Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 8, 2014   #1
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Default talladega tomato seed source

Does anyone know of a source for Talledega tomato seeds beside Reimers?

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Bonnie Plants used to include this hybrid in their normal stock for the retailers. I haven't seen it for two or three years. I grew it back in 2008 and then, just for grins, tried some seed saved from the original plant in 2009. A couple of the plants were totally sterile - no viable blooms. Miserable failure both years and the taste, while okay, was not worth the effort. Smallish - 6 oz or so - flattened fruit that came in clusters.

It was a smallish plant, almost dwarf in size. Production was nothing to brag about. Bonnie may have excluded it because of a lack of demand in the marketplace.

Reimers may be the only source left and those seeds may have a few years on them.

My advice would be to use your money elsewhere.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

I remember Talladega offered in all the most recent Twilley Seed catalogs. I don't think I have their 2014 catalog any longer, but I think they still offer Talladega.

Talladega was one of the few that was touted as a replacement for Merced, I think. Top Gun was another. I think Top Gun was superior, at least when I grew it the year after Merced became extinct. Twilley also sells Top Gun, but it is more expensive than Talladega. There are a couple others in the same heat set category, but with better disease package. How about Florida 7514? Have you tried that one?

Last edited by travis; June 9, 2014 at 06:43 PM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote