Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Interested in planning your own tomato-tasting event? Post your ideas and/or plans here!

Old September 13, 2009   #1
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Default RediscoveringCanadianTomatoes-19Sept2009/COG Perth-Waterloo-Wellington'sDiversityGdns

Rediscovering Canadian Tomatoes
Saturday, September 19, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Did you know that there are no longer any garden tomato breeding programs in Canada? All new varieties on the market are bred for American gardens and growing conditions. Most seed companies are importing seeds from other countries and tomatoes that were bred in Canada in decades past are being lost. But - you can save them!! Come learn to grow heritage tomatoes and save their seed. You’ll get a chance to taste true Canadian tomatoes and take some of their seeds home with you for next year. Stay for an afternoon of canning and preserving tomatoes - sauce, salsa, juice and more. Hosted by Garden Party.

All events are at Diversity Gardens - 1528 Notre Dame Drive (between St. Agatha and Petersburg)

Contact us at cogpww@sympatico.ca for more information. For more events click here www.cogwaterloo.ca

Please note this is going to be happening just west of WATERLOO and east of Stratford, Ontario

I'm planning on being there...anybody care to join me? LOL
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2009   #2
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Zana,
You are getting lucky with all these cool events near you! I wish I could go, but I've taken off too many weekend days already, and I need more off with both the weddings coming up.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2009   #3
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

Tempting, but too much going on locally this weekend.

Two of the largest fairs in the peninsula; Binbrook and the Niagara Exhibition. I'm hoping to see locally grown produce and maybe a few friends.
bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2009   #4
Zana
Tomatovillian™

We had great weather.....and some good varieties to taste test. Even a few that were new to moi!....like New Zealand Pear and Madame Beauce (the latter being a variety from Quebec). Small turn out, but it was the first year they'd tried it.

I took along my seed stash and paid forward past generousities given me. Lots of newbies biten by the heirloom tomato bug. Glad to share what I could. Next year, hopefully I can get Julianna and a few others from southern Ontario to make the trek.

Some of the attendees combined it with a trip to Stratford for plays, since the demonstration farm is located between Kitchener-Waterloo and Stratford. Great day....Tomatoes and Shakespeare or other plays.

They've got a gourd and squash workshop coming up in October. Unfortunately I'll be working Oktoberfest during that time.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote