Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 20, 2006   #1
bowtie
Tomatovillian™

Default What would you cross a potato leaf Black with?

I have 1 plant that's a PL black tomato, like Eva Purple Ball with the speckling/mottling, similar size/3", slightly flatter than a perfect globe.

What would you cross it with?

Here's the choices (there's some duplications if they fit more than one category, and a question mark if questionably in that category--for example, if Opal's is really a Determinate, Green Grape a grape, etc):

BI-COLOR Ananas Noire, Burracker's Favorite, Polish Pastel, Peaches & Cream, King Pineapple
BLACK Carbon, Cherokee Purple, DeBarao Black, Korney's Cross?, Marizol Korney, Negro Azteca, Nagcarlang?
BLACK CHERRY Negro Azteca
ORANGE CHERRY Jaune Flammee, SunPlum?
GREEN CHERRY Green Grape, Lime Green Salad
PINK CHERRY Quartz Multiflora, Wild Florida Everglade
RED CHERRY Ciudad Victoria, Matt's Wild Cherry
YELLOW CHERRY Galina's, Ildi
CURRANT SIZED Ciudad Victoria, Wild Florida Everglade
DWARF CHERRY Green PL Dwarf, Lime Green Salad
DWARF FULL-SIZE New Big Dwarf, Sophie's Choice
DETERMINATE Mountain Princess, Opal's Homestead?, Rio Grande
GRAPE Ildi, Green Grape?
GREEN Cherokee Green, Green Grape, Lime Green Salad, Green PL Dwarf
LONG KEEPING Giraffe
MULTIFLORA-PINK Quartz Multiflora
MULTIFLORA-YELLOW Ildi
ORANGE Persimmon
OXHEART--PINK Happy Jack
OXHEART--RED Ukrainian Heart, Yugoslavian
PINK Aunt Ginny's, Arkansas Traveler, Chianti Rose, Dr. Neal, Dutchman, Gogosha, Indian Stripe, Lithuanian, Marizol Purple, Micado Violettor, Pruden's Purple, Russian Rose, Tiffen Mennonite, Wanda's Potato Top, New Big Dwarf
POTATO LEAF-PINK Chianti Rose, Gogosha, Lithuanian, Micado Violettor, Pruden's Purple, Tiffen Mennonite, Wanda's Potato Top
POTATO LEAF-RED Brandywine OTV, Kimberly
POTATO LEAF-YELLOW/GOLD Aunt Gertie's Gold, Galina's
PLUM--BLACK DeBarao Black
PLUM--ORANGE Orange Banana
PLUM--RED Blocky Marzano, Horvath, Pompeii, Rio Grande, Sojourner SA, Uncle Steve's
REDS--LARGE Brandywine OTV, Early Santa Clara, Improved Colossal Red, Kellogg's West Virginia, Mark Twain, Mule Team, Old Virginia, Opal's Homestead, Red Brandywine, St. Pierre, Sophie's Choice
STRIPED Speckled Roman, Green PL Dwarf
YELLOW OTHER Hugh's
OTHER Nagcarlang

I'll be back... bigger, stronger, faster, better...
bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2006   #2
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default crossing partner w/ PL Black

Bowtie,
Lots of possible partners from your list depending on what you want to do as far as color, size, shape, and leaf type (RL or PL).

An interesting cross would be with Japanese Trefile Black, a PL black with good productivity, taste, and interesting non-globe shapes.

Since both are PL's you wouldn't have to be roughing out RL plants and would see results in the F1, of black PL fruits instead of waiting for the F2 for PL plants of various colors to show up with a non-black crossing partner . Using a RL cross partner with a color other than black does complicate the genetics somewhat.

Maybe Keith could chime in on some of the other genetic possibilities as I'm no expert on recessive and dominant traits when it comes to color, shape, etc.

Good luck in whatever you end up trying.

Best regards,
Spudleaf Willie (in his "new stomping grounds" in sw NM)
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2006   #3
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

If it were me, by far and without question...

Multiflora pink - i.e. Rose Quartz Multiflora

...just think about it.. a huge spray of BLACK tomatoes, cherry or otherwise..

sirtanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2006   #4
bowtie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctomato
that's a pretty open ended question

what is it you want to end up with?
The best tomato in the world? Goals too high? Just kidding!

There was a list of weird combos I saw somewhere else once, I think it was to do as research to see what the results would be. Lots of questions to get answered. What do you get when you cross a black with a green? a green w/a bi-color? a striped w/a bi-color? etc etc. An orange w/a black? a multiflora w/a dwarf? a multiflora w/a huge beefsteak or oxheart? an indeterminate with a d^x?

Based on some things I have growing now, I can try some of these, preferably PL females to make things easier; if you have any comments or previous results of these please share:

PL BLACK x BI-COLOR (like Ananas?)
PL BLACK x OXHEART
PL BLACK x DWARF (Browned Robin?)
PL BLACK x PLUM (DeBarao Bigger Black?)
PL BLACK x MULTIFLORA
PL BLACK x GREEN
PL BLACK x ORANGE (Oriole?)
PL BLACK x STRIPED (Black Lightning?)
PL BLACK x YELLOW
PL BLACK x GREEN-STRIPE (gs)
PL PINK x BI-COLOR
PL PINK x UKRAINIAN HEART?
PL PINK x DWARF (?)
PL PINK x DETERMINATE
PL YLW x BI-COLOR (Aunt Gertie's Blushing?)
PL YLW x BLACK
PL YLW x DWARF
PL YLW x DETERMINATE
PL YLW x GREEN (Galina's Green?)
PL YLW x ORANGE
PL YLW x OXHEART
PL YLW x PINK MULTIFLORA
PL YLW x PLUM
PL YLW x GREEN STRIPED (Lemon Lime?)
PL YLW x YLW MULTIFLORA
PL x BI-COLOR
PL x DWARF
PL x DETERMINATE
PL x MULTIFLORA (Kimberly's Explosion?)
PL x OXHEART
PL x PLUM
PL x STRIPED
PLUM x BI-COLOR
PLUM x DWARF
PLUM x MULTIFLORA (Well Hung 50?)
STRIPED x BI-COLOR
STRIPED x MULTIFLORA
YELLOW MULTIFLORA x PINK MULTIFLORA

etc etc.

Which look good or interesting?

Bill, I understood what you said but not why... the only thing I see, on paper, is... different shapes? If the parents are so similar, what do we gain or see in the results?

Sirtanon, that multiflora cross is one I'm thinking of...

Old July 21, 2006   #5
bowtie
Tomatovillian™

Yes, definitely... see any on the list that look like they'd taste good?

Maybe you can explain some basic results you'd get from certain color crosses or shape crosses? Which non-red colors when crossed with other non-red colors give what kind of results? Maybe you can just add comments/predictions after some of the cross combos above?

Old July 21, 2006   #6
bowtie
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like your lips are sealed, almost as much as Tom's? Spill the beans Keith.

Old July 21, 2006   #7
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Tom Wagner???

Keith, et al???
Does Tom Wagner post on T'ville?? What is his screen name?? I dont see much from him on GW and the other forums.. Its a shame he is so tight mouthed, he has such a wealth of knowledge that is untapped about mater genetics.

Regards, Spud
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2006   #8
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

What has really surprised me this year as far as crosses is how much luck is involved in terms of finding good flavor in the F1. If you've been following the R&D thread on the Dwarf project, there are some pretty good flavored tomatoes being crossed that are leading to some pretty bland tasting hybrids (of all of the 10 dwarfs F1s we are growing, seems as though Sleazy A and Witty are the two with pretty good flavor). That of course doesn't mean that there are really good finds to be made when we take this further into the F2, F3 and beyond.

It is just clear that crossing two very good flavored tomatoes doesn't mean you are going to get a great - or even good - flavored hybrid!