Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old May 9, 2010   #16
tuttamatta
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the info Worth.
Anybody from there that could give me any insight on where to stay the night before?
Or on something to see between Tool and Washington on the Brazos?
And then, should we bring seeds to trade?
They won't be 2010 since we don't have anything ripe at that time, but we could bring seeds from 2009 grow-outs.
I'm getting excited about this (it's a known fact that it does not take much to make me happy...) so I really hope that we can do it.
Paola
Old May 9, 2010   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks like they have a Best Western and Comfort Inn, in town as for seeds to bring, it's not required, you only have to bring your selves.
As for sites to see I have no clue as I take this place for granted most of the time.
nice scenery along the trip though.
Most folks dont know how beautiful my state is, they think it is all desert and it isn't.

Worth
Old May 10, 2010   #18
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

We made a weekend out of it one time and we stayed in Navasota. It was just a short drive to the park from the motel.
Old May 24, 2010   #19
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

So we're just under a month out, and I'm wondering how it's shaping up for the rest of you? I'm trying to gauge what's going to be around by then, considering the next two weeks are going to be hot and dry. Production is definitely slowing down at my place. Golden Gem will probably continue for quite a while. I doubt I will have any Cherokee Purples in production, they're coming a-cropper right now. The Black Krims and ATKINSONs will likely give me a few to bring. I'm not at all sure about the Tony's Italian and the Black from Tula. Persimmons and Jetsonics are questionable: some are still fruiting, others haven't so much as set one fruit. I remain optimistic.
Old May 24, 2010   #20
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

I've got lots of green tomatoes. As long as nothing bad happens I should be OK.
Old June 13, 2010   #21
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

Leaving on our drive to Texas tomorrow! I'm so excited about seeing my daughter and driving to SETTFest. See you all then.

We'll be staying in Navasota at the Best Western if anyone else is staying there the night before. I think there is a Walmart there, so let me know if you want me to bring anything....paper cups, napkins, chips, etc.
Old June 13, 2010   #22
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

The directions on the park's website, driving from San Antonio:

From San Antonio: Go I-10 East to Highway 77 North, then take 290 East to Brenham. From Brenham, take Highway 105 East 14 miles and turn right on FM 912 to Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historic Site.

Does this sound like the best route?
Old June 13, 2010   #23
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Linda, Bring anything you would like to drink. I believe alcohol is prohibited in the park. Sometimes people will elect to bring a side dish of some sort that would go well with tasting tomatoes but it's purely voluntary. Being on the road and staying at motels may make that difficult. If you would like to pick something up feel free to do so.

MDVPC- We also have directions on our flyers. They are a little different than those on the park website but both should work. They just put you coming in at different park entrances. If you print out our flier print out the PDF version rather than the JPEG. For some reason, when I tried to print out the JPEG it did not print the direction part of the page.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Old June 13, 2010   #24
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Snappy: Thanks. I will look at the flier. What is the travel time from San Antonio to the Park if you know? I will be coming either from 1604 and I-10 or 410 and Babcock, depending if we pick up folks or not.
Old June 13, 2010   #25
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

A survey of the bed this afternoon is not promising: the stink bugs have finally moved in, and I'm getting squirrel damage at long last. However, I have a pretty decent number of Atkinsons, Krims and CPs to allow for a good sampling. A few Jetsonics and Tony's will probably also come, and the ubiquitous Golden Gems (thanks Suze!).

Now if it had been THIS weekend.... Oh well.
Old June 14, 2010   #26
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

MDVPC I'm not great at remembering those kind of thing with much accuracy. I found this website.
http://www.travelmath.com/drive-time...an+Antonio,+TX

It shows about 3 hours form SA to Brenham at 156 miles. I would say give yourself as much extra time as is practical.
Old June 14, 2010   #27
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Snappy: Thats about what mapquest says for the travel time. Thanks for your help.