Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old January 27, 2012   #1
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

Default Crow Garlic, Anyone?

As promised on the "strange onion flower head " thread, where somebody else mentioned Allium vineale, I'm a-gonna talk about it now.

My mother grew Crow Garlic. She called it "wild garlic," later specifying "it's really a wild onion." I've been doing a lot of research into this species because I still remember with utmost fondness the delicious, strong-flavored garlic bread Mom used to make with it.

Allium vineale is the bad boy of the Allium world. Allium vineale, like Rodney Dangerfield, don't get no respect. Except from a few people like me whose families have made good use of it.

Over on Dave's Garden, A. vineale gets 2 positive, 2 neutral, 4 negative votes. Some people say it's invasive, and I'm sure that under some conditions it can be. It's not native to the Americas, but after being introduced from Eurasia to North America and Australia, it's become fairly well established on both continents.

It never became invasive at my family's house. We were too busy making garlic bread from our few specimens to let them spread very far. And that was Indiana, with a fair amount of rainfall. It would be difficult for it to become invasive in New Mexico, especially if I grow it in a pot to begin with, which will probably be the case.

Others say it tastes too strong, has an unpleasant aftertaste, etc. I find myself wondering if any who say such things ever bothered to actually cook it. I don't like the flavor of uncooked regular garlic, either, or raw onions for that matter. Generally speaking, only when alliums are subjected to heat does the flavor mellow enough to suit my tastes.

Others say don't let your cows eat it because it will ruin the milk; I don't plan to own any milk cows in the foreseeable future.

Lastly, Allium vineale has been accused of poisoning dogs! Always by somebody who never bothers to provide a documented source for the accusation.

I think this species may have some really interesting potential if managed properly. But for the moment, I have no idea how to find any. A few topsets would be enough to get me started. Anybody have any?

Note: the easiest way to distinguish Allium vineale from the sometimes very similar-looking native Allium canadense is by the fibrous covering of the underground bulb that A. canadense has, and A. vineale doesn't:

http://www.missouriplants.com/Blueal...eale_page.html

http://www.missouriplants.com/Pinkal...ense_page.html

...Sooo... once again... Anybody know where I can get me some Crow Garlic?
Petronius_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2012   #2
peppero
Tomatovillian™

i do not know what variety of wild onion/garlic we have here in sw tenn but i can say that i am very fond of it. it is great for flavoring. i dig up it up and put it in my garden and enjoy the fruits of my labor. jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2012   #3
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I have been collecting various wild onion and garlic type stuff for the last year and have got quite a few now waiting to sow, I have bought from several countries and will check my sources and names given and get back to you, off the top of my head I simply don't remember what I have and as the names cross over it is a complicated subject.

Hang tough..

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2012   #4
Goldie
Tomatovillian™

Petronius, did you find a source for wild garlic? I have it all over my yard, I can't seem to get rid of it.
Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2012   #5
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

Well, Jeannine and Peppero don't seem to be too sure what species they have, so if yours match the www.missouriplants.com photos for A. vineale, and don't match their photos for A. canadense, i.e. no fibrous covering on the underground bulb, just a thin-skinned wrapper much like regular garlic, with maybe some new corms shooting off from the side (there I go with my genetic long-windedness again,)-- then yes, I definitely want some. Can I send you a PM with address and a few more details?
Old February 6, 2012   #6
Goldie
Tomatovillian™

Petronius, the stuff in my yard looks like the pictures you posted, and some people do eat it. pm me with your address and I will let you know when it blooms. It is impossible to get rid of, are you sure you want this invasive stuff?
Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2012   #7
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

What I have is not what you are looking for..just checked my stuff..sorry and good luck.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2012   #8
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Someone in Texas sent me a "wild onion" several years back, but it most closely matches the description of A. canadense. It gets a pretty combination of dark red bulbils & flowers at the same time; it looks like fireworks in bloom!. I was hoping to dig one up & look at the bulb to confirm it... but just had my well worked on, and they were right in the middle of the excavation. It remains to be seen if any of them survived. I'll have to dig around to see if I have any photos, but I think they were on my cell phone - which died.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2012   #9
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

A. canadense is a North American native, not considered invasive in most states (though it certainly can be) because it was already there before Europeans set foot on the continent, and easy to find seed for if you want it. Unless maybe you're in Arkansas or Hawaii?

A. vineale is, as I wrote, the Rodney Dangerfield of Alliums. Not so easy to find. Admitting you want to want to grow Allium vineale, that you actually like the idea, is a wee bit like admitting you married a crack addict, and knew it before you went to the altar.

Last edited by Petronius_II; February 7, 2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old February 7, 2012   #10
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Petronius II,

I've had "Wild Garlic" growing on my back lot for decades. I've never eaten it because when I asked about it as a kid, I was told you could eat it, but it wasn't good because the flavor was too strong.

I use minced garlic in a Po Man dish I make with potatoes, rutabaga, carrots, and onions, so I'll try substituting the A. vineale in it tonight and let you know how it tastes.

If you want a start, it would probably ship fine in a bubble mailer with the tops clipped and the roots wrapped in a damp paper towel and stuck in a plastic sandich bag.

If you're interested, PM your address. Claud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wild garlic 002.jpg (156.2 KB, 24 views)
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2012   #11
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

Sending you a PM.

When you cook with it, I suggest using it sparingly at first. It is indeed fairly potent, and IIRC has a certain distinctive flavor all its own.

I happen to be among those who call that flavor "delicious."

It's probably also pertinent to remember that heat mellows and sweetens the flavors of all alliums, basically changing the flavor altogether; so with this one in particular, undercooking should perhaps be avoided.
Old February 7, 2012   #12
dott22
Tomatovillian™

When I lived near Nashville for a few years, we had wild garlic in the yard. It does grow very well all over. One of the reasons it's difficult to get rid of is the little side bulbils that come off of the main bulb. When you pull it, you have to do a good job of seeking out all of the little buggers left in the soil.

I tried picking some out of the yard and cooking with it. I thought it tasted pretty well, but I chickened out from eating too much. I didn't feel confident identifying something from the yard and eating it, hehe. Besides, I had plenty of garlic coming in from the garden at the time...

Last edited by dott22; February 7, 2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: typo
dott22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2012   #13
zorro777
Tomatovillian™

Why is a wild onion/head the answer to the question "Grow Garlic?"
zorro777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2012   #14
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

Begause it seemed a cood idea at the time?
Old February 8, 2012   #15
dott22
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro777 View Post
Why is a wild onion/head the answer to the question "Grow Garlic?"
Did you missread the original title: "C"row Garlic, with a 'c' instead of a 'g'?
dott22 is offline   Reply With Quote