Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 22, 2013   #1
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Default Pics from my 2012 growing season in NJ.

Hello Everyone,

Pics from my 2012 growing season here in NJ:

tomatoseedlings4.8.2012.jpg Tomato plants. April 8, 2012

tomatoseedlings4.15.2012.jpg Tomato plants. April 15, 2012

Africanqueen-7.28.2012.jpg African Queen

GreatwhiteBlackkrim-8.14.2012.jpg Great White and Black Krim

unripenedvirginiasweets-8.31.2012.jpg Unripened Virginia Sweets

orangerussian117.jpg Orange Russian 117

Orangerussian117-2nd.jpg Orange Russian 117

orangerussianotv2012.jpg Orange Russian 117

orangerussiansweetpeacupani.jpg Orange Russian 117, with Sweet Pea Cupani

2orangerussianotv2012.jpg Orange Russian 117

2orangerussian2012.jpg Orange Russian 117

tomatoes2012.jpg Orange Russian 117, Black Krim, Rosella Purple, Patio and Better Bush Tomato

Auntgertiesgold-8.31.2012.jpg Aunt Gertie's Gold

Auntgertiesgold-8.31.2012.2nd.jpg Aunt Gertie's Gold

Auntgertiesgold9.4.2012.jpg Aunt Gertie's Gold
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orangerussianfront2012.jpg (300.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg OranjeRussian117-7.22.2012.jpg (333.2 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Alfredo; February 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking Tomatoes.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013   #3
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Very nice pics Alfredo! Any returnees for the 2013 growing season?
How big did your African Queen get? I had one that weighed almost three pounds..
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013   #4
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks barefootgardener and Doug9345.

My 2013 Grow list :

barefootgardener, these are my returnees as they have grown quite well for me here in Zone 6 NJ in previous years:

1. Pruden's Purple
2. Aunt Gertie's Gold
3. Costoluto Fiorentino
4. Virginia Sweets
5. San Marzano Redorta
6. New Big Dwarf
7. Rosella Purple
8. McClintock's Big Pink
9. Black Krim

10. African Queen, The plant itself grew quite tall, 6-7ft, and I did grow tomatoes over 2 lbs (and maybe I had one that was near 3 lbs) however it didn't grow as productive (in terms of quantity of tomatoes) in my garden as it did in my mother's garden on the other side of town, but I'm the one who takes care of her tomato plants (i.e. I grow all the tomato plants from seed, plant them, I add the compost, prune them, prop up the supports, etc.). Go figure. I must've done something wrong with that specific plant in my garden (as i had to remove the entire plant in the middle of the season because the plant itself started turning yellow), so I'm trying my hand at it again, as I enjoyed the taste of the African Queen tomato. She does water her raised garden bed less than I do mine, so I'm probably guilty of babysitting my tomatoes too much (if there's such a thing) and I could have possibly overwatered my African Queen tomato plant.

These tomatoes I'll be growing for the first time:

11. Brandywine Red (Landis Valley Strain). From what I've read on here, there is no "strain" of Brandywine. Landis Valley refers to the place Tomato Growers Supply Company got the seed from. (Thanks for posting that info btw Carolyn)
12. Kosovo
13. German Giant
14. Matt's Wild Cherry
15. Sophie's Choice

Which tomatoes have you grown successfully over by you barefootgardener? Any favorites? ~Alfredo
Old February 22, 2013   #5
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Alfredo

Simply lovely!! Edible art from the artist.
Old February 22, 2013   #6
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Julia View Post
Alfredo

Simply lovely!! Edible art from the artist.
Thanks PA Julia.
Old February 23, 2013   #7
Simone
Tomatovillian™

Alfredo,

I love the Orange Russian 117 pics.
Hope my plants will not suffer this year under the mites like 2012.

Wish you good look for this season...

Simone
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2013   #8
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone View Post
Alfredo,

I love the Orange Russian 117 pics.
Hope my plants will not suffer this year under the mites like 2012.

Wish you good look for this season...

Simone
Thanks Simone
Yikes...mites? What varieties do you like to grow in Germany?

~Alfredo
Old February 23, 2013   #9
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Great looking tomatoes, Alfredo! I enjoyed the pix. Your photographic skills, (composition, framing and lighting) add quite a bit to the "drool factor"; I feel, almost, as if I need to wash tomato seeds from my chin.

And that Orange Russian looks great. Does it taste as good as it looks? Because, if it does, I may have to start some of those right away!
Charlie
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2013   #10
Simone
Tomatovillian™

Alfredo

i can not tell you how many varieties i will grow, because there are too many.
But i will take a lot of pictures and show them when everything goes well.

Last year i had grown a lot of varieties from Tom Wagner, and will continue with these this year.

As I live in west (the milder part of Germany) it is possible to grow every tomato variety i want; my greenhouses help me a lot .

Simone
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2013   #11
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone View Post
Alfredo

i can not tell you how many varieties i will grow, because there are too many.
But i will take a lot of pictures and show them when everything goes well.

Last year i had grown a lot of varieties from Tom Wagner, and will continue with these this year.

As I live in west (the milder part of Germany) it is possible to grow every tomato variety i want; my greenhouses help me a lot .

Simone
Wow that many and any variety huh...That's great. Nice to have your own greenhouse . I'll make sure to look through your pics to see how you're growing season does. ~Alfredo
Old February 23, 2013   #12
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Really beautiful fruits! Thanks for posting your photos-I really enjoyed looking
at them.
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2013   #13
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Worms? View Post
Great looking tomatoes, Alfredo! I enjoyed the pix. Your photographic skills, (composition, framing and lighting) add quite a bit to the "drool factor"; I feel, almost, as if I need to wash tomato seeds from my chin.

And that Orange Russian looks great. Does it taste as good as it looks? Because, if it does, I may have to start some of those right away!
Charlie
Hello Got Worms,

Thanks!, Maybe my years in art school and being an oil painter influenced that. The Orange Russian 117 does taste good, it's a slightly sweet flavor, to me at least, however I didn't get to see how productive it could really be as I used it as a bumper crop mid-way through the season to replace another tomato plant variety I removed in my raised garden bed ( I usually have extra tomato plants that I grow on hand in case I need/or want to replace another tomato plant). I might grow it again this season, I just have to find a spot for it as I'm always trying a few different varieties each year, and regrowing some of my favorites.. ~Alfredo
Old February 23, 2013   #14
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Really beautiful fruits! Thanks for posting your photos-I really enjoyed looking
at them.
Thanks greyghost,

What varieties have been growing well for you over in southeastern PA?

~Alfredo
Old February 23, 2013   #15
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo View Post
Thanks barefootgardener and Doug9345.

My 2013 Grow list :

barefootgardener, these are my returnees as they have grown quite well for me here in Zone 6 NJ in previous years:

1. Pruden's Purple
2. Aunt Gertie's Gold
3. Costoluto Fiorentino
4. Virginia Sweets
5. San Marzano Redorta
6. New Big Dwarf
7. Rosella Purple
8. McClintock's Big Pink
9. Black Krim

10. African Queen, The plant itself grew quite tall, 6-7ft, and I did grow tomatoes over 2 lbs (and maybe I had one that was near 3 lbs) however it didn't grow as productive (in terms of quantity of tomatoes) in my garden as it did in my mother's garden on the other side of town, but I'm the one who takes care of her tomato plants (i.e. I grow all the tomato plants from seed, plant them, I add the compost, prune them, prop up the supports, etc.). Go figure. I must've done something wrong with that specific plant in my garden (as i had to remove the entire plant in the middle of the season because the plant itself started turning yellow), so I'm trying my hand at it again, as I enjoyed the taste of the African Queen tomato. She does water her raised garden bed less than I do mine, so I'm probably guilty of babysitting my tomatoes too much (if there's such a thing) and I could have possibly overwatered my African Queen tomato plant.

These tomatoes I'll be growing for the first time:

11. Brandywine Red (Landis Valley Strain). From what I've read on here, there is no "strain" of Brandywine. Landis Valley refers to the place Tomato Growers Supply Company got the seed from. (Thanks for posting that info btw Carolyn)
12. Kosovo
13. German Giant
14. Matt's Wild Cherry
15. Sophie's Choice

Which tomatoes have you grown successfully over by you barefootgardener? Any favorites? ~Alfredo
Alfredo, Of the returnees on your list, I have grown Virginia Sweets, Aunt Gerties Gold, and Blk Krim. All three had amazing flavor, and did well for me. The fruit from Virginia Sweets were large, but production was a little low.
I have been growing Black Krim for close to 22+ years, and it usually returns to my garden most years. It is one of my fav. blacks, and very productive for me.
Aunt Gerties Gold, was a bit more mild, but still good. The plants kept producing all through fall. I only grew it one time, in 2010, and have not grown it since. Had others I wanted to try.
On your new to grow list, I have grown Kosovo once, but it succumbed to early blight, and have not tried it since.

Lets see, varieties that I have grown successfully, and that are favorites, are some I have been growing since I first discovered heirlooms 22+ years ago:
Aunt Ruby's German Green, Black Krim, Kellog's Breakfast, Brandywine, Black From Tula, Rose, Old German, Rose De Berne, Pantano Romanesco (Returnee), Amish Paste.

Others: Purple Dog Creek (Grown for four years, One of my fav's..Returnee), Thessaloniki, Japanese Black Trifelle (very productive, really great taste), Cherokee Purple, White Current, (love the little sweet fruits, very productive, long vines), Fish Lake Oxheart (Returnee), Aunt Ginny's, Costoluto Genovese, (extremely productive, great canner, love it!), Wessells Purple Pride (very productive), Druzba (very productive, good flavor), Couilles De Taureau (returnee, a real beauty with great flavor), Hege German Pink (Lg pink Beef, productive), Sarnowski Polish Plum, Kenosha Paste (very productive), Carol Chyko, Olayers German, Coustrollee (productive, large), Neves Azorian Red (grown in GH, late, LG, but excellent taste), African Queen (late, grown in GH, Great flavor), Earl Of Edgecomb,(GH..excellent producer), Sierra Leone (GH..Somewhat hollow..Stuffer.) Stump Of The World (GH..Late..excellent taste), Bear Claw, Champagne Cherry (excellent flavor, extemely productive), Coyote, similar to champagne, with fruity undertones ..Thai Pink Egg (grape, very crisp, mild ,extremely productive all season), Tesse's Land Race Current (Very tall vines, small cherry red fruits, tart/tomato flavor, extremely productive,) Indian Stripe, Eva Purple Ball, Sandul Moldovan (excellent tomato, my darn chickens enjoyed them also , Rebecca Sebastians Bullbag, Black Mt Pink, Crnkovic Yugoslavian (GH..Great flavor, productive), Giant Sicilian paste, excellent production, large, prone to some disease late in season.., Ludmilla Pink Heart, Lillian Macjejewski,

I have grown many more..But these all did pretty well for me, most years. Sorry for any mispelling of names..I am typing without my reading glasses..

Ginny

Last edited by barefootgardener; February 23, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote