Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 30, 2016   #1
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Programing a MH1210 W Thermostat

Hi..I desparately need to set a panel heater up controled by a MH1210 w thermostat ...Although I had no throuble setting a STC -1000 this one has got me stumped ...There is what looks like a good video on You tube but its in Spanish ..I have the instructions etc but sorry I cannot get the hang of them so am hoping somebody can set me right with clear,precise instructions on what I have to do...

All I want the thermostat to do is cut the power at a set Temperature(celcius) and switch it on again at a few degrees lower so lets say 28degrees max and 23degrees low....

Now I have spent countless hours on this thermostat on several occasions since I bought it 12 months ago ..and still have not got it set....and I just cannot get my head round what I am doing wrong....
I wonder if I need to have it hooked up with the heater prior to programing it...I just powered it up and thought I could put my High Setting and Low setting in and save it and that would be that ...?

I require Step by step instructions ....I have posted the instructions etc ...
What could be confusing me is That I expected it to be programed along the lines the STC 1000 is but this is a whole new ball game ...To me??
I would be sincerely grateful for any advice ...I have looked via Google for answers with no result...thanks Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A.jpg (360.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg B.jpg (524.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg C.jpg (425.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg MH Instructions.jpg (93.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Manual_2016-07-31_031725.jpg (90.6 KB, 40 views)
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #2
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...Well I am still lost but might be making some headway...I have plugged the heater on via the thermostat to see what happens ....After a few minutes I could smell a heater that had not been used for some time and I watched as the Thermostat temperature slowly rose from a room temperature of 15 degrees C and then stopped at 29.1 degrees C and started to decrease.....Now I pressed set and I see a 24.1 C degree setting which has been in the thermostat for some time....I thought 24.1C would be the cut off point but apparantly its not...so its nearly down to 24.1 C now....if it kicks back on the problem is solved???
Well its now 23.6C degrees so I will just watch to see what it does come down to ??? Maybe it has a 5 degree plus and minus variation on the 24.1C setting ??
NO?? its come back on at 22.9C so thats not too bad if it keeps a 22.9 to 29.1 C degree cycle....or is that too hot for air that is keeping my soil warm..
I will post this now and post again later with further results... Thankyou Ron

PS...No This time it has stopped working @ 26.4 degrees ......??????and it looks like a few more hours attention may be required...
Started working at 22.9/23 degrees C.......Has now reached 26.7C and is now dropping ..The heater may have switched off at 26.4 degrees and achieved another 0.3 degree heat before reversing.....I expect it will now slowly drop to 22.9 and start working again when a small LED working light comes on...Goodness knows how one can adjust it?? Give me a STC-1000 any day over this thermostat...

Last edited by murihikukid; July 31, 2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old July 31, 2016   #3
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

I am not familiar with this controller but I'll take a stab at it.

My guess is that you want to set the codes like this:
hc H
d 1 or 2
pu 0
ca 0 (if temp probe accurate)
at off

I suspect your d code is on 6 now. If you change it to 2 and the temperature set point is 28, then it should heat to 28 and stay off until it drops to 26.
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #4
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi..Thanks for your reply ...When I press Set ....24.0 appears and flashes....Now I presume thats the temperature it is set at or I set it at cause it would not go over 24.0 which puzzles me.......However I still have an air temperature reading of between 23 and 25.5 where its required and I think that will gradually warm the soil in my drums...

So as I see it d is the differential? and I am most probably on the default setting cause I have certainly never done anything to it...

I presume the LED beside work ...when it lights up it means its feeding electricity to the heater...cause when the light goes off the temperature still rises 1 and a 1/2 degrees and again there is a lag at the lower end but thats no problem for me...
I will try to raise the temperature setting ...How I think this is done is by pressing SET and the 24.0 will appear and it it is flashing I can use the Up arrow to increase the setting to say 27.0 but how to lock it in...?

This thermostat is popular with home brewers and I got some tips on it via their forums....but many people have the same problem as I do ..how to set it...Its all about wiring it and nothing about how to set it...amazing??

There is also a High Temperature and a Low Temperature setting but goodness knows how to set that up ....a set temperature with a couple of degrees variation either side will do it for me...

Now I just tried raising the setting...IE I pressed Set and 24.0 appeared and flashes ..I then tried to raise it by pressing the arrow but I cannot get it over 24.0 ....I am sure if I pressed the down arrow it will go down ..so maybe its defective....I just ordered 4 more STC -1000 thermostats so at least I will be happy with them...Later I will do some more experimenting on this MH1210W and see what happens....Regards Ron

Regards Ron

Last edited by murihikukid; July 31, 2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old July 31, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Are you pressing save to exit?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #6
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi. It has not got a save as such ...although I think the Reset may save it but it switches the unit off also when this is done......I have changed d to 3.0 which I presume is degrees so I just have to keep watching the temperature reading and take note of what is happening ...and I will read the instructions again to see if I can make sense of them with what I have already found out myself.....The STC -1000 I have set at 23.8 with a 5 degree Plus/minus variation ...Easy ..It comes on at 23.8 - 5 = 18.8 and goes off at 23.8 + 5 = 28.8 degrees....I have thought of decreasing the variation but it turns the heater on for 2 -3 minutes and takes 4 hours before it reheats again so I would presume its not using much electricity...

Cheers Ron..
Old July 31, 2016   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The save button is the upper left hand button you have to push it after you make your changes.
Old August 1, 2016   #8
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

OK...Now your an electrical man as far as I can tell the thermostat cuts the power at a setting of 24 degrees,,,I have watched it and hear a switch ? So the heater is off yet the temperature rises slowly to 26.6 before it slowly starts dropping ?????......I really need to know how I can raise the 24 degree setting up to about 27....unless I have to go right back to the program start and clear everything and reset again the H ...if I can ....The top right arrow is as I understand supposed to raise the 24 setting...it doesn't...I have tryed this several times ...If the setting is below 24...the right hand top arrow will raise the setting but only to 24??....the lower right arrow certainly lowers the 24 in 10ths of a degree....There must be something I am not doing right...Cheers Ron
Old August 1, 2016   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The reason the temp is rising after it shuts off is the same reason a roast will continue to rise after you take it out of the oven.
I am guessing you temp probe as some distance from the heat source.
Old August 1, 2016   #10
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

OK.. can accept that ...I am now having to move onto a High Temperature and a low Temperature and see what I can achieve with those settings as I cannot set above 24 degreesC... Regards Ron
Old August 1, 2016   #11
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

When you push the power button to save and exit out of the codes, are you pushing the button momentary or are you pushing for 3 seconds? It needs to be a momentary push.

The factory default low and high is -50c and 110c. With those settings, you should be able to set the set point as high as 110c or as low as -50c

Hope this helps

Last edited by Rockandrollin; August 1, 2016 at 01:13 PM.
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2016   #12
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi ..I am pushing til it goes completely off???......I managed to get it controling the temperature at 28 C with very little varience which means it is powering the heater on and off at very regular intervals ...I think I could save usage with a varience setting but at the moment 28 C is better than nothing ...The whole setting arrangement makes no sense to me but its my fault...I should have made sure I was buying an STC 1000 and not one that looks like it...in fact the seller is still selling them and does not even list any model particulars..
The one issue I have is I can set the H....but cannot set it higher than 24.0 and I just do not understand that ...Thats why yesterday I went to HS and LS (high temperature and low temperature) settings to see what I got.....it looks like i got a high temperature locked in of 28 but my low temperature i presume never got set and that is why its keeping the temperature at 28 ..I hope I am explaining this correctly cause as I always say its hit and miss with me...
and thanks to everybody that has helped me ..Regards Ron