Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 3, 2014   #16
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Even though Carolyn, you recorded data for decades, it's still anecdotal. Trained as a scientist, the info is useful, but not significant unless a proper study is done. it sounds like you had a proper study one year. But that doesn't tell us much. I would love to see the published results. I count on published results for info. I recently was looking into planting media and read a large number of studies.
I know that resistance to septoria has been identified, but have not pursued what genes and which plant lines. Potatoes can get it, so the leaf type doesn't seem to protect them.
Maybe those with tomato leaves have a better resistance? That was a joke!
I would have to say I don't see how leaf type matters, but it could, or could not. Not without examining published studies would I make any conclusions. I looked at info Dr Zitter has posted, no mention of leaf type.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2014   #17
snugglekitten
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Even though Carolyn, you recorded data for decades, it's still anecdotal. Trained as a scientist, the info is useful, but not significant unless a proper study is done. it sounds like you had a proper study one year. But that doesn't tell us much. I would love to see the published results. I count on published results for info. I recently was looking into planting media and read a large number of studies.
I know that resistance to septoria has been identified, but have not pursued what genes and which plant lines. Potatoes can get it, so the leaf type doesn't seem to protect them.
Maybe those with tomato leaves have a better resistance? That was a joke!
I would have to say I don't see how leaf type matters, but it could, or could not. Not without examining published studies would I make any conclusions. I looked at info Dr Zitter has posted, no mention of leaf type.

"Potato Leaf" in tomatoes does not mean that the leaves come from the actual potato genome.

It is only a metaphor to describe leaves that look similar to a potato's.

There is no correlation between potatoes getting foliar diseases and a "potato leaf" tomato getting said diseases.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2014   #18
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglekitten View Post
"Potato Leaf" in tomatoes does not mean that the leaves come from the actual potato genome.

It is only a metaphor to describe leaves that look similar to a potato's.

There is no correlation between potatoes getting foliar diseases and a "potato leaf" tomato getting said diseases.
It was a joke! The reason the leaves look similar is they are very closely related. All nightshade members show similarities, as they are all the same family. Much like how almonds can pollinate peaches. Obviously even more closely related. Although tomatoes and potatoes can be grafted together. So a fairly close tie.

So I would disagree, it's not only a metaphor, it's because they are cousins. It probably is the same gene.

http://www.thisgardenisillegal.com/2...to-potato.html

Last edited by drew51; September 3, 2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old September 3, 2014   #19
snugglekitten
BANNED

Ya, I wouldn't discount the idea that it comes from the same gene, let us know if you find out anything interesting on this topic.
Old September 3, 2014   #20
drew51
Tomatovillian™

What I hate about doing research is that the text is so dry, and the search engines on the study sites are not all that good. Probably everything we are asking is known, finding it is just as hard. I need a research assistant!
Right now my harvest of everything is so huge it's requiring all my free time. I guess that is a good thing, but everything is the house is breaking and I'm expected to fix it. Life keeps getting in the way of gardening!
Old September 4, 2014   #21
snugglekitten
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
What I hate about doing research is that the text is so dry, and the search engines on the study sites are not all that good. Probably everything we are asking is known, finding it is just as hard. I need a research assistant!
Right now my harvest of everything is so huge it's requiring all my free time. I guess that is a good thing, but everything is the house is breaking and I'm expected to fix it. Life keeps getting in the way of gardening!
The scientific method reveals a lot, just not as fast as we may desire.

If anyone has any hard data on PL vs RL than share, please!

Tags
pl potato leaf