Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 10, 2006   #31
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

PaPa Vic thanks for your reply and suggestions. I had decent results with some of my hybrids this year. Had I believe around 15 OP/heirlooms with poor results. Two of my five Cherokee Purples survived without getting disease and are doing good. The taste has steadily improved. The first one I may of picked a little early and was after we received some big rains and was tasteless. Picked five this morning and ate one in the garden. Very good. My best tasting so far was the first Brandy Boy I picked yesterday. I didn't transplant them till mid June and then with the heat they didn't set right off. They have impressed me. Along with Cherokee Purple and Caspian Pink will be back next year and possible Soldaki. They have really started setting on with the break in temperature. I have Super Sioux seeds for next year. May pick up Sioux also. Going to try a few an OP grower/producer here recommended. One of them is Adelia. So will try about 20 more OP's next year along with my hybrids. The Goliath's, Brandy Boy, Big Beef and Bonnies Original will all be back. This was my first year for Bonnies and by far the best and steadiest producer. The taste is ok and they are good for anything. Eating, salsa and canning.
I compiled my list of OP's from reading on the internet, Carolyn's book, some lists I saw of Craig's and suggestions I received from growers for this area. I will have several that is not on the internet much but were recommended is some cases by more than one. Also several of the members of this forum have graciously shared their seeds with me. So hopefully my results are better next year. Have several local growers wanting me to grow them some OP's to try and for that want something that is likely to suceed and still taste great. That is why I was seeking advice on what to grow. If they grow an OP and it fails they will be less likely to try again.
Yes I have had good results with questions to Burpee. I buy some seeds from them. I have bought most of my tomato seeds from Totally Tomatoes in the past. Had great service there. Also trying the local Kansas grower this year. Only place I found Adelia. And at least three of the other online vendors. If I have bad results will try a different vendor next year.
I really like Appalachian's site and the varieties they offer.
I like Sandhill Preservations varieties but want to order now and not after Jan. 1st. I might try to order before August next year.

Best of luck to you in your gardening and always appreciative of any advice. Thanks again. JD
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2006   #32
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatovator
I'm not sure on this but a guy I don't know tried it and only got 3 tomatoes, one good, one bad and one ugly.
Very clever!

I ordered plants of Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red from Laurel's and I never got them. I emailed them and they never responded, so I am going to try again. It's pretty annoying and I really wanted to try it!

Lisa
Old September 13, 2006   #33
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default rowdy red

hmmm Miss_Mudcat
I have have never ordered anything from Laurel but i have talked with her on the phome many a times and she always was very helpful, i hope she replies soon. I do know that it is a busy time for her with orders for other zones who are doing there fall planting.
best
sue
matermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2006   #34
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Laurel did reply and will be sending my plants in spring of '07 along with 2 free plants of my choice!

Lisa
Old September 17, 2006   #35
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default good to hear

oh i m so glad to hear that news . SHe is a nice lady isnt she
do you knwo which plants you want to get ?
i m going to order all my plants from her on 07 she has such a colliction it is hard to decide for me to kinwo which one to get
best
sue
Old September 17, 2006   #36
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Hi Sue,

No, in fact I thought how difficult it would be to select 2 plants because they have SO MANY to choose from, so I asked Laurel if she would pick the 2 freebies for me.

Lisa
Old September 17, 2006   #37
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default good to know

yes that would be hard to pick :wink:
best
sue