Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 11, 2009   #1
Joel5000
Tomatovillian™

Default Any idea what could be causing this?

I've got an Early Girl in a container that took off like gangbusters but has now slowed way down in its growth rate and is looking quite sickly. The leaves have developed this dark sooty-looking stuff around the edges. Also, it hasn't set much fruit for the size. Pictures are below. Any ideas what this could possibly be? Advice? Thanks!

Joel5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2009   #2
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

It looks like a nutritional deficiency... judging by the dark edges. Try a fish/seaweed foliar spray. Container plants tend to need more nutrition after that kind of a growth spurt.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2009   #3
Joel5000
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!

I don't have a sprayer, but I'll give it a good drench with Omega 6-6-6 and Kelp extract. Glad to hear it looks more like a nutritional deficiency than a disease.
Old July 17, 2009   #4
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Container plants are notorious for leaching out nutrition, so that's what I'd recommend. Good luck!
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2009   #5
Joel5000
Tomatovillian™

Default update

Just an update; I went ahead and gave it a good soaking with fertilizer and kelp extract. (I used Miracle Gro for Tomatoes instead of Omega because my container of Omega is about 4 years old and I wasn't sure if it was still potent.) ANyway, the plant has made a complete recovery, all the new growth looks good, and even much of the older foliage has recovered. Thanks again for the advice. I'll be sure to keep a regular fertilizing schedule.