Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old August 23, 2015   #1
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Default beginner question

Hi everyone,

I'm growing onions, garlic, shallots, and walking onions for the first time this fall. I may be attempting to collect seed from some of these when they mature. My question is - is it ok to plant these near each other or even in the same bed? thanks
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2015   #2
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

anyone??
Old August 24, 2015   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

http://www.seedsave.org/issi/904/expert.html

Hi there

Onion seeds would be easy to collect but onions are biennial so seed needs to come from second year bulbs.
the blooms are easily cross pollinated by insects. This information indicates for purity of seed, at least 1000 feet or up to a mile between varieties for purity. It's Likely easier to buy seed or sets for onions in order to know what kind to expect for certain
chives and bunching onions or scallions are easy from seed

garlic and shallots in particular would be easier planted from cloves or bulbs.
I prefer onions from seedlings but I buy them already started. Also, be sure to grow onions appropriate to your area as day length matters quite a lot for bulb development

KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; August 24, 2015 at 01:37 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2015   #4
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Thank you KarenO. Very helpful.
Old August 24, 2015   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

You are most welcome

Welcome to Tomatoville too!

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2015   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'd say sure you can plant some different alliums in the same bed, but best not to plant alliums in that same bed next year - rotate them somewhere else. At least, that's recommended to reduce risk of losses by pest or disease. Some people seem to do alright using the same bed for several years so for sure it depends on where you are and what the resident pests/diseases have to say.

The Egyptian Onion is perennial, so although you can move them if's more to the point to put them somewhere you want to leave them for a few years. I got some great topsets from a friend last fall and stuck them into a couple of small beds or as borders with other perennials - I must say they are very ornamental with their tops happening. I'd like to try the little topset onions for pickles when they are ready.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2015   #7
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Thanks bower. I'm excited about starting the Egyptians. I have a rather large garden area and a spot planned for them but plenty of room if they need moving. My attitude is that everything in the garden is an experiment. Oh except the asparagus which grows so well here that it inspired me to try a lot of other things.
Old August 25, 2015   #8
bower
Tomatovillian™

Perennial vegetables... yes I like that drift. If asparagus likes your soil, I bet you'll do great with the onions and garlic. I wish my Egyptian onions were next to an asparagus bed!

I have a couple of varieties of green onions which are supposedly perennial - Hardy Evergreen and another unnamed variety, which I'm leaving in the field as an experiment this year, along with some American Flag leeks of various age groups.... a colony of leeks if you like.

Still hoping for self seedng celery here, they are taking forever to be done wtih their mass of flowers.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2015   #9
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

My Egyptian onions never grew large. I used the top bulbs eat or to replant and I used the leaves for green onions. The bottom bulbs I was always told were exceptionally strong tasting and hot, so I never tried those. They don't take up any more space than regular onions, maybe that is because I used them a lot though. I moved and lost them all, but I never really got attached to them, because the bulbs are small and hard to chop. I always thought about giving potato onions a try. I plant my onions from seed and I've always had a few bolt. I have saved seed from them and just add them into the mix for next year. I always plant around 6 pks of different bought varieties and I add a 1/4 cup of whatever I saved from the year before in. So, I've been mixing them and not isolating them and they all taste just fine to me. Unless you are really into saving without cross pollination, I would go for it.
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2015   #10
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

All good info thanks. I did start some bunching onions. They are still in the tiny thread stage. What size do potato onions grow to?
Old August 26, 2015   #11
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

Potato onions/multiplier onions should be larger than shallots. I don't know the reason, but many people say their's only get to about shallot size. Either way, they'd be bigger than the Egyptian's and that is what I was interested in.

And, I have good success with my shallots, they get pretty big for me. Below are some of my shallots that my chickens dug up a few days ago.

Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2015   #12
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking shallots So potato onions are started the same way as shallots right? Planted as bulbs I mean.
Old September 5, 2015   #13
troad
Tomatovillian™

ChiliPeppa,

See here at Tomatoville:
Have: Egyptian Walking Onion bulbils ( 1 2 3 4 )
Old September 5, 2015   #14
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Thanks troad
Old September 8, 2015   #15
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorri D View Post
Potato onions/multiplier onions should be larger than shallots. I don't know the reason, but many people say their's only get to about shallot size. Either way, they'd be bigger than the Egyptian's and that is what I was interested in.

And, I have good success with my shallots, they get pretty big for me. Below are some of my shallots that my chickens dug up a few days ago.

With the potato onions I've tried (an unknown "variety") a small one planted generally produce one large bulb, and a large one planted produces many small bulbs. The medium sized ones, inconclusive.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote