Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old March 27, 2019   #1
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

This thread reminds me of my ultimate allium for aroma and flavor...ramps. It's almost that time of the year for the hunt. And, if the river don't rise too high, fiddleheads too.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2019   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
This thread reminds me of my ultimate allium for aroma and flavor...ramps. It's almost that time of the year for the hunt. And, if the river don't rise too high, fiddleheads too.

Ramps and fiddleheads? ... Sounds like a marriage made in heaven.
Parsnips and lovage is one of my favorite spring weddings. That is if you have parsnips to dig after winter, of course.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2019   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

Nice and warm here today in the 40's F. Garlic tips are just through the ground. The shallots are coming up through their 'self mulching' leaves. Not bothered by our ups and downs. Pic of shallots and then a patch of chives for comparison, which I know are never affected by winter of any kind. One looks as hardy as the other, I don't think I will worry in future years about any well rooted shallots that winter over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shallot-tips.JPG (276.5 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg chive-tips.JPG (213.2 KB, 123 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote