Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 1, 2017   #346
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Default We have stripes!

13x-F3-1, 17" tall. Not micro, not multi-floral, but definitely striped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00813x.jpg (47.2 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00810.jpg (47.2 KB, 347 views)
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017   #347
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
The 14X cross is finally changing color and showing the first hues of yellow/ red. Let's see how the final outcome will be, I am hoping for purple stripes..
But the taste of course is what matters most.
A quick update.
The first fruits ripened, all red: I learned that they need to get totally dark red in order to taste like the real thing. Decent flavor, when allowed to mature completely.
I'm fortunate to be able to get decent-tasting locally grown cherry tomatoes from the supermarket this time of the year, so likely I won't grow these again (limited space)
But it's worth growing and eating, if someone is looking for a red cherry tom that stays compact.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #348
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Top are my two 11xF3 plants and bottom are my two 19xF2 plants. All are giving red cherries that are quite delicious. I'll update with more details as I get more tomatoes. The 19xF2 is really tasty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69CAECBB-2668-4378-97EF-AE7090DA9176.jpg (539.2 KB, 315 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #349
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

As noted way back in this thread mine were dwarf, not micros but just for interest, I still have the 4 plants from seed sown Dec 2 2016. Still blooming, still producing in 5 gallon pots (2 plants per pot) and still under 3 feet tall. Still looking good too.
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg microdwarf cherry.jpg (147.5 KB, 313 views)
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2017   #350
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Report: 27X F3-1

These were from DFollett, transplanted (small) on 6-14 into an Earthbox Junior. Picked the first today 8-19. Very short and bushy -- 12" tall by about 15" wide now. Good flavor -- maybe a 7 or so, and medium pink (not as dark as the photo suggests). I've got another plant of this version, but no ripe fruit on it yet. Virtually no disease on either, and this one sits in a location that gets a max of 8 hrs direct sunlight. Definitely not multiflora, and the fruit is all hidden in the thick, dark green foliage.

-GG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27X F3-1 (Large).jpg (131.1 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg 27X F3-1 fruit.jpg (290.5 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by Greatgardens; August 20, 2017 at 08:01 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2017   #351
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
A quick update.
The first fruits ripened, all red: I learned that they need to get totally dark red in order to taste like the real thing. Decent flavor, when allowed to mature completely.
I'm fortunate to be able to get decent-tasting locally grown cherry tomatoes from the supermarket this time of the year, so likely I won't grow these again (limited space)
But it's worth growing and eating, if someone is looking for a red cherry tom that stays compact.
The bush is finished producing its first crop, almost all fruits eaten now. There are five to six new littke nobs forming and growing, we'll see if they have enough strength to mature.
The taste was very ordinary, a bit like its ancestors red Robin and Mohamed - but I would say those are much tastier varieties than this cross.
Sorry to be a bearer of not such a glowing report!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #352
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default 21X F3 by way of Barb_FL

Here is another of Dan's crosses. I grew out three of these and got what appears to be three very different plants. #1 is very bushy with very dense foliage. It suffered a great deal from Septoria, and I will probably rip it out in the next day or or so. Had a few ripe tomatoes on it, but are so buried in the dense foliage, that I didn't get them before the bugs did. Dead end for me.

#2 Here is another 21X, and this was (I'd say) multi-flora. Big crest of blooms on it, but hasn't produced any ripe tomatoes yet. Good looking plant and the green toms look to be decent sized. Depending on the taste of the ripe fruit, this one might get another look next season.

#3 Here is the best. It is a fairly small plant, but has a good number of fruit, and I found ripe ones just a couple of days ago. These are good-sized, SWEET, and they don't split. This was grown in an EarthBox Jr. so it had plenty of moisture, but still no splitting. I'll definitely grow this one out again as an F4.

-GG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21X F3 #1 Bushy.jpg (122.2 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg 21X F3 #2 Multiflora.jpg (113.4 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg 21X F3 #3 Best One.jpg (123.7 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg 21X F3 #3 Best One Ripe.jpg (88.3 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by Greatgardens; August 29, 2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old August 29, 2017   #353
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default 19X F4 by way of KarenO

Pretty sure this was 19X, and it's another cross from DFollett. I grew out 5 of these, and they are all pretty similar. All PL and all very deep brownish-red (garnet?) in color. These were grown in a 12" hanging basket (pictured), garden soil, and in an EB without using the reservoir. Basically used like a large container with good potting mix.

Those in dirt did the worst. Hanging basket is the best so far, and the EB in between. All 4 that have produced ripe fruit. have had a tendency to split when ripe, so I think these would need to be picked before ripe. Tart + sweet, but emphasis on tart. I'm picking these early now, and will let them ripen inside and see if they get sweeter. The one in the 12" hanging basket has no ripe fruit yet. It is close to being multiflora, IMO.

I plan to select the best and grow from the F5 next year.

-GG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19X Best One.jpg (101.0 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg 19X F4 ripe.jpg (86.6 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by Greatgardens; August 30, 2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old September 1, 2017   #354
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I had a couple of crosses growing, but my pups destroyed the plants before they could mature fruit. I am enjoying hearing about everybody's experience with the micro multifloras this year.
Old September 2, 2017   #355
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default 11X F2 from DFollett

Last of the crosses I grew from DFollett. This is 11X F2, and looks to be a real winner if I can reproduce it in subsequent generations. It is quite large (ave. over an once), very deep brownish-red with dark shoulders -- "blackish." Doesn't split, pretty normal skin, and is SWEET. This is the best I've harvested from the experimental varieties this summer, or perhaps tied with one of the 21X plants. It is RL, less than 2 ft. tall. I needed to give it more support with a small cage or the like. As it is, a couple of the branches broke from the main stem, and are propped up for the picture.

-GG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11X F2 -3 .jpg (121.4 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg 11X F2 -2.jpg (36.7 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg 11X F2 -1.jpg (36.4 KB, 212 views)
Old September 5, 2017   #356
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Labeling Saved Seeds

Anyone... If I save seeds from a tomato that I grew from seeds designated as "F3" then I presume I should label my saved seeds as "F4." Is that correct?

-GG
Old September 5, 2017   #357
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Anyone... If I save seeds from a tomato that I grew from seeds designated as "F3" then I presume I should label my saved seeds as "F4." Is that correct?

-GG
That is correct. The fruit is F3. It's seed will be F4. There F refers to filial generation. Original cross is F1, next generation is F2, etc.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017   #358
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Update on 19X F4: The one pictured in the hanging basket turned out to be the best of five 19X plants that I grew. This one has shown virtually no splitting, and when allowed to ripen completely (the dark greenish color on the shoulders nearly gone) they are very sweet. This is even sweeter than 11X, although not quite as large. This is the one that I will grow next spring. I have to change my rankings, and place this one as #1!
-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; September 18, 2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old October 4, 2017   #359
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Page 17, post 245

Curious what became of this. Did anyone grow this out again?
I realize this would not be a great Winter grow but looks like it has
potential for deck/container growing.
Could possibly be started a bit early if the plant is small for some
time before fruit set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 7.30.05 AM.jpg (271.2 KB, 149 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017   #360
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Page 17, post 245

Curious what became of this. Did anyone grow this out again?
I realize this would not be a great Winter grow but looks like it has
potential for deck/container growing.
Could possibly be started a bit early if the plant is small for some
time before fruit set.
So far, nothing has become of it. I was going to grow some out this past summer, but life intervened and I didn't get to it. I'm sure I have a bunch of seed sitting around. I have focused mostly on the micros and not done much with the dwarfs and don't have the time to follow through with everything that shows promise. Nor do I have time or inclination to coordinate something like Craig's Dwarf Project.

I'm happy to send seed to anyone who wants to play with these and (hopefully) keep us informed of results. I don't think things will ever move very quickly with these multifloras for a simple reason. When the difference between the parents of a cross are substantial - and they are huge in these crosses - there are far more duds than winners in the F2-F4 generations. (I am just now growing out my first F5s) People are easily discouraged, and I'm sure from the way I presented these initially, people's expectations were not met in most instances.

But they are fun to grow.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote