Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old November 11, 2011   #1
ljp
Tomatovillian™

Default varieties for bins -- suggestions?

I grew Bintje potatoes in bins and found all the potatoes right at the bottom of the bin. I thought a late potato would form tubers along the covered stem. I guess I should be looking for potatoes that need hilling. I have a friend that grows a red variety in pails successfully but he doesn't know the variety.

I expect I'm looking for an older variety that hasn't been optimized for commercial growing.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2011   #2
Catherine+two
Tomatovillian™

Have you read the Kenosha Potato Project information? Part of that project is growing in bins, and the author is keeping track of potatoes that work best. You have to read through the catalog for clues on the best for bins.

http://www.kenoshapotato.com/

Catherine
Catherine+two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2011   #3
ljp
Tomatovillian™

thanks Catherine
Old November 25, 2011   #4
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Hi Catherine,i know that Moie moie are very good grown in bin/large pots,hopefuly all goes well for Wendy growing them so you'll be able to try them at some stage.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2011   #5
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

So far 3 pulls are growing happy under lights from Moie-Moie...long way to go fingers crossed.
Old November 27, 2011   #6
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post
So far 3 pulls are growing happy under lights from Moie-Moie...long way to go fingers crossed.
Yep a wee way to go yet hey but looking good going by your other post, they will be a good one for that purpose though as they are a variety that grow above ground tubers well.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2011   #7
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Libj, check out this report from Curzio on the Kenosha potato project. He compiled a list varieties by yield and where he found the potatoes like near the surface or below the seed potato etc. This can help you decide what to grow in bins or containers.

http://www.kenoshapotato.com/stats/11SmartYieldB.pdf
Old December 4, 2011   #8
ljp
Tomatovillian™

I looked at the potato project site. The potatoes I grew should have been a good choice; however, I had one layer of potatoes on the bottom of the bin. It looked like someone packed them. I did start with two feet of mulch but it shrunk to a little under a foot. Would the growing medium be the problem.
Old December 4, 2011   #9
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

It could have been the soil/mulch. This year for me was dissapointing yields overall. I had one raised bed that had not enough soil so I got some peat moss blend to bulk the soil and the plants were lush but not much production which I attribute to excess Nitrogen since my normal 50% compost/50% garden soil raised beds did much better.
Old December 4, 2011   #10
ljp
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to try the bjinte again; but, I'm having a problem with scab. Bjinte is susceptible. I can't leave the bins empty for 3 or 4 years so I'm looking for another potato.