Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 26, 2024   #1
crunch1224
Tomatovillian™

Default Rounding up this years seeds

Been minute since I posted so I figured might as well.

Lately I have been using Etsy for some of my seed source, and wow the struggle is real . I have had to get two refunds so far due to no delivery. This was after I waited over two weeks for delivery... So almost a month in wasted time... Not is all lost though. I received about 95% of my seeds in total from other vendors, so my garden will still be mostly what I wanted to grow and im not held at the mercy of what I can get at local green houses.

Chicago pickling cucumber seeds has been a pain in the butt to source out a reputable place. Maybe im just to cautious .

If all goes well I will be growing Chicago, Boston, National pickling cucumbers this season. I grew Marketmore 76 last year and the taste after pickling was excellent but the crispness wasnt enough for me.

I am reducing the different variety's of peppers this season to just a few types. The family cant handle the heat like I can and I way over produced. So I was kinda stuck with a mountain of peppers taking up space in the freezer. I managed to can (pickle) a ton of them, but still had half a freezer full. I will be growing mostly Jalapenos and some other mild peppers. I will grow a couple cayenne's because I like putting them in my pickles when I can them.

I am also reducing the different variety's of tomato's im growing this year as well. I changed up how I can my tomatoes last year and wow using slicers to make marinara sauce uses up a ton of tomatoes. So this year I am growing mostly paste tomatoes. La Roma III, Giant Garden paste, Hungarian Heart (its a oxheart), for my sauces, and a few slicers. I originally had 12 different types of paste tomatoes picked out but settled on 2. I usually dont grow any paste tomatoes so this year will be a learning year. I will be Florida weaving the La Roma III and planting them around 2' apart. They are determinate and grow to about 3' tall. The rest will be caged.

Im sticking with Bluelake 274 for my green beans. I love these green beans to death . They need a little dirt pushed up on them as they grow to keep them standing but thats not to much of a hassle. My plants get so heavy with beans its nuts.

Last year I went nuts with the zucchini, so this year im cutting way back. My god I had so many. Im growing Black Beauty and Genovese zucchini this year.

The rest of the garden is herbs and a few odds and ends like Okra, garlic ect... Hope everyone is doing well out there. I hate winter and im glad spring is almost here.
crunch1224 is offline   Reply With Quote