Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old September 21, 2014   #76
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Still have a long way to go to scratch off all the places on my diving bucket list. And I think I may know the dive shop that you're talking about....the one across from the all-inclusive....or at least what was one years ago. Not sure if it is still.

Even after 40 plus years of being certified, I keep finding more places to add to my diving bucket list. LOL Not sure that will ever end.....sighhhhh. But there are certainly many I'd love to go back to again too.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2014   #77
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Mexican/Tex Mex Food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
That is it basically. Pinto beans with garlic and onion powder, comino or cumin, salt, pepper, and chopped onions.

Thanks for this!

Since we've strayed a bit into other cuisines, I'll add that the southern Italians have a similar dish, but I don't know that it has an "official" name. It's Roma beans with garlic, good olive oil, a pinch of cayenne powder, and salt to taste. Some eat it as is, while others partially mash the beans with a fork before eating. I make it with canned Roma beans and along with some good bread, it's one of my favorite quick winter dinners.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2014   #78
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
Still have a long way to go to scratch off all the places on my diving bucket list. And I think I may know the dive shop that you're talking about....the one across from the all-inclusive....or at least what was one years ago. Not sure if it is still.

Even after 40 plus years of being certified, I keep finding more places to add to my diving bucket list. LOL Not sure that will ever end.....sighhhhh. But there are certainly many I'd love to go back to again too.
Unless I become super wealthy, I'll never hit all the spots on my bucket list.
Trying to convince hubby to take next weekend off so we can dive North Carolina for the first time.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2014   #79
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Anybody use epazote or papalo? Thinking about growing a plant of each. Any idea when I would plant them?
Old September 22, 2014   #80
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Thanks for this!

Since we've strayed a bit into other cuisines, I'll add that the southern Italians have a similar dish, but I don't know that it has an "official" name. It's Roma beans with garlic, good olive oil, a pinch of cayenne powder, and salt to taste. Some eat it as is, while others partially mash the beans with a fork before eating. I make it with canned Roma beans and along with some good bread, it's one of my favorite quick winter dinners.
Everything I've looked up online so far brings up Romano green beans. Some of the recipes look a lot like yours. What I've read really sounds good.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2014   #81
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Everything I've looked up online so far brings up Romano green beans. Some of the recipes look a lot like yours. What I've read really sounds good.

Oops, yes they are "Romano" beans. The recipe is for the shelled canned beans. And, just to get us back on topic a bit, the brand available around here is Goya and they sells them as "Frijoles Romanos." If you can't find Romano beans, look for Berlotti (or cranberry) beans.

Or, if you grow a lot of Roma pole beans, shell the later season beans that are too tough to eat as green beans and get left on the vine. I pick them just when the pods start to dry out for a treat that's completely different than if you let them dry completely. Either way, boil them in water until tender and dress them with the remaining ingredients.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2014   #82
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Oops, yes they are "Romano" beans. The recipe is for the shelled canned beans. And, just to get us back on topic a bit, the brand available around here is Goya and they sells them as "Frijoles Romanos." If you can't find Romano beans, look for Berlotti (or cranberry) beans.

Or, if you grow a lot of Roma pole beans, shell the later season beans that are too tough to eat as green beans and get left on the vine. I pick them just when the pods start to dry out for a treat that's completely different than if you let them dry completely. Either way, boil them in water until tender and dress them with the remaining ingredients.
Sounds good, will have to try them next year like that. My beans are toast now for the season.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old September 23, 2014   #83
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

So what is TexMex?

There are so many thoughts on this question. I think the true answer is in the eye of the beholder. I have many friends that think it means nothing to do with food and they might be right.

TexMex is honestly a cuisine in itself. The use of Comino or Cumin comes from Indian cuisine. For a majority of Texans - it ain't right without Cumin or Comino in it.

Fajitas are TexMex. Around where I live, you can get skirt steak fajitas in every other place to eat there is. Nowadays, you can get chicken, turkey, shrimp, lobster, and even deer fajitas. I'd try moose and polar bear fajitas if you spice it up right.

Chili Con Carne is what the rest of the world knows as, "Chili". It is 100% TexMex, but other dishes with next to nothing in similarity try to compare. Chili competitions happen here in the summer much less in the colder weeks.

But that is an outside view of what TexMex really is. I wrote the above using google/wiki for examples. I left out how the use of cheese beans are TexMex too.

