Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 15, 2013   #16
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Well, I was pleased that fresh seeds from Lee this year for both Ambrosia Gold and Ambrosia Red produced the colors that they should. At least in my garden!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2013   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
Well, I was pleased that fresh seeds from Lee this year for both Ambrosia Gold and Ambrosia Red produced the colors that they should. At least in my garden!
And that's very good to know since Lee said he knew what the problem might be and it looks like he corrected it.

Carolyn
Old October 19, 2013   #18
uno
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn and RobinB

Carolyn

I think I have a good guess where you would buy seeds from but I'm not totally sure!

RobinB

When I grew some of the Sungold open pollinated varieties years ago I got different sizes even more extreme than your pictures. The color on some was a red/orange mix on some also rather than one color or another. It sounds like you are getting good tasting tomatoes from them and that is what is really important though!
uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2013   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno View Post
Thanks Carolyn and RobinB

Carolyn

I think I have a good guess where you would buy seeds from but I'm not totally sure!

RobinB

When I grew some of the Sungold open pollinated varieties years ago I got different sizes even more extreme than your pictures. The color on some was a red/orange mix on some also rather than one color or another. It sounds like you are getting good tasting tomatoes from them and that is what is really important though!
I'll PM you about the Galina source.

Carolyn
Old November 5, 2013   #20
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

hi -
What Robin shows does look similar to Sugar Drop. Sugar Drop is a further selection of Ambrosia Gold, smaller and sort of a dusky gold color. It also tapers a bit and will have a small nipple on the end, and I can't tell that from Robin's photo. It has the same flavor and scent as Sungold, but the brix level is quite a bit higher, particularly later in the season.
I sent out about a hundred packets of Sugar Drop last season. There has been one surprise so far. A grower thinks he may have a pink Sugar Drop and sent me some seed.
The Ambrosia lines appear to be pretty stable now as well. Thanks Carolyn! I've had another season to select them, so we are at F6. It is always an adventure and it's wonderful to work with everyone here.
Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sugar Drop3(r).JPG (265.5 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by goodwin; November 5, 2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added photo
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2013   #21
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Lee,
Nope. Mine are perfectly round and a darker, more intense gold (pumpkin colored) than what you show in the photo of Sugar Drop. I've never seen any elongation or nipples either.

I think my Ambrosia seeds are all finally dry. I'll get some in the mail to you soon.

We had a very early frost this year. There have been so many cold fronts I've lost count. Nights have been in the 20s, and we've had a small amount of snow down here (but over a foot up at Tahoe). How about you?

Robin
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #22
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Goodwin,

So which one gives you the taste and smell of Sun Gold with a higher brix? I'm a little mixed up on reading this while I'm tired.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2014   #23
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

hi zeroma,

The Ambrosia Gold is identical to SunGold in appearance and flavor. Sugar Drop is a bit smaller, sweeter, and is not orange. Both have the spicy scent. I took some to market Saturday in Santa Fe, so they are early for being field grown.

Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2014   #24
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

From Casey's Heirloom

Looking for the Japanese hybrid Sungold then you should try these:
Ambrosia Gold (p. 6)
Sweet Orange II (p. 14)
Big Sungold Select (p. 27)
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2014   #25
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I grew Sugar Drop last season. I gave away a number of plants. All the recipients got tomatoes that fit the description. My one plant produced pink tomatoes probably similar to the ones Goodwin mentioned above. I did save seed fom it. I also saved seed from one of my giveaways. This year I sowed the original ones from last year again just to see if there is a problem with stability. Everyone raved about the Sugar Drop. The pink variety I got were not as sweet.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote