Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 30, 2006   #16
travis
Tomatovillian™

"it has a certain je ne sais quoi" [Keith]

"Im stopping here because I feel like I am babbling in my flu state." [Keith]

Hey, I hope you get over the flu and all (I had it last week and it's a particularly nasty strain), but ...

Glad you babbled long enough for me to finally learn how to spell "jenny say quah!"

Thanks for the tutorial on tomato genetics as well.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2006   #17
Catntree
Tomatovillian™

Taste hit in F1: Stump O' My Heart

Accidental Stump of the world cross that had a heart shape. Very good flavor, smallish heart, RL. Looking forward to the seggregation
Old February 5, 2006   #18
travis
Tomatovillian™

"Once one has a recessive trait, they have it. A recessive pollinating itself can only produce a recessive. So, it actually only takes to an F2 to "get it" expressed and locked into that population. The plant will/may still segregate out for other traits in the F3 etc but once you have a potato leaf, all lines stemming from it should be potato leafed." [KC]

Keith,

Thanks for that information. It's exactly what I was looking for and explains something regarding those "off types" lurking around in the seed saving world due to reluctance to rogue, or maybe the desire for something different I guess.

In any case, now I know the minimum number of plants to foster out to my truck farmin' buddy should I happen to come up with recessive traits I want to pursue.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2006   #19
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Read a post on this thread after I started my SFT thread. Great minds...

Nothing else worth saying. Just sending hugs to my favourite Santa. Nice to see you around.

Jennifer
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2006   #20
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Just heard that today is your national day. Happy NZ holiday then, with extra hugs to you and Jan!!!!

Jennifer, finally seeing a weeny bit of snow upover--for those who don't believe in Global warming, here's more proof this winter!
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote