Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 13, 2021   #31
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

I do live near "Ulm" southern Germany.
I don't know my climatic zone...
asmx91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2021   #32
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello again.
I guess it's the same climatic zone as mine in Ústí nad Labem, which is 6a. Most of Central Europe is like that. My garden is higher, so it's probably 5b. Anyway, our conditions are nicely comparable.
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2021   #33
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

OK, I had a look where you live...it is about 50km away from Dresden.
Almost the same climate as by me.
Old April 18, 2021   #34
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

Paulinchen (mini tomato)

Old April 19, 2021   #35
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello, Anneliese.
I have always thought that tomato is the most beautiful "flower" in the world. Great plant, great photo.
Just a few questions. When do you usually have your first ripe tomatoes in your greenhouse? Do you think this year will be different? Can your glasshouse be "emergency heated"?
Milan HP
Old April 19, 2021   #36
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Anneliese---I'm particularly interested in how your Karkiano variety does for you this season because I received some of that seed in "Carolyn's Last Seed Offer" and I'm getting ready to trans plant the small seedlings into 3-1/2" pots and start to harden them off. I've never grown any Spanish varieties before and I'm grateful to trial this one for the 2021 growing season.

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2021   #37
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

Usually I have my first ripe tomato end of June.(greenhoouse) but - I start with seeding 15th January!
Yes I can heat my greenhouses I do that with clay pots.

Old April 20, 2021   #38
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Anneliese,
thank you. But that heating is just to "keep off the frost". It doesn't do much for the development of the plants, does it?

Milan HP
Old April 20, 2021   #39
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Your greenhouse must be awfully small. I use a propane camp stove with a fan,it does great,my greenhouse is 12x48 and it only costs about 2 dollars a night to keep it from freezing, and usually by morning it's 50 to 60 degrees in there.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2021   #40
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

My second greenhouse is ready

I planted:
Black Russian, Thomas,Revilla, Giant Syrian, Whittemore, Early Anni, Rebel Starfighter Prime, Fritz Ackermann, Coer de Boef Eddi, Rebel Starfighter VT16, Pomodoro Gigante Farina, Gordo de la Vega de Aranjurez, Ananas Noire, Mamie Brown's Pink, Ceman, Depp's Pink Firefly, Scabitta, Cherokee green, Gordo de Torrex, Johanna, Dancing with Smurfs, Rosada de EL Jardin,Start s F1, Rosso Siciliano, Merrill Schultz, Delicious, Pomodoro oblungo verde, Basajaun, Kit's Find, Gold Medal (oder Beauty King), Ochsenherz Sweetheart, Matabajo, Dester, Corazón de toro de Alzoina, Salvadore el carnicon, Joe's Pink Oxheart, Curtis Cheek, De inverno naranja redonda, Julia Child, Almajane de Neta/RO, Pepe José, 3,6 Karkos, Riojana, Huova de toro de Cuevas Bajas, Rojo de Perales de Tasuno, Nonna, Gordo de Ronda,
Popa de Vaca, Pera del valle de Extreverna duro, Austin's red pear, Beam's Yellow Pear, Red Cherry

Paprika und Chili

Blue Christmas, Feher Kos, Nora, Szegedi 178, Italian's Amarillo, Piment d'Espelett, Pimiento Isla, Soroksari, Madjoy F4 aus Australien, Mundo/Indien, Maron, Pemento do Couto, Candy Cane F1, Pimiento de Infantes, Italian's Rosos, Pimiento de Arnoia, Cueno, Szegedi 80, Ferenc Tender, Donkey Ears
Old May 2, 2021   #41
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Anneliese,

that's a very impressive list. Have you squeezed all of them into your greenhouse? How many plants altogether?
My season in the garden will probably start next week. I have no greenhouse, which means I am fully dependent on the weather. I'll only have 48 tomato plants of 13 varieties and about 25 peppers of 7 varieties. 70% of my plants are late blight resistant - it's a must here if I want to have a decent harvest.
Milan HP
Old May 2, 2021   #42
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

Hello Milan,
this season I have planted not so many tomato plants. My both knees are ill.
In the long greenhouse I have planted about 50 plants, in the other 32.
Perhaps I plant on my next one (glas greenhouse) today. In that I make peppers, my eggplants and a few tomatoes.
Anneliese

Last edited by asmx91; May 2, 2021 at 03:07 AM.
Old May 11, 2021   #43
clara
Tomatovillian™

Just to make everybody green with envy, lol: asmx has sent me 2 parcels with tomato seedlings - guess how many? 28!! All nicely packed and arriving alive! In the next few days, I'll start transplanting them into my garden if the weather god permits. Till then, all are in larger cups/pots , some still in the livingroom, some in my small greenhouse which I only use for storing the plants.

asmx is an angel, isn't she?
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2021   #44
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Anneliese,
I've taken the risk of planting 22 seedlings out of app 50 out. The sunny weather heated the ground (with a little help from non-woven fabric) to "acceptable risk" levels. I provided each plant with "heating" by putting manure mixed with cut grass under them. Tough work. I'm worried about the spell of cold weather that is forecast to be coming. A long spell, for that matter. What a cold year!
Milan HP
Old May 13, 2021   #45
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Clara
I am so glad, that you help me this season. I am waiting for a "new" knee.

Milan
I think this hard work would be worth it. It is ok what you did!
This season I do NO plant in my garden, they are all in my greenhouses.
Anneliese