Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 13, 2018   #496
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Tryno, if you are using a cell phone, take your pic in landscape mode
with the 'home' button toward the right.
(toward the left it will be upside down...in portrait mode it will be sideways...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo help.jpg (374.5 KB, 117 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018   #497
LDiane

32X F2 X Wherokowhai

One quarter of the seedlings have Wherokowhai's potato leaves.
Old April 17, 2018   #498
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Al, and Oakley, I will practice and get it right I hope. I am running around trying to keep these MMFs and 200 outdoor seedlings happy and it was snowing like hell today here..............really! The nice #33X plant (the one you fixed the pic in Al) can't find it - now i remember - gave it to a neighbor I have a few others from Dan that are 2' tall and need to go outside but too cold for a month yet and all these seedlings to pot up soon - i guess i best slow 'em down, less light and heat - 5/20 is plant out date................

there are bunches more scattered all over the house............ i will be just fine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Both Seasons 2018 Fixed.jpg (372.1 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by tryno12; April 17, 2018 at 01:33 AM. Reason: goofed, still not right
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018   #499
LDiane

67 X F2 Leggy

about half are bright green, the rest are dark green on top and purple underneath. This is not a difference caused by nutrients or temperatures - they are all growing together.

I can't find a description of Leggy to see where the colour difference may be coming from.

Last edited by LDiane; April 17, 2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old April 18, 2018   #500
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

I don't know, maybe there's better explanation other than some are more cold tolerant than others?

I mean, that's what the purple under leaf is from the cold spring right?

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2018   #501
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

I find that my plants(Seedlings) in general are leggy if not enough light - either to far away from light, or not enough. Last week had same prob with outside seeds just planted(not Dan's micro's) and i increased light and put more dirt up higher on stem seedlings and decreased water and added more light -- ok now

$6.87 walmart clamp on silver dome light and $4 Led bulb 75 watt equivalent(only draws 12 watts) and leave on all night then get by sunny window if the #!%$#$ sun will come out I do use 2 or more at times - I am an no waste energy type and use only what is needed.

Careful not to over fertilize or over water - just adds to leggy, weak stem seedling problems......IMO

Those larger plants are Dan's Micro Multi Floral Trials ( They were planted 1/16/2018 and some have tomatoes, most have blossoms) for next winter - I will put them out as soon as weather is good and the ones that work I will start some more seed in July to grow inside next winter

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Light Setup Dwarfs etc..jpg (290.6 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by tryno12; April 18, 2018 at 12:40 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old April 18, 2018   #502
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Tryno, LDiane is mentioning her breeding line "Leggy". She's not saying her seedlings are leggy!

67X - (RR X RQ mf F6) X Leggy F5
Old April 18, 2018   #503
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

sometimes i wonder about myself!!

BTW Al, did you notice/observe anything in my post there that did not make sence to you? Just want to make sure I am somewhere on the correct path..........
Pete
Old April 18, 2018   #504
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Tryno, I think your on the right path, I wouldn't worry about over watering making them too leggy. Over watering will give them disease and make them yellow and drop foliage or dampen them off though. But you don't want to cut too far back on water to the point that they dry up either.

I think a lot of people will tell you that the lack of light and too high of a temperature in the environment (such as 70 and above) will make them want to grow leggy. Basically, the plants will get leggy trying to find more light and having a warmer temperature inspires growth but not foliage growth.

Looking at your photo, I don't know that I would worry about those dwarfs getting leggy that much but those seedlings you just started will get leggy if you keep a light on them like you have it. You need grow lights 2-4 inches above the seedlings (if they're micros then it might not hurt them or make them that leggy though) to keep them from becoming leggy.

Al
Old April 18, 2018   #505
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

If you're worried about them becoming leggy due to not enough light and you want to slow the seedlings down till the sun is more constant, then read this thread:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=27408

Al
Old April 18, 2018   #506
LDiane

67 is this cross: (Red Robin X Rose Quartz Multiflora F6) F2 X Leggy F5

My seedlings are definitely not leggy, and not purple from cold. It doesn't
matter how cold it is outside - they are under lights in my heated home.
Old April 18, 2018   #507
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Got it! Al set me straight...........I misread your post. I am having trouble identifying between the 73X's.............the F2 and the F4..............
Old April 18, 2018   #508
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiane View Post
"and not purple from cold. It doesn't
matter how cold it is outside - they are under lights in my heated home."
That's the only time I've seen purple under side the leaves is when it's too cold and the plants have trouble getting nutrients.

I've had mine under the same conditions but if I don't keep the temps above 10c then I get some of the purple leaves...

Al
Old April 18, 2018   #509
LDiane

72 (Red Robin X Rose Quartz Multiflora F6) F2 X Stick

Seedlings:
9 normal
18 Stick
3 furry, almost gray

For those unfamiliar with Stick, it grows straight up with its leaves in tightly curled bunches

I wonder if a few seeds of 73 (a cross with Fuzzy Wuzzy) jumped in with my 72 seeds.

Last edited by LDiane; April 18, 2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old April 18, 2018   #510
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Ahh, so you're growing the "Stick"! I was curious if anyone was going to ask for that one

I've never grown Stick or Fuzzy Wuzzy but I think Fuzzy Wuzzy would be cool..

I'm growing:

21X - (RR X RQ mf F4) X 10X - (RR X RQ mf X Dwarf Firebird Sweet) F3

22X - (RR X RQ mf F4) X Banded Amazon F2
48X - (RR X RQ mf F5) X Banded Amazon F2
45X - (RR X RQ mf F4) X Silvery Fir Tree F3

Al

Last edited by Al@NC; April 18, 2018 at 05:59 PM.