Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 7, 2006   #1
honu
Tomatovillian™

Default When to pick Soldacki?

My first Soldacki is starting to blush. I read it doesn't keep well on the vine, so wondering when is best to pick it. The photo in Carolyn's book shows a couple all pink fruit attached to the vine, and they don't look too badly cracked. Is this how the fruit should look before I pick it, or is it better to pick when a little green?
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2006   #2
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Picking Soldacki

Hi Ann,

Hope all is well.

I would leave Soldacki on the vine UNLESS you have heavy rain coming. Then I'd pick it.

Otherwise check it daily and if serious cracks appear in the shoulders pick it. It should still be okay after a few more days of ripening on the window sill even if it gets those cracks.

However, I wouldn't leave it on the vine till it was absolutely, totally, vine-ripened unless you have plenty ripening at once.

I found it cracks but that it's still good unlike some that crack and quickly spoil. I suppose it all has to do with rain and bugs once it cracks.

Hope I made some sense.

BTW: Your Hawaiian hot peppers were the first to germinate, now come the other HPs one by one. And you eggplants are now showing signs. Yippee. Thanks
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2006   #3
honu
Tomatovillian™

Hi Grub! Thanks for the tips! And thanks especially for letting me try this Soldacki, such a beautiful and healthy plant! Yikes, it's pouring rain tonight.... I'm afraid to look tomorrow morning. Oh well, at least it was nice and sunny this weekend for snorkeling among the magnificent honu and hihimanu. (http://www.hawaiisfishes.com/fish_of.../fom_01_04.htm)
Congratulations on starting the peppers and eggplants! Hope you have lots of fun growing and eating them!
Old September 7, 2006   #4
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Ahhhhhhh... Bewdiful

Lucky you! How bewdddddddifullllll. And spritual.

And lucky that fella hasn't got a sting in his tail like the smooth ray that got Steve Irwin, our new national hero, a great bloke.

On the Soldacki front, maybe if you have been having plenty of rain it won't be such a sudden change.

Best wishes, Grub
Old September 17, 2006   #5
honu
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Grub,
Here's the first pick, some serious cracks, but not as bad as I expected, still quite firm, debated whether to leave it one more day, but it started pouring rain, so picked it. Can't wait to taste it!
Old September 18, 2006   #6
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Looking good, Honu, like a very good example.
Time to tuck in