Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old April 17, 2013   #16
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the additional information Gary .......... looks likely I'll end up with a pink heart - the leaves seems to have that special "wild scent"

Any pics of your F2 grow outs - are the plants generally well behaved or really large - I'm hoping to do this one in a 5 gal container.
Old April 19, 2013   #17
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Denise,

A heart is likely, but the color may or may not be pink. Others, from what I've heard, get a higher % of gold (yellow/orange) fruit than I do. They also get globe shaped fruit, which I have not seen.

I received a "have" list of tomato varieties from a Canadian, over the winter. On the list was Angel Heart, which is a growout (not by me) of one selection of the Persimmon sport. I've been looking for seed of this tomato, but I didn't expect to see it listed for the first time in Canada.

A five gallon pot would likely be OK. Plant size of F2's, for me, have been average compared to other hearts I've tried.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2013   #18
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Thought I'd provide an update on this one ......... the plant shown here is growing in a 5 gal container at my place ........ it was the first of the three plants to set fruit - and very early for my garden .... prolific too

The other at home plant is rather small and has just started to set wee fruit. The third plant in Plot 5 at the community garden has done a Medusa ...... had to cut a few branches just to stop it from taking over my plot - will get a few pics of that one shortly .... lots of fruit on that one too ... but smaller than one shown below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 07 14 blackie's spit 018.jpg (310.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 2013 07 14 blackie's spit 023.jpg (329.3 KB, 32 views)
Old July 26, 2013   #19
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Medusa...that really describes the original sport that showed up in my garden.

Thanks for the update, Denise.

Gary
Old July 27, 2013   #20
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

My larger at home plant has started to colour ........... not sure if it is a bi-colour of just a case of uneven ripening ............. it gets the squeeze test a few times a day

OK had to pick it ............ looks like it will be a pink ......... shown with my first handful of ripe Sunsugar F1 ............ strange how this one is fluted while others on same plant are not ........... I've seen pics of Persimmon with both variations as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 07 27 home tomatoes 002.jpg (343.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2013 07 27 home tomatoes 005.jpg (336.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 2013 07 28 toms and SPEC garden 031.jpg (214.9 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by PNW_D; July 28, 2013 at 03:17 PM.
PNW_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #21
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

D,

I've seen very few fluted fruit from this Persimmon sport. All had semi-hollow locules, which from what I hear is weather related. Your tomato has about twice the amount of fluting compared to what I've seen.

Gary
Old August 1, 2013   #22
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Here's the sliced pic from the at home plant ....... pink - clear skin, no memorable taste, little juice, but likely picked too soon; did have a bit of acid bite ....... looks like it is trying hard to be a heart

and have a look at Medusa - at community garden plot - this is only a few of its tomatoes set to date!! I've started to cut ends off branches - just too big and wouldn't ripen now anyhoo - no colour to date
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 08 01 vandusen 16 oaks toms 005.jpg (273.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 2013 08 01 vandusen 16 oaks toms 147.jpg (338.9 KB, 28 views)
Old August 26, 2013   #23
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Update ........

first pic showing fruit from at home (pink) plant and "Medusa" - some are not yet ripe

yesterday decided to clean up Plot 5 as Medusa had fallen over from weight of tomatoes - as these were rather bland I had no problem harvesting them all - perhaps some tomato/peach jam??

anyhoo, total from yesterday's picking from one plant 20 plus pounds!!! A record for me.

I was also thinking if anyone is interested in using this one for a cross there are heart genes in there, clear skin, and unreal production - now just need some flavour
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 toms fc spec plot 5 010.jpg (320.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 2013 toms fc spec plot 5 093.jpg (344.3 KB, 23 views)