I personally cook a majority of my dishes reflecting TexMex and Cajun styles. After all, I live much closer to Louisiana than I do Mexico. But as we all do, we choose our favorites from around the world. My favorite recipe has nothing to do with any certain region in the form of calling it that areas' specialty.

Mexican/TexMex, how do you cook Dorado?
Old September 23, 2014   #84
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Here, the one Tex-Mex restaurant that proclaims itself as such is staffed totally by South Americans. In fact, the Mexicans seem to have largely moved elsewhere and the Central and South Americans have moved in. Caribbean restaurants have also grown in number. I had always thought of Tex-Mex as just hotter and spicier Mexican staples. Finding true Mexican dishes like anything with goat is hard, never mind pozole or more challenging things like menudo, or even a real taco al pastor. Even finding a real bowl of red is hard...and I despise beans in mine, though sometimes I do love a plate of Cincinnati style over spaghetti ...which is just weird.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #85
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes a person has to step up to the plate and take charge.
I now proclaim myself as the official Tex/Mex food authenticator.

So Tex/Mex from now on all across the land is what I say it is.

Somebody had to do it.
Will people listen?
Not likely.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #86
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Sometimes a person has to step up to the plate and take charge.
I now proclaim myself as the official Tex/Mex food authenticator.

So Tex/Mex from now on all across the land is what I say it is.

Somebody had to do it.
Will people listen?
Not likely.

Worth
I'd be inclined to believe what you believe is "Tex-Mex" is indeed the real thing. But then I'm from waaaaaaay up north...so what do I know about Tex-Mex, except that I've liked almost everything I've tried while in Texas under that banner. But not always when trying it elsewhere.

I am no authority on Tex-Mex. I've had some great stuff...and some stuff I wouldn't serve a starving dog. However, I do love to cook and learn new ways to cook. After all, being Armenian, I grew up hearing that "We live to eat, rather than eat to live!". And unfortunately my waistline/butt can validate that statement....lol

So go for it Worth - self-proclaimed Tex-Mex Guru.

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old September 23, 2014   #87
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
I'd be inclined to believe what you believe is "Tex-Mex" is indeed the real thing. But then I'm from waaaaaaay up north...so what do I know about Tex-Mex, except that I've liked almost everything I've tried while in Texas under that banner. But not always when trying it elsewhere.

I am no authority on Tex-Mex. I've had some great stuff...and some stuff I wouldn't serve a starving dog. However, I do love to cook and learn new ways to cook. After all, being Armenian, I grew up hearing that "We live to eat, rather than eat to live!". And unfortunately my waistline/butt can validate that statement....lol

So go for it Worth - self-proclaimed Tex-Mex Guru.
Zana, At first I was laughing and then I thought about wanting to lose that extra 50 pounds for 22 years now...

Last edited by AlittleSalt; September 23, 2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old September 23, 2014   #88
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Zana, At first I was laughing and then I thought about wanting to lose that extra 50 pounds for 22 years now...
Thanks ALS!

I feel your pain. Took me 3 years to drop almost 60lbs. Then the docs put me on meds in the spring of 2013 and gained back 30 of that in 6 weeks as one of the side effects. Needless to say I wasn't happy. Still have about 15 of that to lose. Funny how go off those meds and only 15lbs drop off fairly easily but the other 15lbs have been a lot harder. And still have more to lose after that....paying for all the years of screwing up my knees playing sports that have limited my mobility in recent years, which makes it harder to work it off.

So in the mean time I've been tweaking family recipes to low-cal/low-carb/no wheat. At least some cuisines fall into that naturally. Unfortunately some of the Armenian or Scottish ones don't.

But I love the flavours of tex-mex and wish there was more authentic stuff available here. Guess I need another trip down to Texas to restock. LOL

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old September 23, 2014   #89
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Shrimp tacos with mango salsa the other night. Nothing fancy, just replaced tomatoes with mangoes in a pico de gallo. Shrimp baked with cumin, chile and garlic for 6-8 minutes.
Served on corn tortillas with shredded cabbage. Next time, will make a creamy yogurt sauce to top it off.
Old September 23, 2014   #90
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Shrimp tacos with mango salsa the other night. Nothing fancy, just replaced tomatoes with mangoes in a pico de gallo. Shrimp baked with cumin, chile and garlic for 6-8 minutes.
Served on corn tortillas with shredded cabbage. Next time, will make a creamy yogurt sauce to top it off.
Yum...sounds like it was good...with or without the yoghurt sauce.

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer