Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old October 17, 2011   #46
Ostara
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
Post your favorite eggplant recipes here. :wink:
I've got tears in my eyes now. What a beautiful poet. I have a sheppard, she is 10 years now. I'm afraid to think about that she will die in a few years

Ostara
Ostara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2011   #47
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Thessaly Creamy Eggplant Pie - Greek

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 11 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : LowerCarbs Veggie

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 large eggplants -- about 4 pounds total
salt -- to taste
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 large onions -- coarsely chopped
1/2 cup milk
4 large eggs
1 pound Greek feta cheese -- crumbled
freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
1 pound commercial phyllo dough sheets -- defrosted and at room temperature
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil -- to 4 tablespoons, for brushing phyllo

• Peel the eggplants and cut them into 1-inch cubes.
• Place in layers in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt.
• Place a plate over the eggplants, place a weight on top of the plate, and leave the eggplants to drain over a bowl or the sink for 1 hour.
• Rinse with ample water and drain thoroughly.
• Pat the eggplant cubes dry.

• Heat olive oil in a large, wide pot over medium heat and cook the onions for a few minutes, stirring, to soften.
• Add the eggplant cubes, toss to coat with oil, and cook, stirring, until the eggplant is tender, about 8 minutes.
• Remove from the heat and let cool.

Beat the milk and eggs together and add them to the eggplant mixture.
Add the feta and toss everything together.
Adjust the seasonings with additional salt and pepper.

• Lightly oil a 13x18-inch baking pan that is 2 inches deep. Preheat the oven to
• 375F.
• Open the phyllo and place on a work surface.
• Cover with a cloth to keep it from drying out.
• Place the first sheet of phyllo inside the baking pan, allowing the excess to hang over the edge.
• Brush with olive oil.
• Repeat the next sheet, aligning it so that the excess hangs over the opposite edge.
• Brush with the olive oil.
• Repeat with 6 more sheets, letting the excess hang over the alternating edges so that there is enough excess phyllo to roll up and form a decorative rim once the pie is completely assembled.
• Spread the filling evenly over the phyllo.
• Cover with 6 more sheets, letting the excess hang over alternate edges and brushing over with olive oil.
• Take the bottom and top excess phyllo and roll it up together around the perimeter of the pie to make a rim.
• Sprinkle the top lightly with water and score the pie into serving pieces without cutting all the way to the bottom.
• Bake until golden, about 1 hour.
• Remove from the oven, cool for at least a half hour, and serve.

Makes 10 to 12 servings

AuthorNote: My mother-in-law introduced me to the eggplant pies for Thessaly.
There are many recipes for pie filled with eggplant, and the dish is something of a regional specialty, found very seldom in other parts of Greece. The filling is so substantial that, on first bite, most people think they are eating meat.

ChupaNote: I like to add red peppers and green onions or leeks to the eggplant in this pie. Sun-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives are also a good addition.

Cuisine: "Greek"
Source: "The Glorious Foods of Greece by Diane Kochilas, 2001"
S(Formatted by Chupa Babi):
"Oct 2011"
Yield: "1 pie"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 441 Calories; 27g Fat (67.3% calories
from fat); 13g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 115mg Cholesterol;
696mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0
Non-Fat Milk; 4 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : Borek - Melitzanopita

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #48
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I love green curry with eggplant. I just use the green curry paste from any Asian store or even the grocery store. Mix with a can of coconut milk. One or two teaspoons, depending on desired heat level. A bit of fish sauce. I usually make it with tofu. Get the tofu nice and browned ( use the firm tofu) with a tiny bit of hot oil. Add the eggplant, some onions. Pour in the curry/ coconut milk and let simmer. Serve with mint and basil leaves on top, some rice on the side. Delicious, easy and nutritious.
You can get a huge container of curry paste at most Asian groceries. This recipe is also good with the red curry paste but I just prefer the green.
I prefer the thin skinned, Asian type eggplant for this recipe. Just cut in bite sized chunks, don't peel it.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2014   #49
rws-NH-45
Tomatovillian™

I eat eggplant sandwiches -- for breakfast -- when they are yielding heavily. Must have fresh tomatoes to go with them.

Put a little oil in a frying pan, cut 1/2 inch slices length-wise, cook until they are to your liking (10 minutes?). Put on toast -- a good hearty slice of bread is needed. Add a big slice of tomato (1/2 inch minimum), some fresh basil, and a slice of provolone cheese.

This really gets me going (once I wash the tomato juice off my chin).

good luck all,
Dick

Last edited by rws-NH-45; February 5, 2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: left out something
rws-NH-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #50
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

This is my favorite way to make Eggplant. It is not healthy but it tastes pretty darn good. I made this up, so I don't have exact measurements listed.

