Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 29, 2014   #61
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi,

Since I linked to this thread in a post to Chastom's General Discussion thread re: curly top virus, I thought it would be a good time to update some of the photos posted here two weeks ago.

First photo is a group shot with the Cuostralee to the left, the little Crnkovich Yugoslavian (that was a "bit of green" on a sick plant that is now about 5" or 6" tall), and the Berkeley Tie Dye Heart on the right. I think all three will probably do OK, but I've got seedlings to plant out of all 3 as back-ups (or comparisons). BTW, in the background, next to the Crnkovich Yugoslavian are a Gianinni and a Mikado Pink.

Next photo is the BTDH, followed by a photo of the Cuostralee.

Finally a photo of the two Goose Creeks. In the background you can see a little affected 1884 that I'll probably end up pulling in a day or two.

The photos were taken in the heat of the day, so the plants are a bit wilted from that. And, FWIW, I just pruned the plants a bit yesterday.

I've got another bed planted with mainly oxhearts that are looking pretty sad right now. I sprayed with sulphur not too long ago but I'm still seeing some russet mites here and there. Very frustrating! Haven't seen any leaf hoppers, but have seen a few aphids and thrips. Guess I need to be more diligent with insect control!

Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cuo, crnk, btdh 4-28-14.jpg (229.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg BTDH2 4-28-14.jpg (224.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg cuostralee 4-28-14.JPG (362.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg goose creeks 4-28=14.JPG (267.0 KB, 56 views)
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #62
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Anne,

Thanks for the update, good to see the plants looking a little happier

Mites don't like water so you could try a daily spraying of water on a couple of infested plants (as an experiment). Try to spray water under the leaves, especially the bottom leaves, when you spray them.

I would alternate the sulfur spray with a different miticide. Email me if you need a recommendation.

Please keep us posted!
Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #63
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Anne your plants made a serious comeback! Congrats. It's been so hot hot hot here.. Good thing temps will drop back to happy tomato temps in a few days or so.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote