Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old June 20, 2011   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I really enjoyed meeting everybody, it always broke my heart to see this event and I had to be at work.

Didn’t get to talk to everyone and I am so thankful to the people that came up to me and told me who they were.
Many of the folks wore name tags with their real name so I couldn’t put the name to the user name here.
Mojo Mike in cypress newatthiskat (Kat) Mdvpc and (Michae), Archerb Dana (blackestkrim)?sp and so forth I remember but many folks I had no idea who they were.

As for the tomatoes I might have had one little black cherry tomato and part of some great horned thing and that was it.
I am a shy person and many people mistake it for conceitedness, I just sort of hung back and watched everybody have a good time.

The more people showed up the farther back I went.
If any of you noticed this or even if you cared, I was a little spooked.

What I observed was what looked like a swarm of locust converge upon the bounty and devour it in good time.
With all of those tomato knives it is a wonder someone didn’t lose a hand or at least part of a finger.

I know he won’t admit to it but I saw Mojo bite himself several times just tasting tomatoes he may very well have bitten someone else. I hope they had their shots.

I did talk to a couple that just showed up because they were looking for tomato events around and found this one and came to it.
I thought that was fantastic. They were really nice people from Houston.

Thank you snappybob and suze It was a fine thing you and the rest did.
And thanks to all for bringing food.

Worth
Old June 21, 2011   #17
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Bite force rankings:

4) T. Rex
3) African lion
2) Spotted Hyena
1) Mojo into a tomato.

True story. Worth was lucky not to be within range when it happened....
Old June 21, 2011   #18
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default SETTFest

I had a great time at the event! It was great to see everyone again and then to meet Worth and Mike in person. Just as I pictured :-). Worth I figured you for a more shy kinda person in person. Mojo I am glad I did not get bitten or knifed by you. I am an expert at getting away from people trying to bite or knife me though so it might have been my experience. Now, on the other hand, nobody had a microwave trying to attack me with it.
I found that I liked Atkinson the best still. I really enjoyed hege german pink (sp).
Suze and Bob did a great job getting it all together. It was a nice few hours with people who have tomatoes in common :-)
Kat
Old June 21, 2011   #19
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Well, it looks as if SETTFEST is experiencing exponential growth (the BEST kind IMHO). I was blown away 2 years when I went. So sorry I missed it this year. I've got my own theory about the importance of these events: What transpires at the event isn't nearly as important as what happens afterwards. The exchange of information that I witnessed 2 years ago is priceless. I never would have thought to consider 'Atkinson' if I hadn't been in 2009 and met Kat & her husband. Getting a tip from a fellow fanatic is "priceless" in my book.
Old June 22, 2011   #20
Bariolio
Tomatovillian™

This was my first year at SETTFest, thanks to a Dave's Garden friend who rounded up a Houston area crowd. I was not sure what to expect. It was wonderful! Trying all the great tomatoes and then getting to take some seeds home was very special. Now that I know what it's all about, I'll bring food AND tomatoes next year! Thanks everyone for putting on a fabulous event! Janet
Old June 22, 2011   #21
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Door Prize Photos

Everyone who made a donation to help us cover costs of hosting the event received a ticket for the drawing.

Snappybob did a superlative job with the prizes raffle, and although there wasn't an actual soapbox available to stand on, he made do just fine with a stepstool.

The two Grand Prize winners were Eva M who scored the Medina Liquid Seaweed - and Dave, who seemed to be just thrilled with his bottle of Alaska Fish Emulsion - good show, Dave. ROFL!

Recipients of the five Wegman's tomato bags that snappybob sourced from Remy were Burt M, John P, Jim M, Linda Y, and mystery lady in straw hat (please let us know who you are if you happen to be reading this!)

Thanks for doing this Bobby - it was very nice and folks definitely enjoyed it!
Old June 24, 2011   #22
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Janet, welcome to Tomatoville. Glad you and the other Houston DG folks were able to attend the event!
Old April 25, 2014   #23
Pamscott
Tomatovillian™

When and where will setfest be held 2014?
Would like directions and info on it thanks Pam
Old April 27, 2014   #24
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamscott View Post
When and where will setfest be held 2014?
Would like directions and info on it thanks Pam
Nobody has volunteered to run the event this year (or the past 2 years). I guess everyone is too busy these days.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old May 27, 2014   #25
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

[Look, the white whale!]

I have a bit of info on a similar gathering for Houston folks. Bonus: it came to by way of Roy and Shelly Johnson :-D

The Westbury Community Garden will be hosting its first Annual Tomato Tasting Party on Saturday June 7. It is limited to 60 participants ($5 dontation to the WCG) and an RSVP is required. Please RSVP on the website www.westburycommunitygarden.org (go to the Event list on the right side of the Home page, then enter your info under Bookings.) or email Debbie Gordon directly at debbie@digiroo.com by June 6.

Tags
settfest , settfest.com , texas tomato tasting