Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 4, 2008   #16
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

The baby lettuces and cabbage have been moved out to the garden. Radishes are up. Just sowed beets and spinach this past weekend. Snow peas are coming up. I got an email that some of my potatoes were shipped out yesterday. It'll just be radishes but I'm excited to be able to start eating something out of the 2008 garden in just three weeks! Oak Leaf lettuce shouldn't be too far behind the radishes.
Old March 5, 2008   #17
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Wonderful Shelley! Wish I could come walk through your garden. We had a wonderful weekend of sunshine and warmth, and this morning it is 25 degrees and snowy. But, it will not be long. Usually, I am planting in the raised beds by the third week of March.

Right now, I have 5 flats of slicing onions growing under lights since Christmas, and I have 5 flats of head lettuce of various types: Summertime, Valmaine, and some pretty red ones that I don't remember their names!

I'll be starting my market tomatoes, eggplants and peppers this week... about 1,000 total. It is a BUSY time, but the promise of Spring is so energizing!

Take care,
Lisa
Old March 5, 2008   #18
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Lisa, I wish I had room for all that! My family already thinks I'm a nut because we have to have Easter dinner in a dining room that's filled with grow lights and little plants. Have a great season!
Old March 6, 2008   #19
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

I usually start planting my beans the first week of March, but we keep having stretches of cool weather. If it would stay warm for three days in a row, I could get them planted! I'm extremely eager for fresh snap beans.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2008   #20
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday was warm enough to tempt me as well. I think Sunday is looking very good to plant beans and maybe Wednesday for the tomatoes. Very exciting!!!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2008   #21
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I would have liked to have my beans planted already but decided at the last minute to grow Dragon's Tongue and now Im waiting on the seeds. Probably plant them this weekend.

Just as finished entering my reply, the mailman came with my seeds! So, Sunday it is
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2008   #22
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Yay!! Who'd you order from?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2008   #23
duajones
Tomatovillian™

SSE, first time to purchase anything from them. Ordered 100 seeds. The beans are going in a 4x8 raised bed and the plan is to plant seeds in one half, then a couple weeks later, plant in the other half. Cant wait to taste this variety
Old March 6, 2008   #24
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

I'm planting Dragon Tongue this year for the first time, too. The other bush beans I'm planting are Jumbo and Gold Mine. Those were my favorites last year.
Old March 8, 2008   #25
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

You TX folks are KILLING ME! Sometimes this ol' Mississippi gal misses the south. We are having an official Blizzard this weekend. We have 10 inches of snow and 40 mph winds. I'd like to hope that this is the last blast of the Winter, but I know better!

Lisa
Old March 9, 2008   #26
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

I am planting onions, peas and potatoes in a couple of weeks. Today I sowed several varieties of cabbage, lettuce, and collards in 2 liter bottles outside so I'll see how they do. It's still cold and blustery here
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2008   #27
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Planted cucumbers a couple weeks ago, Dragons Tongue beans yesterday, and Straightneck squash today.
Old March 10, 2008   #28
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I seeded some broccoli indoors using my usual setup (3 oz. cups, homemade seed starter, incubator with temp control and fan). I seeded 8 seeds of Arcadia broccoli in one of these cups on Saturday night. Tonight four out of the eight are up. 48 hours! I love it! Goooo, broccoli!

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2008   #29
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

I was finally able to start planting beans yesterday. First plantings of Dragon Tongue, Gold Mine, Jumbo, Fortex, and Rattlesnake are in. Yay!
Old March 14, 2008   #30
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Added Neon lights chard to the mix yesterday.