Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old August 11, 2009   #1
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

Default Christmas Tomatoes

You could possibly have Sophie's Choice if you started now and grew it in a small one gallon pot, to cut its rooting cycle short and force it to bloom quickly.

They are large (to me) tomatoes, with a good flavor, particularly if you like tomatoes on the sweeter side.

jan
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

jan,

I am going to try to over-winter Cold Set tomatoes this November, to see if they survive the couple of frosts we have here in San Jose during the Winter. Here is the info at Gurneys.com:

Cold Set Tomato

(4 customer reviews)

Gurney's Choice Cold Set Open-Pollinated Tomato is the easiest tomato you can grow. Tolerates light frost (withstood 18 degree temperatures in Canadian trials.) Direct seed it, then sit back and wait--but you won't wait for long! Ripens 2 weeks earlier than most. Firm 3- to 4-inch fruits are big on flavor. You won't find a better salad tomato. Determinate vines. 65 DAYS.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2009   #3
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Ray. I didn't mean to start a separate thread, here. I thought I was posting a reply in Barbee's Holiday Tomato thread.

I'll be starting some Cold Set seeds too, for the "cool-tolerant" early spring hoophouse crop, which will also include Imur Prior Beta, because I first saw it listed on a Swedish Tomato site, and Danko (again). I'm going to persist until I actually manage to get tomato from that one. It was showing signs of stellar performance here last spring, before the ground squirrels decimated it.

Rolling, rolling rolling....Keep those 'maters rolling, Rawhide!
(sung in a terrribly off key voice)

jan
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote