Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 6, 2014   #1
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone ever use one of these?

So is a this bird deterrent or a complete waste of money? Has anyone ever used one of these and if so how did it work for you? I just bought one at a local nursery on the discount rack so im not out to much money if it doesn't work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img20140605_220420.jpg (374.5 KB, 219 views)
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #2
daninpd
Tomatovillian™

Default Salinas Valley Observer

The ag guys around here use some white pajamas flapping from a stick for a scarecrow (that assumes you have the kind of wind the Salinas Valley generates). And also lots of sparkly mylar tape waving in the breeze to distract the little bird eyes.
daninpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #3
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I use several in my strawberry patch, but they only really work if you move them daily. Once the critters get accustomed to them, they just ignore them and dine happily. But keep the critters guessing and uncomfortable, and they do work, at least for me.

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Old June 6, 2014   #4
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

That looks scary. I just wonder how long it will last.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #5
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

What scares bunnies away, aside from liberal sprinklings of cayenne powder on their favourite meals?
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Got one in my bedroom.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #7
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Got one in my bedroom.
Worth
A bunny? Or a Bunny?
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #8
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

What's worked best for me is my box of fairly realistic looking plastic/rubber toy snakes, picked up when I saw them on sale in stores or at garage sales, etc. If birds begin appropriating more than their share of raspberries, etc. I put them in and around the bushes, moving them frequently.

As FarmerShawn said -- if you keep the birds uncomfortable and uncertain (and as long as their alternative isn't starvation) they'll usually go find somewhere else to dine.

Of course, my method might not be so desirable if you live in an area where you are likely to pick up what you think is one of your bird deterrents to move it, and find that it is not a fake snake.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Toronto View Post
A bunny? Or a Bunny?
Sometimes I need to read what these things are for before I make crazy comments.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #10
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

We have one of those in our pool. Keeps the ducks out! We put a little water inside of it and it floats around in the pool. This is our second or third year using it. It has held up pretty well. We did not deflate it for the winter though.

But it seems to work
Old June 6, 2014   #11
tedln

I've never had a problem with getting rid of birds in my garden in Texas. I have five bird houses in my garden. I love watching them catch insects to feed their young.

When we lived in Louisiana. I always had problems with Blue Jays and a few others pecking holes in tomatoes. A few large rubber snakes in the vines kept them away. I had to move the snakes around weekly or the birds would finally figure out they were fake.

Ted
Old June 7, 2014   #12
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input im going to try it. I will have to move it around alot to keep them on there toes. Any one use fake owls or hawks. They probably work the same as long as you move them from time to time.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old June 8, 2014   #13
mrdoitall
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
I use several in my strawberry patch, but they only really work if you move them daily. Once the critters get accustomed to them, they just ignore them and dine happily. But keep the critters guessing and uncomfortable, and they do work, at least for me.

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
FarmerShawn, What I have found to work well for keeping the birds from eating the strawberries... Is early in the spring paint lots of rocks red like strawberry color also get rocks about the size of your ripe berries. Place them all around the strawberry patch way before the strawberries get ripe... That way the birds will try pecking some of the red rocks and learn they are not good to eat and they will leave the strawberries alone... Give it a try its works great for me... As for the big bird deterrent I've never tried one sorry...
mrdoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #14
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoitall View Post
FarmerShawn, What I have found to work well for keeping the birds from eating the strawberries... Is early in the spring paint lots of rocks red like strawberry color also get rocks about the size of your ripe berries. Place them all around the strawberry patch way before the strawberries get ripe... That way the birds will try pecking some of the red rocks and learn they are not good to eat and they will leave the strawberries alone... Give it a try its works great for me... As for the big bird deterrent I've never tried one sorry...

That is a cool idea! I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

Old June 9, 2014   #15
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

In my garden the birds go right past the strawberries and right onto the blueberries. The biggest pest on the strawberries are snails.