Indet. A large elongated plum shaped red with great flavor. Can be used fresh, for sauce, or canned.

KORNEY'S CROSS F6-T--65-70 DAYS--An intentional cross between a determinate rugose leaf red beefsteak pollinated by Black Plum; F5 seed produced 2 different versions, this one is a 2-2.5"+ brown/mahogany slightly plum-shaped fruit. This version is slightly taller than it is wide, more plum shaped, and slightly more solid than KORNEY'S CROSS F6-W. Thick walls, tangy acidic flavor, great for salsa or whole canning. Stays on plant well, keeps on counter for a while.

MARTINO'S ROMA--75-80 DAYS--DET. Rugose leaf. Great flavored heavy yielder of 2-3 oz Red plum/pear type fruit, possibly the highest yielding of all the Roma types. 3 in. long. These paste-type fruit are meaty with few seeds and almost no juice, perfect for cooking, salsa, etc. Compact determinate plants.

ORANGE BANANA*--85 DAYS--Indet. Orange Banana was the clear winner of an autumn paste taste at the Shipmans in Maine. Sweet flavor of Sungold but with more depth, makes a great sauce by itself, or adds a fruity complexity to other sauces. Orange fruits 3-4" long avg 4-5 oz.

POWER'S HEIRLOOM--80 DAYS--INDET. Clear yellow large paste type plum tomato, 4-7 oz. usually 3½" long with a slight point on the blossom end. Very productive and pretty. Sweet, juicy. Heavy set of light yellow fruits with pale yellow almost white flesh.

PRUE--80-85 DAYS--INDET. Wispy almost floppy leaved plant. The tomato of Mr. Henry Prue, an old timer born at the turn of the century who started gardening back in the 20’s-30’s. Somewhere between plum and heart shaped, very meaty, can vary in size from 3” wide at the top and 4” long with a nipple, to being 4” wide and 5” long. About 5-12oz though some bigger, occasionally hitting a pound or more. Prue starts turning a pinkish/red in a variegated pattern and parts are green while other parts are getting red--at first uneven ripening at early stages, though it ends up solid red. Sometimes thought to resemble a “Charley Brown Christmas tree" with scrawny sparse leaves that often look twisted or flopping over! It's taste is very good, quite different from many other reds, a somewhat earthy taste, not all that sweet, the essence of what tomatoey would be, all sorts of tastes linger on the tongue after you've taken a mouthful.

RIO GRANDE--75 DAYS--Determinate. Rugose-leaved, compact growth. Seems very disease resistant - A super canner, out produces anything I have seen. Fruit larger & twice as much as Roma. Giant plum shaped to globe shaped. Expect 4 quarts of sauce per plant. NOTE: MINE CONTINUOUSLY TOPPLE THE CHEAP 3-RING HARDWARE STORE CAGES.

ROSALIE'S PASTE*--80 DAYS--INDET. A large bright red heart shaped paste. Meaty with nice flavor. Heavy production. 3 x 4-inch, pointed. A great sauce tomato. Good concentrated flavors. Juicy enough to make a good slicer too.

RUSSIAN 117--80-85 DAYS--Large red heart-shaped fruit is often doubled like side-by-side hearts, up to 1 lb. or more. Great taste, solid dense meat and not many seeds. More productive than the typical oxheart types.

SLANKARD'S*--75-85 DAYS--Large pink blocky hearts, many 1lb or more, quite productive, mild, meaty. Large (4-5"), very few seeds; great flavor; excellent canner. Family heirloom Michael Byrne of MI.

SOJOURNER SOUTH AMERICAN*--80-55 DAYS--INDET. regular leaf. Large to very large blocky plum shaped fruit. Extremely heavy for its size! Bright red with excellent, wonderfully sweet flavor. Said to keep setting fruit in 100° weather and drought. Sometimes a bit slow to fully ripen but you WILL be rewarded. NOTE: THIS WAS A GREAT SURPRISE, SWEET & MEATY, PLUS STILL A LITTLE JUICY, MOST 3½-4" X 2½-3"W. EARLIER THAN CLAIMED.

