Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 28, 2014   #16
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

ok the next step is done, i spawned two of the above quarts to some shredded oak and pecan leaves and hay in myco bags. i'll get some pics tonight or tomorrow but it will be a couple days before they get interesting!

i also have three quarts of HK oyster grain i just shook yesterday, should be about a week til i spawn those
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2014   #17
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

these are in myco bags, which has a filter for gas exchange so you can keep the bag closed while they grow, once they have taken over the substrate contamination isn't as big of an issue. i took these pics this morning, it's kind of hard to see much but the grain has recovered and should have this eaten in a week or so, possibly just a couple more weeks until we can eat some of these

Old May 1, 2014   #18
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

here's todays pics with a half quart of the HK grain spawn

Old May 4, 2014   #19
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

very cool! When it comes to growing mycelium in grain which grains work the best?
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014   #20
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

rye berries(not rye grass seed, though it is used to fruit some species) are usually the number one choice but regular birdseed works just as well. you can also use sorghum, milo, millet and probably others. birdseed usually has milo and millet in it. finch blend is a good mix. when picking birdseed go with one that doesn't have much or any corn in it. pennington basic is my favorite
Old May 15, 2014   #21
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Default PINS!!!

ok so i started this on agar April 1st, so about six weeks from start to pin. these started a couple days ago it looks like but i just noticed them yesterday. i'm gonna be fruiting these in open air in the kitchen with no humidity control so i don't know how they will mature but i'll know within a week the caps appear to be brown so i may not have the azul which should be blue but it could have something to do with temps or maybe they just start out brown.

this is the other side of that bag i think, or may be the second bag

sorry for the blurry pics i was in a hurry

Old May 15, 2014   #22
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Sweet!! I am going to work on your oyster samples.. please forgive me if i screw up
Old May 15, 2014   #23
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

you'll do fine with em lol once you do it a couple times its second nature. i can't wait to eat some of these, and some i'll slurry up for something outdoors!

i've got to get some molasses so i can try out that method epsilon posted for the cardboard pile outside
Old May 16, 2014   #24
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Default 5/16 24 hrs. Later

EDIT: this is the point in the growth cycle where you don't think they will amount to anything

this mornings pics, eager to see how these end up grown in open air, i'm misting them a little every now and then

it was chilly and humid last night so the lens was foggy again

this is the other bag, it grew a lot yesterday

last night i sterilized two more myco bags. i used five large pizza hut boxes and 8 tbs of coffee grounds to fill them with and i'll spawn them today with the quart of HK grain that survived. i want to see how many mushrooms i can make out of five pizza boxes. before long we'll be getting all the throw away boxes from the pizza hut where my wife works and growing oysters on them in a spare room at my partners house and in the woods to dispose of all their cardboard waste

Last edited by RootLoops; May 17, 2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old May 17, 2014   #25
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

took these pics a few mins ago, there are several in here that should be good for cloning these have just been sitting out in the open air with no special environment or anything but a small spritz from a water bottle once or twice a day. just a few weeks ago this was just a pile of hay and leaves in the yard and by tomorrow it'll be human food!

Last edited by RootLoops; May 17, 2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old May 18, 2014   #26
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Oh Yummm Delicious! Those flushes are amazing! What is your fruiting temps?
Old May 18, 2014   #27
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

thanks! i love the way these turned out, i picked em a few mins ago and got 12 ozs total from the two for the first flush, now i just need some coconut oil to fry em in!

the temps are probably sixties at night and seventies in the day time, these fruited just fine with no humidity chamber or fans etc. just out in the kitchen
Old May 18, 2014   #28
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Looking good. I'm trying to grow shiitakes on coffee grounds. Doesn't seem to be working as well as your oysters.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014   #29
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

shiitake needs hardwood like oak to grow on, most mushrooms aren't as versatile as oysters. hardwood fuel pellets are an excellent source of wood for shiitake
Old May 18, 2014   #30
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

There is a method on shroomery for growing shiitakes on straw that I want to try.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote