Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 4, 2013   #1
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

Default Where to find worm castings in Northern Ohio?

I've been calling around and can only find small bags (5lbs) but I need a lot more than that and those little bags are quite pricey.

Any ideas on where to find this in northern OH or a good alternative? Thanks
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #2
JohnWxNC
Tomatovillian™

I can't speak for northern OH garden centers, but Amazon currently has Wiggle Worm brand earthworm castings for about $20 for a 15lb bag.
JohnWxNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #3
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

kevn357,
Here's a link to a website in Ohio that has shipping included in their price. They have two 15# bags for $32.00. http://www.rootnaturally.com/store/e...-castings.html I hope this is what your looking for.
DP
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #4
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Did you check Craigslist? I tried selecting CL Cleveland and did a search. There was one that came up that is probably too far to drive, SW Ohio, but maybe they ship. Seeing some in Michigan if that is convenient to anyone. (Detroit and Ann Arbor areas.)
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #5
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

You are unlikely to find worm castings cheap anywhere. They are magic and priced accordingly. Consider starting your own population. They are pretty carefree. My worms are fancy in that they reside in this worm condo. It is completely odor free. I keep it on the laundry room. The spigot is a nice feature for instant worm tea. This set up will not provide hundreds of pounds of castings but you don't need that much. A bit addition to each planting hole and to the seedling cells is still great. I have this one but mine has a peaked cover which is absolutely critical.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #6
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i ordered direct from wiggle worm once. the stuff looked insanely good. nice texture, super black color, not bad smelling. it was mixed in as an ingredient in a new bed which did well for me. no clue if the wiggle worm stuff played a big part in that but it didnt hurt.

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote