Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 30, 2009   #166
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn
Not you -- I know your info - I was wondering what Amy Goldmans was in - unless she followed the same exact path as you
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2010   #167
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

I obviously have WAY too many books!! I went to look at the library shelves to locate Carolyn's book - (always like to add a few more varieties from the book that I haven't yet tried to the current year's garden) .... and .... much to my shock & dismay .... THE BOOK was NOWHERE in sight! ... ????? .... I do not, for the life of me, know what happened & where my beloved book is. Hhmmmffpp.

So I just bit the bullet, went on-line, found a website, and ordered my second copy!! I know my first copy will definitely show up, but, what the heck ... you can never have too many copies of the Tomato Bible according to Carolyn!
Old January 14, 2010   #168
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I'm happy to have started this thread very soon after T'Ville opened, and that the sticky is still here after almost four years, and looks like it is still going strong.

DS
Old January 14, 2010   #169
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpossible View Post
I obviously have WAY too many books!! I went to look at the library shelves to locate Carolyn's book - (always like to add a few more varieties from the book that I haven't yet tried to the current year's garden) .... and .... much to my shock & dismay .... THE BOOK was NOWHERE in sight! ... ????? .... I do not, for the life of me, know what happened & where my beloved book is. Hhmmmffpp.

So I just bit the bullet, went on-line, found a website, and ordered my second copy!! I know my first copy will definitely show up, but, what the heck ... you can never have too many copies of the Tomato Bible according to Carolyn!
Don't feel so bad Kim, I pretty much did the same thing. So ordered one for myself as a Christmas present from Dad, LOL Well he did tell me to get what I wanted for Christmas....within reason! However, I believe that may be at least the third copy(maybe more) in my case, and I haven't a flippin' clue where the others went. And I refuse to admit that there is such thing as too many books. (Except perhaps when having to move them all....sigh....and I've got another shift coming up in the future when the house sells.....sighhhhh....grrrrrrrrr....just to give you an idea of the volume we're talking....I've got more than 350 cookbooks, more than 800 books on architecture, design and fine arts, about 100 on gardening, and I don't want to count how many fiction, but there's at least a couple of hundred Sci-Fi/Sci-Fantasy there, and then there's all the periodicals)
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2010   #170
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Zana! Now I don't feel so bad!
Old January 15, 2010   #171
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Kim and Zana
I have left mine several times over the years at restaurants - has my address and phone number in it - sometimes I would get a call right away other times a few days later - a couple of times I back traced where I had been over the last week only to find it still at the restaurant and an employee reading through it - they said they saw the number but didn't leave a message hoping they could sneak in a few more days of reading - by the way they both asked where they could get it because they looked in the bookstore "Barnes and Noble" and it wasn't stocked - 1 found it at Amazon and the other ordered from B and N
I still cross my fingers I don't lose it. Of cource it is wearing out - binder has been re-taped to hold it together but still best out there

Dennis
Old January 15, 2010   #172
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one who has had trouble keeping tabs on my copy! I have my new copy in hand & hopefully will never lose track of it, knock on wood. They had better never discontinue printing .... just in case!!
Old January 16, 2010   #173
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I have the same problem.

I first bought the book at least 10 years ago when SSE had a store in Madison. We used the book at the farmers markets when we were selling plants as reference material. Last year tho I couldn't find it. It's probably out in the barn in a "market box" along with bags and other market materials.

So I checked out Amazon and Half.com but at the time they didn't have any at a decent price. But I think both have "wish lists" you can put the book on.

I did get it again last summer and I'm trying to keep better track of it this time. But Hubby will take things at times and then it will end up who knows where. Amy's book disappeared for a while this summer because he had it in his truck.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2010   #174
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Carol
Justbought one for my wifes cousin - ordered through Barnes and Nobel and cost me over $20.00 but found later on Amazon books for new starting at $10.16 to $12.89 and they have used starting at $7.84

I was able to put one in my cart - in stock then deleted it out - so they should have it
Dennis
Old January 16, 2010   #175
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I do have a copy right now. In fact Carolyn's and Amy's books are sitting right next to me. Eventually we will find the other book too.

I just mentioned Amazon and Half as places people could look if they need one. The price jumps all over the place too, partly depending on if others are offering it.

Carol
Old January 17, 2010   #176
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Carol
Did you find that in Amy's book she doesn't like a lot of the tomatoes she has in it? Why add them with so much detail - make a chart with those that have no taste and don't produce - anyway some of those I like ahe really doesn't like at all - not just a little different in her taste but 180 degrees different on some
nice pics but I like Carolyns book how it shows more pics with maters on a plant at different stages

Dennis
Old January 17, 2010   #177
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Yes, both have nice pics, but Carolyn's have them as the plants, not just the fruit.

And yes again about Amy's book putting in varieties that she didn't like. Strange. In fact almost ALL of the varieties in the first section of the book are listed as "insipid". Also several she didn't like are some of my favs. I'm not too crazy about the format of the book either. The print is way too small for my old eyes, even with my glasses on. Some of the pics of the varieties are NOT typical of the variety as I've grown them too. Color and/or shape seem odd for some of them.

Carol
Old January 17, 2010   #178
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbigfish View Post
Carolyn
Not you -- I know your info - I was wondering what Amy Goldmans was in - unless she followed the same exact path as you
Dennis
Dennis, I did think you were asking about me, b'c I goofed, and I never saw this post of yours until today.

Amy Goldman's Ph. D. is in Psychology.
Old January 17, 2010   #179
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn
No problem, you are busy trying to do so much I knew you would eventually catch up.
I wondered because I didn't think she had the science background like you do. By the way did you ever take plant genetics or breeding or was your Phd geared more towards human or general microbiology?

I took microbiogy of the gene(grad class) and plant breeding (for my undergrad degree) but when I start reading some of the threads and Tom Wagner I realize how little I know about tomato genetics(far cry from Mendle and peas studies). Amazingly Tom is self taught.

Looking forward to mail with my seed requests.

Thanks
Dennis
Old January 18, 2010   #180
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think Carolyn's book is a work of art.
I have simply got to get off my rear and build the antique wheel barrow that is in the book.

Right in the front yard it will go.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote