Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2017   #16
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
wow beautiful big hearts! I would be interested to know what ones you find to be the best for flavor
KarenO
Like many here on Tomatoville me like tomatoes in a heart shape. I've grown more than thirty of these big tomatoes, and I loved those ten which tasted the most. I think comparing the taste of tomatoes of different colors is problematic. And so I have this tomatoes rated as follows:
Black- I do not know and I did not grow another black "Heart". Brad's Black Heart tastes good to me.
Orange- Orange Russian 117 (for me one of the best) tastes me far more than Orange Strawberry, which does not even look like "Heart". If I found some other orange, I might have to replace it .
Pink- Mayo delight was my best tomato last year. Kosovo I cultivated three years ago, the plant was bad (I want it on a sauce). Ludmila´s Pink Heart- taste excedent for me. Fresa is not only "Heart", but it is also Spanish, and they are the tomatoes which I mainly grow.
Red- Anna Russian, Kukula´s Portuguese Heart, Alice. I have never compared them and I probably should have a problem that I might omit.
I do not want to grow more than sixteen "Hearts," so if there were some hearts in another color or two-color, I would have to limit some of them. So far I have found no interesting hearts in other colors.
Vladimír
PS.: Karen, I am watching your Karma project with interest
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

(So far I have found no interesting hearts in other colors.
Vladimír)

Vladimir,here are three that perhaps you don't know about and I can send you seeds for all three.

Reinhard's Green Heart
" Purple Heart
" Chocolate Heart

That's Reinhard Kraft from Germany who bred them and it took a long time to get them genetically stable,but he did so.

There's also Indian Stripe Heart, finally stabilized by Marina in Russia as well.

The 3 Reinhard ones are 2015 seeds and the Indian Stripe Heart (PL) seeds are 2016 seeds.

Your choice on what you want me to do,or not.

Carolyn
Old July 9, 2017   #18
imp
Tomatovillian™

I am also liking the hearts, most seem meaty yet juicy and no beefsteak butt problem, even on the really big ones.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #19
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

My dad loves big tomato flavor in his tomatoes, but mom (who doesn't eat raw tomatoes) wants him to only plant pastes. This year when I offered him my extra plants, he said yes to all the red ones, and she said only if they're good for Sauce.

He now has Russian 117 growing in his garden and it will hopefully please both of them. The last one I gave him that made them both happy is now a staple in his garden -- Opalka. It was also a variety I did not know about prior to joining here.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #20
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hearts are my favourites and I'm glad you like Mayo's delight it's one of my favs and Ludmillas pink heart is the mother of some of my best crosses.
I look forward to being able to send you some seed to try once they are stable.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017   #21
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
(So far I have found no interesting hearts in other colors.
Vladimír)

Vladimir,here are three that perhaps you don't know about and I can send you seeds for all three.

Reinhard's Green Heart
" Purple Heart
" Chocolate Heart

That's Reinhard Kraft from Germany who bred them and it took a long time to get them genetically stable,but he did so.

There's also Indian Stripe Heart, finally stabilized by Marina in Russia as well.

The 3 Reinhard ones are 2015 seeds and the Indian Stripe Heart (PL) seeds are 2016 seeds.

Your choice on what you want me to do,or not.

Carolyn
Carolyn thank you for the offer. I will be grateful for the seeds of each tomato variety which you send me.
Vladimír
Old July 11, 2017   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Carolyn thank you for the offer. I will be grateful for the seeds of each tomato variety which you send me.
Vladimír
For your other orange heart I suggest Orange Minsk Heart

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/O...b=General_Info

I don't think I have any current seeds around here,but someone might still have some if you ask in the Wanted Seed Subforum.

I found your address in my data book,but I must have been in a hurry and can't read my own writing. I also found the last envelope you sent to me with some Spanish varieties,but there was no address.

So I'll just give you my own e-mail address, even though I think you have it and ask you to give me your address again,

cmale@aol.com

Thanks so much,

Carolyn, who about 3 years ago made a list of which hearts she had grown and it came to about 250 at that time. Yes,she is a dedicated heart lover,but the others were mostly conventional colors of reds and pinks, and yes, a white one as well.Aha, I need to update that list with new ones from Andrey from last year as well as mattic. Whoops, forgot new ones from Marina in Russia,seeds out for seed production this summer, 2 red hearts,one dark yellow heart also.
Old July 11, 2017   #23
charline
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, I grow Orange minsk heart this year and I will send you fresh seeds, along with coeur de surpriz.
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #24
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

High temperatures and enormous drought caused that my tomatoes to ripen two weeks earlier than usual.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0928.jpg (314.0 KB, 480 views)
Old July 20, 2017   #25
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Wow those are beautiful!!!!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2017   #26
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This year I have a lot of beautiful tomatoes. Photos of some of them.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1033.JPG (159.3 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1239.JPG (99.7 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1297.JPG (100.6 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1346.JPG (103.5 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1437.JPG (103.8 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1439.JPG (99.2 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1446.JPG (104.2 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1454.JPG (107.9 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg Fresa.JPG (131.7 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1471.jpg (104.0 KB, 406 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; August 8, 2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old August 8, 2017   #27
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Those tomatoes are just lovely. Thank you for sharing your pictures with us.

Which are your best tasting this season?
Old August 9, 2017   #28
MdTNGrdner

They look beautiful, Vladimir - and so many hearts. Thanks for posting the pictures. It's great to see you're having a good season!

I am also curious about which you like best for flavor, production, hardiness, etc.
Old August 10, 2017   #29
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The most beautiful is Brad's Black Heart for me.
Perhaps I love the taste of pink hearts (Ludmilla´sPink Heart , Mayo´s delight),but I do not know for sure because I do not have the taste memory and I do not usually consume them at the same time. I also do not know how to taste tomato flavor by scoring (for example, 8 from 10).
I do not watch production because I always have so many tomatoes that I do not know what to do with them. Part I donate, the part ends in a sauce pot.
I have not had any problems yet with diseases. Only plants on the southwest edge of the bed were BER (Brad's Black Heart and Orange Russian 117), probably because they had insufficient watering. I will have to resolve this problem sometime next year
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; August 10, 2017 at 03:10 AM.
Old August 10, 2017   #30
MdTNGrdner

For me, flavor varies a bit from year to year. I am always eager to 'taste test' and do side by side comparisons between 2 or 4 varieties! There are several hearts on my future grow wish list, including LPH, MD, and Fresa so I appreciate the beautiful photos.

I don't measure production as far as lbs go (kg), however I preserve a lot so I'll take note of how prolific or bare a plant is. A poor producer will get a second try in a different spot but after that I move on. You have a great growing attitude 'there are plenty and that is enough' That's why I don't weigh them, because I want to keep a certain quiet idea about my garden. It's practical poetry - as God gives, I receive.

I hope your year continues well!

Last edited by MdTNGrdner; August 10, 2017 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Edited to add, I also love the pink flavors!