Eggplant
Buttermilk
Panko Bread Crumbs
Hot sauce
Whatever seasonings you like or have on hand...salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red peppers etc.
Cooking Oil
Heinz Chili Sauce (or if you have a homemade chili sauce recipe,you can use that)

Peel the eggplant and discard the skin. Cut the Eggplant into long strips. I cut my strips about the size of large french fries. Heat some oil on the stove. You want the oil to be able to cover a layer of eggplant pieces, so use a good amount. Pour some buttermilk into a bowl, then add the hot sauce and stir. Use as much hot sauce as you like. In a separate bowl mix together the Panko bread crumbs with seasonings of your choice. Dip each strip of eggplant into the buttermilk mixture and then into the bread crumb mixture. Make sure your oil is hot. Add the eggplant in batches to the oil. Fry for a few minutes until brown. Use the Chili sauce as a dip.

Last edited by Christa B.; February 13, 2015 at 12:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Christa B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2017   #51
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I was given an eggplant at the growers market last weekend. and I haven't eaten any eggplant for years. Since I had this nice eggplant I searched this site for recipes and lo and behold....here is a few recipes. I just used Craig L's recipe in post #2 of this thread and it came out great. I added 3 ground aji amarillo peppers and 1/2 tsp of tomato powder I made last winter. My wife even liked it and she's no fan of eggplant.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2017   #52
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

One way I know to cook eggplant is pan frying. Other way is in the oven, if you don't want lots of calories. But oil makes it more tasty.
My favorite recipe is eggplant Parmesan. For this one you pan fry half done and son on.
Today I had some pan fry eggplant with some on fry fish. Very good.

Tip: If your eggplants are s bit bitter, slice them and sprinkle some salt on it, set them in a colander and the water come out. Along the water the bitterness come out too. Plus it gives eggplant a better texture, not too watery.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #53
Hensaplenty
Tomatovillian™

Here's a very simple, tasty eggplant bake:

Peel eggplant and slice into 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick rounds. Place each round on parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle each slice with a little olive oil, salt, pepper & Italian seasoning to taste. Next, top each eggplant slice with a 1/4 inch slice of fresh tomato. Use multiple slices if needed to cover the entire slice of eggplant. Sprinkle each tomato with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, olive oil AND Parmesan cheese to taste.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes. (Until cheese is beginning to brown.) This is delicious and SO easy!
Hensaplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018   #54
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

We generally skillet fry in breadcrumbs or panko. Eat plain or prepared that way and put into eggplant parm. The problem is getting a lot at once. Last year we froze a number of prepared eggplant parm, and that is great to pull out during winter, but takes up a lot of space in the freezer and was work to prep and freeze. At some point last year it was just too much and we went through them and pressure canned a batch, 7 quarts. We were skeptical of the results; it's not a pretty jar of pickled peppers.

After many moons I finally pulled a jar out and popped it...it turns out it is very neutral flavored, not bad in the least. The texture is very soft, like cooked summer squash. The color is grayish. The first thing I did was make a pot of knorr vegetable soup and used the juice as part of the water requirement, then added in the eggplant when the dehydrated vegetables were done. I must say it was really good this way and filled out the soup nicely.
So, worse comes to worst, if you have extra jars, pressure can it and throw it in some soup.

Last edited by JRinPA; June 13, 2018 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Last year not this year
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018   #55
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

One of my favorites from the Philippines:

Top of Form

Tortang Talong – A Healthy Eggplant Omelet Recipe
Tortang Talong is a healthy eggplant recipes that Filipino loves to cook because it’s budget friendly and very tasty. Yes, making this recipe needs little bit of patience because of the grilling or broiling, peeling then cooking it again… but the end result is very satisfying.
Anyways, hope you like this traditional way of cooking tortang talong which is just a simple eggplant omelet. When I serve this dish, I usually add spicy ketchup in the menu but others prefer soy sauce with calamansi.
Ingredients :
  • 2 to 4 talong (eggplants), average size
  • 2 to 3 eggs, beaten
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • oil, for frying
(Food Measurement)
Cooking Procedures :
  1. Broil eggplants until tender (the skins are charred and blister appears).
  2. Once cool, peel off the skins of the eggplant and retain the crown and the stem. Gently flatten its meat by using the back of a fork. Set aside.
  3. In a bowl, beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
  4. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Dip each eggplant, one at a time into the egg mixture. Gently bring the bowl near the skillet and tip, lowering the eggplant onto the heated oil.
  5. Fry until golden brown on one side, then turn and brown the other. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm and serve.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018   #56
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

For years I have searched for the eggplant recipe that I used to eat in State College back in the late 90s. The dish was called "Wonderful Eggplant" and was one of the options at a chinese lunch special place on College Ave near the University Bookstore. 3 items +rice, 3.99, 4 times+ rice, 4.99. I knew little about cooking back then, not much more now, and can't even describe it well, but it was awesome. Spicy, must have been deep fried, but really no coating of crumbs or anything. I remember I asked the owner (the lady that always wore a jacket/dress and makeup and handled the register) if I could get the recipe, and her reply was of course "you come back tomorrow, get more". The place was gone a few years later and I've never tasted anything that compares.
Old June 13, 2018   #57
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to link here the recipe I posted a few posts down, for 'Romanian (and generally balkan) style eggplant salad' and how to get it right.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....4&postcount=20
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018   #58
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
For years I have searched for the eggplant recipe that I used to eat in State College back in the late 90s. The dish was called "Wonderful Eggplant" and was one of the options at a chinese lunch special place on College Ave near the University Bookstore. 3 items +rice, 3.99, 4 times+ rice, 4.99. I knew little about cooking back then, not much more now, and can't even describe it well, but it was awesome. Spicy, must have been deep fried, but really no coating of crumbs or anything. I remember I asked the owner (the lady that always wore a jacket/dress and makeup and handled the register) if I could get the recipe, and her reply was of course "you come back tomorrow, get more". The place was gone a few years later and I've never tasted anything that compares.

Would any of these recipes be close to the dish you are looking for?

Zipcode, we often had eggplant dip in the summer, spread or dunked on french sourdough bread toasted lightly.

My Mom also made a stuffed eggplant dish, with scooped out eggplants ( with a small cut on the "down" side to make them steady in the pan and plate) stuffed with a bread sausage mix ( onions, celery, garlic, eggs and milk) after painting the eggplant inside with a tomato sauce, stuffed it, added a cross of tomato sauce over the top and baked/steamed them in the oven with a small amount of water, covered at first, then uncovered to brown.

Sometimes the stuffing varied with mozzarella or shrimp or crab.

The haying crew used to beg Mom to make it at least twice during cuttings, LOL!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018   #59
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

It was probably something like chilhuacle's post#13. Or maybe post#22 by fert1, spicy eggplant. It was big chunks and cross sections maybe 1.5" thick, but sometimes 3" diameter. Probably a wok and peanut oil and a bunch of MSG. I have no idea on the spices though. It looked terrible but the texture was amazing and the taste was out of this world. I do remember it got to the point that I would ask to make sure they had it before I started ordering; if not I'd go to a sub shop. They had a few other good dishes but most of it was standard frozen box chinese american restaurant fare.

Maybe I will have to figure a way to use a wok in this kitchen - glass top stove and not much counter space.
Old June 14, 2018   #60
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
One of my favorites from the Philippines:

Top of Form

Tortang Talong – A Healthy Eggplant Omelet Recipe
Tortang Talong is a healthy eggplant recipes that Filipino loves to cook because it’s budget friendly and very tasty. Yes, making this recipe needs little bit of patience because of the grilling or broiling, peeling then cooking it again… but the end result is very satisfying.
Anyways, hope you like this traditional way of cooking tortang talong which is just a simple eggplant omelet. When I serve this dish, I usually add spicy ketchup in the menu but others prefer soy sauce with calamansi.
Ingredients :
  • 2 to 4 talong (eggplants), average size
  • 2 to 3 eggs, beaten
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • oil, for frying
(Food Measurement)
Cooking Procedures :
  1. Broil eggplants until tender (the skins are charred and blister appears).
  2. Once cool, peel off the skins of the eggplant and retain the crown and the stem. Gently flatten its meat by using the back of a fork. Set aside.
  3. In a bowl, beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
  4. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Dip each eggplant, one at a time into the egg mixture. Gently bring the bowl near the skillet and tip, lowering the eggplant onto the heated oil.
  5. Fry until golden brown on one side, then turn and brown the other. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm and serve.
Still my favorite way to eat eggplant too. We freeze the eggplant in volume after the peeling phase, so its easy to prepare for a meal. Sometimes we chop the cooked eggplant into an omelet too.

We also use eggplant in the Filipino soup/stew pinakbet; just made a batch last Sunday. Pinakbet is a very flexible recipe, you can throw almost any vegetable into it, and it is good with- or without meat (we usually use beef). Along with the eggplant, we use kabocha squash, long beans, lima beans (or fresh shellies), and tomato, with a sour soup base.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote