Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 21, 2008   #46
Deer Park
Tomatovillian™

You all make great points for joining and enjoying being a member of Seed Savers Exchange and ordering out of the yearbook where we listed members don't charge for shipping or handling.

Michael
Deer Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2008   #47
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Park View Post
You all make great points for joining and enjoying being a member of Seed Savers Exchange and ordering out of the yearbook where we listed members don't charge for shipping or handling.

Michael
True enough, but I still think the pack price for seeds thru the YEarbook is too high. It's true that we listed members were asked to vote on three options a few years ago and I didn't vote for the option that led to the seed increase price.

So if you look at my blurb in the front of the book you'll see that I reduced the asking price to $2/pack for US and Canadian members and reduced it to $3 for all other countries.

My feeling is that I'm not a professional as regards seed saving and bagging blossoms, and in the past have relied only on geographic isolation.

The past couple of years bcday has done seed production for my new ones and I mention that in my blurb, just as I mention with the others that I do not assume that all seeds for a variety are pure, altho I have a good track record on that account.

Even when I was listing hundreds of varieties I never saw those listings as a way to make money, and didn't make money what with all the coin envelopes and business envelopes and stamps that I had to buy.

I just enjoyed the opportunity to be able to share seeds with others.

I can see how the option that raised prices was important for those sending out larger seeds, such as corns and beans, that need batter packing than tomato seeds do, as well as the potato tuber folks. But for the smaller seeds such as tomatoes and peppers I personally didn't think the raise was justified so I posted my own price schedule.
Old January 21, 2008   #48
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

fusion power - you will not have long to wait for a one site shopping. It is the direction we are going. He has the website (egardeners.com) it is currently used for just catalog requests. But the future vision here is one site with everything we have in all 9 catalogs available there.
jungseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2008   #49
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I think someone forgot to buy egardeners.com. It's currently held by a domain squatter.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2008   #50
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

No, it's my fault - can't type and think at the same time? it's egardenersplace.com
You'd think I would know the address, I do the downloads! But, I find that things you see and use everyday are not the ones you look closely at.
Old January 28, 2008   #51
Big_Red
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
There is something I've wanted to buy out of the Burpee catalog for the past couple of years, but it was priced too high for my taste.
I know how that is! I used to buy most of my seeds from Burpee's years ago but their prices just got out of hand. I stoped ordering from their catalog and started buying their seeds off the seed racks in Lowes and Wal-Mart. Most are slightly over a buck and NO shipping!

Has anyone tried ordering from seedlover.com? They advertise free shipping on all orders and their prices seem very reasonable. I'm thinking of giving them an order to see how they do.

Red
Big_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2008   #52
Big_Red
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Ooops! Just checked them out and free shipping is only on "selected items throughout the catalog."

Sorry 'bout that! ☺

Red
Big_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2008   #53
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
So they sent it Parcel Post. Postage was somewhere around $11,000.
This is thanks to a program in Alaska called 'bypass mail' wherein shipments to communities off the road system can be delivered directly to a cargo carrier, bypassing the Post Office, and are delivered via air at the Parcel Post rate. As I understand it, this program is (or was) heavily subsidized. I know there was a change to the program a few years back, so I don't know how it works now, or if it still exists.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2008   #54
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

This thread seems to have veered off in other directions, but I thought I'd post my Jung experience here anyway...

I placed a few orders with them this year. I've had terrible experiences ordering bareroot and live plants from other vendors in the past and I'd sworn I'd never do it again. But when I saw the prices of blueberries and grapes on Jung's website, I couldn't resist. I figured I wouldn't be out much money if they arrived in poor shape. It turns out - I had nothing to worry about. The plants were in wonderful shape!

Since the first order went so well, I looked to Jung when I decided to order sweet potatoes. The sweet potato order was a last minute decision and it was kind of late in the game to be ordering them, but Jung still had some available and they were in great shape when they arrived.

I've been very pleased with my experience with this company and will definitely be ordering from them again.
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2008   #55
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
I'd still rather see the price in the cost of the seed packet, and not in the shipping charges.

Charge what you need to to make a profit, but don't mark up postage so much that you price yourself out of the market. I think that is all anyone can ask. If someone has a particular seed I want, I'll pay whatever they're asking for the seeds, but don't rip my lips off in "shipping charges."
my sentiments exactly business expenses are business expenses...period and please run your business to prosper , but don't play the shipping cost game with me. boxes and tape and time and handeling to get the plants packed and fuel costs are all(possibly deductable) business expenses and should be reflected in your product price.

Don't think people don't know what it costs to >ship< an item.and the vendor does not decide the shipping cost anyway, the carrier does... the internet made alot of these businesses essentially brought the world to their doorstep. now the customer is thanked in return with this insulting shipping cost game .. charge what ever you need to prosper but don't play shifty with the actuall shipping fee.

sooner or later,it will eventually backfire thats a given
money is getting too tight these days and the customer is becoming much more thrifty. loosing the small purchase is not a good practice.

hope this is not taken in an insulting way just some hard advice
Aphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2008   #56
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

As this is where we got into the "shipping charge" discussion, thought I'd post this here.
You were heard about the shipping charges. The changes may not be everything you were asking for, but it's a start.
The new website (egardenersplace) was created and is now up and running (with the 2008 catalogs until the 2009 ones come out). You can order, mix and match from almost all of our catalogs and only pay one shipping charge now. I didn't put a link here, but I think you can find it from that info if and when you want.
Old October 29, 2008   #57
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I just received 8 bags of Tomato-tone from www.totallytomato.com and shipping for the entire lot was $5.95. Imagine that - - 40 pounds of product shipped to me for only $5.95. Outstanding deal, so if you then want to add some seed packets, they are essentially free of shipping. I LOVE this Company!!!

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2008   #58
Woodchuck
Tomatovillian™

An ounce is an ounce, a pound is a pound.
I refuse to order from anyone who's obviously attempting to gouge on shipping.
If your (whomever's) seeds are worth a special fee....selection.....care in isolation....special care in packaging...a number of different quality issues...let me know...I'm more than willing to pay for quality.

It's a matter of character, principle and honesty.

I'm totally insulted by crazy shipping fees.

This is why eBay is becoming such a disaster.
Gouging on shipping.

First class postage of no more than a couple bucks can still ship a lota seeds.

~Woodchuck

Last edited by Woodchuck; October 29, 2008 at 11:35 PM. Reason: typo
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2008   #59
Woodchuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
I just received 8 bags of Tomato-tone from www.totallytomato.com and shipping for the entire lot was $5.95. Imagine that - - 40 pounds of product shipped to me for only $5.95. Outstanding deal, so if you then want to add some seed packets, they are essentially free of shipping. I LOVE this Company!!!

Ray
My point exactly.
That is a good and honest deal.

~Woodchuck
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2008   #60
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

woodchuck,

I just ordered 6 items today from (guess who?) Jung's Seeds. I was charged $4.95 for handling and shipping. The way I look at it, someone has to go pull my 6 items from the stockroom, print up a shipping label plus an invoice, process my credit card payment, package up the items in a box, call UPS to pick up the package, email me with shipping / tracking information, incur an obligation if the shipment gets lost to replace it for me, and oh, by the way, actually pay UPS to deliver the items.

When you ask me if I would be willing to do all that for a $4.95 shipping and handling fee, "forget-about-it"!! I have no complaint about this charge as far as I am concerned.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote