Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 23, 2013   #1
rflasck
Tomatovillian™

Default Rocks in my 'tainer

I'm a newbie. In the past, I've heard that 1) a layer of rocks at the bottom of containers is good for drainage and plant growth (my 18 gallon buckets do have drainage holes, however), and 2) ants and other critters do not like walking on white "dolostone." Should I put a 1 or 2 inch layer of white dolostone in the bottom of my containers to help drainage and repell insects? Will it screw up the ph of the planting mix at all?

Thanks,
Dick
rflasck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2013   #2
Virtex
Tomatovillian™

I watched a video last week with a Master Gardener who says they have done studies and rocks in the bottom may actually slow drainage. If you use a good potting mix you shouldn't need to use rocks.

- Virtex
Virtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2013   #3
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Dick,
Virtex is correct! No rocks. All they do is take up space. If whatever you are using for your mix has the right balance between water retention and drainage you are good to go. If it doesn't, the rocks at the bottom aren't going to help.
Can't answer the ant question with respect to dolostone. A sprinkling of spent coffee grounds works very well as ant repellent.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2013   #4
rflasck
Tomatovillian™

Default thanks

Many thanks! I'll leave the stones out and sprinkle the ground beneath the containers with old coffee grounds.

Dick
rflasck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ants , containers , rocks