SPECKLED ROMAN--75 DAYS--Up to 5x3" tapered red fruits with stunning wavy golden orange stripes; fruits meaty and with excellent flavor; very productive.

TEN FINGERS of NAPLES ( Dix Doights De Naples )*--Clusters of elongated plum tomatoes! Heavy yields on tall vines produce plenty of fruits in bunches of 4 to 8 or more, lots of elongate little blocky bright red paste tomatoes. Firm meaty tomatoes with little seeds, excellent tomato for cooking, paste, puree, etc.

UKRAINIAN HEART--75-80 DAYS--A "Huge" surprise for me! These were large to very large pinks, almost triangular wedges, one of the best tasting varieties I grew this past season. Large pink, 5", round fruit, high shoulders, flat sides, sweet flavor, to 1.5 lbs.

UNCLE STEVE'S*--70-80 DAYS--Italian plum of Steve Messina, 6oz and up plum type tomato, nice and meaty, great for cooking, and sauce, juicy enough to eat fresh too. Mine were HUGE blocky plums, some 5-6 inches long and over 3 inches wide when grown in a 4 gallon bucket with drip irrigation! Uncle Steve's, Horvath, and Yugoslavian were my biggest "cooking tomato" surprises of the season.

WAGNER'S ITALIAN--70-80 DAYS--Indet. Deep pink elongated/pointed plum shaped paste tomato. This was beautifully aromatic, tasty and sweet, good enough to eat fresh. Very rare for a plum/paste type, since most are red and really dry--Wagner's was juicy enough for fresh eating, or in salads, and a beautiful deep pink color.

WES*--75-80 DAYS--INDET. Wispy oxheart type foliage. Large heart shaped red fruits, often with blunt bottoms (no points) and some almost huge doubles. Great flavor; cut it open and smell the intense aroma; not many seeds. A great tomato!

YUGOSLAVIAN--75-80 DAYS--A great yet unusual tomato. Deep pink almost plum-shaped to pear-shaped fruits, some doubles, produced all season for me. Wonderful aroma when cut open, and great taste too! A slight bit of hollowness on some, but juicier than a paste type tomato. 4-6oz fruits about 2½ inches by 3 inches, the doubles were up to 4 inches wide. Was great, my favorite sliced on white pizza all season long.

Roughwood Golden Plum--Indet. Potato Leaf. Orange fruits resemble 2 plum tomatoes grown together; was a stable F9 cross of Yellow Brandywine x San Marzano. up to 5oz.

Sarnowski Polish Plum--4-6 oz. mostly plum-shaped red paste type tomatoes on sprawling vines. Good flavor and yield. Family heirloom brought to NY from Poland in 1890s. Indeterminate.

Wuhib--3" long 3-chambered dry, meaty paste tomato on semi-determinate 3½' vines; quite productive and somewhat larger than San Marzano, but more difficult to prepare for drying due to odd number of chambers. NY MA C 96 From Tadessee Wuhib of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Old August 17, 2007   #14
where_with_all
Tomatovillian™

didn't mean to upset you Mark. Thanks for the info.
Old August 17, 2007   #15
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by where_with_all View Post
didn't mean to upset you Mark. Thanks for the info.
Upset me? not at all. It's just hard to remember what everything tastes like and hard to tell you in words... I grow 80-100 varieties each year (very few in brought back consecutive years--I still have seeds for maybe 100 varieties I didn't get to yet!)) and some I even miss--they slip by me, get given away, get used for seeds or cooking mixed with other varieties, I get tomato burnout, etc.

I posted everything above from my spring ebay ad, they are honest general consensus descriptions plus many have my personal comments, especially if I liked them, though just because something doesn't have my personal comments in bold print doesn't mean it wasn't very good or great....some have my personal experiences within the generic descriptions.

It's best to carefully read the descriptions and draw your own conclusions on which to try, and the only way you'll know if they are great or not is to grow them!

I'm glad I can help!

Mark