Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old November 26, 2006   #1
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Default F1 not up to expectations

Have an F1 of College Challenger (Australian bred round red) and Brandywine suddeth. Its fruit show that the cross was successful in that the fruit shape and size is different from the parents.
This cross is a dud. Smaller fruit than either parent and lots of blossom end rot.
My question is , how does a cross of Brandywine with a red that is not all that bad taste wise, end up tasting so bad. Are sour genes dominate or what?
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2006   #2
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't go too much on the F1 Mantis. As you probably already know, it's the F2s where things could get interesting. I assume you did the cross to get some of Brandywine Sudduth Strain's flavour into the reliable CC. A worthy goal I think. I've been thinking of using CC myself as a base. It seems to like the dry heat here in Armidale better than most.
BTW, who was mother in the cross? I'm guessing it was CC because had it been BSS, you would have known whether or not it was a successful cross just by the foliage.
Old November 27, 2006   #3
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Cc was the mother Ray. That is why I had to wait for fruit to see if it had worked. I have bagged one truss on the plant and will grow some out to see what gives. I am hoping for a bush type in the F2's as Tatura dwarf globe was one of CC's parents originally.
This F1 is producing a lot of fruit but yeeach.
Old November 29, 2006   #4
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that Keith