Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 13, 2014   #1
framer
Tomatovillian™

Default bugs of cukes

Some type of bug has taken up residency on my cukes. I do not have the option of sending a picture. It is a light green bug that is approx. 1/4 to 3/8 inches long. It is about the same in height. Sorta looks like a sail on a sail boat. I found about 15 today on the stems of the plants. Have not seen any on the leaves or blooms. When disturbed they tend to move around the stem. I assume they are bad bugs. Have been picking them off for about 10 days but they are multiplying faster than I can smash them. Sorry that I am not able to provide photos.
framer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #2
TNTiger
Tomatovillian™

I think it may be a planthopper. I've seen them on my cucumbers too but not in large numbers.

Here's a link to a website describing them: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.o...nthoppers.aspx
TNTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #3
framer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks TNTiger. That is my problem bug. Have you ever had problems with them & if so, how did you deal with it? Again thanks
Charles
framer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #4
TNTiger
Tomatovillian™

I've never noticed any damage from them. Your description was great because I had just seen one the other day and laughed at how they move sideways around the stem to avoid being touched (or flicked off!).

I occasionally use Neem Oil or a mild Soap & Oil spray in my garden but I'm usually spraying for whiteflies and/or aphids so I can't tell you whether it works on these guys. The article mentions lady beetles (lady bugs) as a natural predator and at the moment I have an abundance of lady bugs hanging around (yay!).
TNTiger is offline   Reply With Quote