Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 9, 2017   #91
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I only tell people to hold off for two reasons:

1. Make sure new seed is DRY.
2. For those with large collections (of tomato varieties), wait until the final master wish list is posted (about Nov 1st), for fulfilling requests.

If participants know exactly what they are sending in, it can be done now.

Since some people are "antsy" about whether their packages get here, I'll try to post arrivals about once a week.

Arriving this week...

CA Yu F
FL Ei M

Also, a reminder that a legible mailing address, T'ville user name , email address if you want to, and return postage, should all be in there with your wish list and seeds.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #92
TessSR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
It's a swap. And, it works how you want it to work. I'm just the chief enabler...uhmm, host.

There are old threads, from past years, if you have oodles of time to read.
Thank you! Where do I sign up. When is the deadline and where to send the seed packs?

Sorry, newbie here so bear with me. I had done a lot of swaps in FB, but this will be the first for Tomatoville.
TessSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #93
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Post #32 has a link that takes you to a page of links that give all the rules etc.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #94
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Nan, I had never heard of using cinnamon.

After some thought, this is the first time I have tried germinating in the Pro Mix I bought at Walmart earlier this year. ($17 a bag - I forget the brand name - I'll have to look tomorrow in the daytime.) It could be there is something wrong with that bag of pro mix because I had horrible results using it in three large pots of tomato plants earlier this year. I know I'm grasping at straws, but it could be that pro mix is contaminated with something?
That was a week or so ago. I sat the seed tray outside on a table in dappled shade, and more seeds are coming up. Two of the varieties I want to share both have 4 of 6 germinated. hmm ... Now I'm wondering if it is that the Pro Mix just doesn't have many nutrients in it? Would that explain slow germination? I know it would explain slow growth for a more mature plant.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #95
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
That was a week or so ago. I sat the seed tray outside on a table in dappled shade, and more seeds are coming up. Two of the varieties I want to share both have 4 of 6 germinated. hmm ... Now I'm wondering if it is that the Pro Mix just doesn't have many nutrients in it? Would that explain slow germination? I know it would explain slow growth for a more mature plant.
Nutrients that are needed for germination are already in each seed, and feed the sprout until the first true leaves appear. Then , they need food.

Most likely either moisture or temperatures caused the slower germination; sometimes seeds are just a bit slower, too.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #96
TessSR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It's July, so it's time to at least start working on the "rules".

Gary Fitzgerald

Rule one is don't PM me for my mailing address, or my PM box will get overloaded.

22 Francis St.

It's here between the Elvis smilies.

Westfield, MA 01085

(I think Elvis will keep any bots from phishing my address)

Up next will be the different parts of the swap; wish lists, categories, Nifty Fifty categories, peppers, bonuses, other veggie/fruit/flower seed, along with packaging and mailing instructions.

Anything new that anyone would like to add?
Got the address!!! Thank you.
TessSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #97
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Nutrients that are needed for germination are already in each seed, and feed the sprout until the first true leaves appear. Then , they need food.

Most likely either moisture or temperatures caused the slower germination; sometimes seeds are just a bit slower, too.
I have run into that problem before. Some seeds taking 3 days to sprout and another variety taking 14-21 days.

The good thing is that one of the varieties is one Tormato wanted seeds sent in for. It's the %^&*&^% variety
Old September 11, 2017   #98
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

2. For those with large collections (of tomato varieties), wait until the final master wish list is posted (about Nov 1st), for fulfilling requests.

If participants know exactly what they are sending in, it can be done now.

Since some people are "antsy" about whether their packages get here, I'll try to post arrivals about once a week.

Arriving this week...

CA Yu F
FL Ei M

Also, a reminder that a legible mailing address, T'ville user name , email address if you want to, and return postage, should all be in there with your wish list and seeds.
Mine are just a donation. No return needed, no wishlist either. Do with them as you wish.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #99
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The ones I'm sending in are mostly for donation too. The only request I have is for FFF, N varieties. (Reminds me to go change the online doc.)
Old September 20, 2017   #100
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

My package should have arrived to you today!
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2017   #101
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

I had a hell of a garden year this year. Aka everything went to poop. Out of literally 100s of tomato plants I got a handful of tomatoes for tacos one night. Gophers, early blight, and my new job kinda took me away from it all.

I will send you some pepper seed as donation Gary. Just bringing them in the house now, so it will be awhile yet.
Old September 21, 2017   #102
MissS
Tomatovillian™

It sounds like an abundance of seeds are being sent in, however there are very few participants this year. Come on, where is the fun?

I won't be participating this year either due to events here.
Old September 24, 2017   #103
MdTNGrdner

I am really looking forward to this! And most everything is packed but i PM'd Gary about the Nifty Fifty varieties and am just really waiting on that bit...

Thanks to all the donors sending stuff in; EXTRA thanks even because with the current count on the wishlist at 14 participants, we might need all the help we can get!
Old September 24, 2017   #104
salix
Tomatovillian™

Hope I can get my package to you in time...

Very poor year here - have picked everything and it is slowly ripening indoors. Suspect I will be lucky to make the deadline
Old September 25, 2017   #105
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

2. For those with large collections (of tomato varieties), wait until the final master wish list is posted (about Nov 1st), for fulfilling requests....
Oh good! I should have finished moving by then (it has been a long process, but I managed to grow tomatoes and save seeds).

Is the Nifty Fifty still on, and does it have a deadline? And open categories?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote