Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 29, 2018   #31
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

"Probably your growing season, right?"

Usually, although I am usually giving up in August, unless I think the plant can make it through September to October , when things are good again. My peppers always make it, and do great in October and November, but the tomatoes don't seem worth it. It's pretty easy to just BUY tomatoes by then. Don't tell anybody Unsaid that!
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #32
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

I don't run peat, but as the bark breaks down in mine, I add more bark and coarse vermi every year until I feel the change. The peat on BX is better than the ~$12~ per 4CU bag of peat one usually get's at the big box, IMO - so it does not compress as much as over the seasons.

Just for the helluva it this year, I threw some tone in my container amenment, which consists of CRF, lime/epsom and some TT as well. I do use liquids as my containers are fabric pots and my mix is light, so everything washes out..

Uggh on the solarization. Right now, I have not needed to on my pots but it looks like one particular veg. bed has the baddies in them and I might need to treat the soil
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #33
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

For container gardening, the solarizing gives you something to do with the mix while you wait for the new season. I almost think of it as worthwhile storage.

Last year I only solarized a few of the EB b/c I was starting over with mix but usually I solarize them all.

I solarize mine from probably mid-July through Early/Mid-October when I do the transplants. The solarizing bags hold up well; even last year during the hurricane, the EB got tossed around but the bag stayed totally in place without any splitting/holes.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #34
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
For container gardening, the solarizing gives you something to do with the mix while you wait for the new season. I almost think of it as worthwhile storage.

Last year I only solarized a few of the EB b/c I was starting over with mix but usually I solarize them all.

I solarize mine from probably mid-July through Early/Mid-October when I do the transplants. The solarizing bags hold up well; even last year during the hurricane, the EB got tossed around but the bag stayed totally in place without any splitting/holes.
Barb, are you still using the Husky 3mil clear bags? I use those and they hold up really well.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #35
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Sounds like this became the EB Forum. Does anybody here use Larry Hall's Walmart fabric bag rain gutter system, or just 5-gallon buckets with drip?

I never completed an EarthBox yet... tried about 8-10 years ago--had (2) 18 gallon Sterilites, bought some net-pots, a stick of 1.25" PVC, zip-ties, etc., but never finished one---it seemed like many conflicting ideas (many got BER, don't use compost, only certain fertilizers, cheesy hardware store tomato cages, etc.) everything was the opposite of what I had in stock/already bought, so the outlay for 60-80 plants was unaffordable for me, not to mention using 2 Rubbermaids to make one EB. Oh! And pine bark fines are some magical item that only appear in a leap year during a full solar eclipse only visable above the 43rd parallel, that or they are just non-existent here...
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #36
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Sounds like this became the EB Forum. Does anybody here use Larry Hall's Walmart fabric bag rain gutter system, or just 5-gallon buckets with drip?

I never completed an EarthBox yet... tried about 8-10 years ago--had (2) 18 gallon Sterilites, bought some net-pots, a stick of 1.25" PVC, zip-ties, etc., but never finished one---it seemed like many conflicting ideas (many got BER, don't use compost, only certain fertilizers, cheesy hardware store tomato cages, etc.) everything was the opposite of what I had in stock/already bought, so the outlay for 60-80 plants was unaffordable for me, not to mention using 2 Rubbermaids to make one EB. Oh! And pine bark fines are some magical item that only appear in a leap year during a full solar eclipse only visable above the 43rd parallel, that or they are just non-existent here...
You are thinking Earthtainers. Earthboxes are different size, not made of Rubbermaid, no bark fines. Bought, not homemade.
Old May 29, 2018   #37
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Barb, are you still using the Husky 3mil clear bags? I use those and they hold up really well.
Yes; I don't think there is anything better out there. Last year I only solarized 4 EB so I still have bags left over.
Old May 30, 2018   #38
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

"For container gardening, the solarizing gives you something to do with the mix while you wait for the new season. I almost think of it as worthwhile storage."

That makes sense, but I find myself wanting to use them year round.

Here are my fall-winter-spring peas (sweet peas, sugar snaps. I still grow favas in the ground.

I also do shallots, garlic, potatoes in the cool season. Ths year I will try to rest a few boxes August and September.

ETA One of these things is not like the others. #5 doesn't belong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180529_194242.jpg (411.4 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180510_174616.jpg (449.4 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180510_174549.jpg (395.2 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180519_111550.jpg (739.6 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170808_183744343.jpg (379.8 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170421_101857515.jpg (308.6 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 30, 2018 at 05:32 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2018   #39
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
You are thinking Earthtainers. Earthboxes are different size, not made of Rubbermaid, no bark fines. Bought, not homemade.
Thanks for straightening that out! That would make matters worse if I had to buy EB's!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2018   #40
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Thanks for straightening that out! That would make matters worse if I had to buy EB's!
Old May 30, 2018   #41
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

OT. For all you southerners, don't ur plastic EB's get brittle over time ? Unless you don't move them much so the edges, etc you don't see how brittle they can get ? I swore off plastic containers a long time ago. The only ones I have is 2 really large double walled (insulated) containers that flank the garage doors but these actually come with a 10 yr warranty from the manuf.
Old May 30, 2018   #42
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
OT. For all you southerners, don't ur plastic EB's get brittle over time ? Unless you don't move them much so the edges, etc you don't see how brittle they can get ? I swore off plastic containers a long time ago. The only ones I have is 2 really large double walled (insulated) containers that flank the garage doors but these actually come with a 10 yr warranty from the manuf.
Earth boxes are made out of a plastic that does not break down in the sun and the elements, so people are getting over 30 years out of them so far. . You buy them once.
Old May 30, 2018   #43
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

interesting......
Old May 30, 2018   #44
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
"For container gardening, the solarizing gives you something to do with the mix while you wait for the new season. I almost think of it as worthwhile storage."

That makes sense, but I find myself wanting to use them year round.

Here are my fall-winter-spring peas (sweet peas, sugar snaps. I still grow favas in the ground.

I also do shallots, garlic, potatoes in the cool season. Ths year I will try to rest a few boxes August and September.

ETA On when of these things is not like the kthers. #5 doesn't belong.
I would use them 12 months a year in that case also. I wouldn't even try to rest them even if it meant using more pro-mix.
Old June 1, 2018   #45
elight
Tomatovillian™

I have three EarthTainers. Two have survived 2 years in the northeast and 4.5 years in Florida, the other one just 4 years in Florida. They look a tad rough but have yet to crack or stop functioning in any way. I'd say I got my money's worth. I clean them out once a year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
elight is offline   Reply With Quote