Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2013   #1
zenthumbs
Tomatovillian™

Default Keep self-seeded seedlings?

A couple of my red cherry heirlooms from last season must've fallen on the ground and now i have lots of 6" seedlings. Should i let them grow out or destroy them and start new seedlings from seeds that i've saved and treated by fermentation? I'm not planning to grow more than 3 so want to make sure they will be good plants, but i'm also a bit late in starting my seedlings. Sine these self sowed plants seeds were not fermented, am i risking disease?
zenthumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2013   #2
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Actually, those volunteer seeds likely fermented too. When a tomato falls to the ground and lays there, it spoils, i.e. ferments.

I don't think you are running any higher disease risk than you are when you stick that transplant into that same soil. Real question is... How sure are you that it is the variety you want?

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2013   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
Actually, those volunteer seeds likely fermented too. When a tomato falls to the ground and lays there, it spoils, i.e. ferments.

I don't think you are running any higher disease risk than you are when you stick that transplant into that same soil. Real question is... How sure are you that it is the variety you want?

This was my exact thought, too. Me? I would start my "I know what it is seed" and pull the others. I have never found any excellent volunteers in the garden from the cherry toms I have had, but I probably had all hybrids, too.
Old April 2, 2013   #4
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

I always let a volunteer or two live. I've had some very nice surprises with them. I would evaluate if you have the room, how much you loved the parent plant and how likely it is that the baby might give you something good.

Volunteers are sort of like surprise boxes, it can be fun to see what you will get, provided you have the room for them. I've never had an issue related to disease with them. On the contrary they often seem to be hardier than the transplants.

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #5
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Do you know what Alexander Livingston said about [tomato] volunteers? Nothing good becomes of them*. I'm with him. You can do what you want, but I get rid of them.

*Note: I don't have his book with me so I'm paraphrasing. I'll look up the exact quotes.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #6
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Let them grow - there won't be any greater chance of disease and you will be gaining about 6-8 weeks of time. (assuming it was an heirloom/OP variety and not an F1 hybrid, and you are sure the seedlings came from a tomato on that plant). If in doubt, let one grow, and plant 2 more from your saved seed.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #7
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

This guy volunteered in late fall so I just covered him when needed. I think it's Matt's Wild Cherry. It's almost 3 feet tall. I'm happy to let him live on. Just some food for thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130403_145830.jpg (734.6 KB, 36 views)
checkerkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #8
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Here is the exact text from Alexander Livingston's book:
"...I am aware that that it will not do to set out tomato plants that come up of themselves from the last year's crop, even when that crop was considered pure stock. It is left to itself, and whatever of bad nature there may be in it is sure to come out. This I know to be a fact - volunteers will not do to use..."

Copyright disclaimer: The above text excerpt is for educational purposes.

You may say that Alexander Livingston was old fashioned in his views. Or you may say the above text was written in the 1890s and is of no value today. However, remember that Livingston is the one that figured out that you select from the best plant(s) not the best fruit. The plant has the genetics not individual fruit.

Randy
Old April 4, 2013   #9
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

The chance of disease tends to come up in these types of discussions.

If there is no pathogen in the soil, then the risk of disease is not increased. However, if there are pathogens in the soid consider the following 2 scenarios:

1) Tomatoes drop to the ground, fermint in soil with pathogens (pathogens overwinter and become active in the spring).

2) Tomatoes are selected, fermented and the seeds are given a bleach bath before storage to eradicate seed borne diseases.

Which one of those two methods is more likely to produce diseased plants?

Tomato seeds will only germinate when the soil becomes warm enough. If you've timed your indoor seed starting properly you won't really gain much time - a week or so at the most. This is true for any climates that experience frost/hard freezes.

If you're in a frost/hard freeze producing climate and you haven't started your seedlings indoors by the time volunteers come up why are you doing it that way? If you're okay with doing it that way then why would you want plants started sooner?

Randy

p.s. BTW, I strongly suspect you're going to let them grow.

Last edited by WVTomatoMan; April 4, 2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added the p.s.
Old April 4, 2013   #10
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't let volunteers go in my yard because the chipmunks were chomping and throwing my tomatoes around everywhere. I'd have no idea what was what, and don't have room for surprises. That being said, the sungold was dropping fruit faster than I could pick, so there is one spot I know for sure I'll have tons of sungold seedlings. I won't be able to grow them, and they are a hybrid anyway, so who knows what I'd get. If I had a big field I might move them over there just to see what happens for fun.
Old April 4, 2013   #11
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
A couple of my red cherry heirlooms from last season must've fallen on the ground and now i have lots of 6" seedlings. Should i let them grow out or destroy them and start new seedlings from seeds that i've saved and treated by fermentation? I'm not planning to grow more than 3 so want to make sure they will be good plants, but i'm also a bit late in starting my seedlings. Sine these self sowed plants seeds were not fermented, am i risking disease?
Zenthumbs said above that the seeds were heirlooms, and I'm assuming she/he found the seedlings right under last years growing spot, so there should be little problem with the seed variety. There will be no more likelihood of disease than with indoor seeds, and since the seeds sprouted outdoors under non-pampered conditions, they are already hardened off and ready to go, and Zen says she/he is late in starting seeds. I say - Keep Them!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #12
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Hey Zen why don't you report back as the season progresses how these volunteer plants compare to last year's plants. Pictures would be nice.

Randy
Old April 4, 2013   #13
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Default Volunteers

Yes by all means let them or some live and report.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #14
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I got to go with Randy on this one. With very few exceptions, forget the volunteers.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #15
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

I don't see the harm in letting a few grow for curiosity.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote